Bourbon

Jimbaround

20 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Annual fly fishing trip this weekend, the Tribute to red meat, and brown liquor weekend Vol. 18. The OF family was on the menu for the weekend along with the regular standards Blantons, Eagle rare, Bulleit, EH Taylor, Makers.  Had Michters small batch for the first time, damn good stuff. It's going in the rotation. 

Lamb chops, venison sausage, Bacon wrapped venison chunks, smoked pork butts, tuna steaks, NY strips, and assorted other meat offerings were had by all. 

FullSizeRender-287 copy 2.jpg

FullSizeRender-287 copy.jpg

FullSizeRender-287.jpg

coastal or freshwater flyfishing?   Nice liquor and food selection.  that's the fine life, baby.

23 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

coastal or freshwater flyfishing?   Nice liquor and food selection.  that's the fine life, baby.

We were in the Blue Ridge mountains on the Jackson river, Sort of southwestern Va. about 2,000 elevation. You're fishing for Brook, Brown, Rainbow trout, and the odd smallmouth. Most run in the 10-12" range, but I've pulled a couple 18" trout out. We do catch, and release.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m moving across country and movers aren’t allowed to haul alcohol. I can only fit a couple cases in the car. There are probably two cases of good bourbon I need to drink before the end of the month. This could get dangerous 

Rent a U haul.

22 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m moving across country and movers aren’t allowed to haul alcohol. I can only fit a couple cases in the car. There are probably two cases of good bourbon I need to drink before the end of the month. This could get dangerous 

I moved from the Heights to Memorial and I was able to put everything in my car. It took two trips, but I made it work. I used a hodge-podge of soft coolers and extra boxes. 

Moving across country is another ball game, but the bottles are heartier than you think. I think if you wrapped everything well and filled your trunk, most if not all your bottles would survive the trip. 

If all else fails, 3 Men Movers moved a case of booze I forgot about without incident. 

20 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I moved from the Heights to Memorial and I was able to put everything in my car. It took two trips, but I made it work. I used a hodge-podge of soft coolers and extra boxes. 

Moving across country is another ball game, but the bottles are heartier than you think. I think if you wrapped everything well and filled your trunk, most if not all your bottles would survive the trip. 

If all else fails, 3 Men Movers moved a case of booze I forgot about without incident. 

Yeah this is a one trip only deal. I’m not going to hire an extra set of movers to move a couple cases of bourbon across 10 states. I have two cases that are valuable to me, which will make the cut with clothes and dogs but the rest will be drank, sold, or donated. 

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I did not know this was a thing, and will be moving across the country later this year.  Thank you for making me aware of this, bourbon purchases are now on pause and I will begin to plow through what is on hand.

4 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

It's a huge imposition, but I can help.  Go ahead and send me whatever you can't drink.

4 hours ago, RichUT said:

In addition to the advice I provided above, I want to clarify that they can’t haul any OPEN bottles of alcohol. They can absolutely haul anything that still has the original seal intact.

Thanks, this might have saved a few soldiers.

• Like 1

Caught one of my white whales today. I have never ever seen a Michter’s on a shelf that wasn’t their standard bourbon/rye/sour mash/unblended whiskey...until today.

Priced at $159, which is a secondary price I happily paid.

2322356c8772ae9acff868d70ec93589.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s $100 under secondary.
Nice score

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

72a975f7c6f7f0db34c982d830b6b2a6.jpg

These guys didn’t make the first cut

I’m probably going to drink the W12 and Boone 12 before I leave.

Is this where I offer to send a shipping tag and you see a nice little bump in your Venmo?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

That’s $100 under secondary.
Nice score

Exactly.  That was secondary about a year and a half ago.  Barrel Strength is better than M10 rye so even at $160 you’re winning. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Which ones? 

Looked like ER, EH Small Batch, and Stagg Jr from the HTX Bourbon Hunter account. So nothing terribly hard to find, but stuff I wouldn't mind getting at near MSRP

On 4/22/2021 at 2:20 PM, usmc0331horn said:

Being brand new to bourbon, what should I definitely have in my home bar? I drank some Woodford yesterday and it was decent but I have no idea what is good or isn't at a decent price. I've consumed many if not most of the white whale beers and think I'm ready to move on to our beloved bourbons.

ahh gotcha.  didn't notice.

Edited by 4th&Five

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Spec's Larceny picks have been hit or miss. If you're going to go that route, I'd recommend Ly's/NASA Larceny picks. I haven't had a bad one yet, and they're under $25. 

Had a bad one from Total a few weeks ago, and I like Larceny more than most.

17 minutes ago, SMUlawUTgrad said:

Going to whisky cake bay brook for the first time tonight. I think wife and friend chose it thinking it would fit the niche for me.

Anything I should look out for or will it just have a lot of regular shelf filler at higher prices?

I’ve been to that location twice. They have everything you’d ever want, but bring your second mortgage. The BTAC pours are $45, and Pappy is more. “Good value” at $21 for EH Taylor Barrel Proof. There are many other good pours in the $20-35 range. I believe Elmer is $14. 

If it’s still on the menu, I’d recommend the duck. 

• Like 1

I’ve been to that location twice. They have everything you’d ever want, but bring your second mortgage. The BTAC pours are $45, and Pappy is more. “Good value” at $21 for EH Taylor Barrel Proof. There are many other good pours in the $20-35 range. I believe Elmer is $14. 

If it’s still on the menu, I’d recommend the duck. 

That’s the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks!

37 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

Is that a store pick? Can’t speak to that, really enjoyed the regular bottle.

Yep it is Empire Liquor. Plano's location got 20 bottles and Allen got 30 bottles. There was a little line to get in the store this morning to get it. A buddy of mine recommended it to me and said I would not be disappointed. 

38 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

07d87e345c9f8a6edec230b474ac0863.jpg
Sad to see this one go.

I need to try this one. My sister's ex bf put me onto Weller's some years ago. The basic green bottle. But it was a great taste for me for the price point. But I haven't had it in a few years and never explored the rest of their line.