Bourbon

Jimbaround

5 hours ago, RichUT said:

I thought the general belief was that Elmer has gotten increasingly younger due to how high demand has gotten. I was reading a comparison to Blanton’s somewhere that said at this point both are 5-7 years old.

Full disclosure, the guy that takes care of our group pulled out an Elmer for us last week at a price of $55. We bought it, but there were more than a couple of guys openly asking if we’d be smarter selling it. We aren’t about to burn our supplier like that so we cracked it this weekend, but nobody was able to discern why it sells for 6x retail on the secondary.

Is ER still 10 years, or is that a without an age statement too? 

17 hours ago, RichUT said:

I thought the general belief was that Elmer has gotten increasingly younger due to how high demand has gotten. I was reading a comparison to Blanton’s somewhere that said at this point both are 5-7 years old.

Full disclosure, the guy that takes care of our group pulled out an Elmer for us last week at a price of $55. We bought it, but there were more than a couple of guys openly asking if we’d be smarter selling it. We aren’t about to burn our supplier like that so we cracked it this weekend, but nobody was able to discern why it sells for 6x retail on the secondary.

I don’t understand $300 ETL at all for drinking purposes.  If you just need one for your tater shelf I guess I understand playing a FB for it, but otherwise it just makes no sense. 

It feels like people who would normally gamble for actual dollars in Vegas are now exclusively gambling on bourbon and it’s hell on the market. 

I don’t see the bourbon craze getting better any time soon. It’s significantly cheaper than scotch and it tastes better. Not to mention bourbon has significant resell value. It’s a pretty easy way to turn 50 bucks into $300. 

I’m hopeful tequila gradually improves things. I don’t think it’s a bourbon killer, but some relief. It’s marketed well, has some cool decorative bottles, and the taters are starting to sniff around it. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I’m not a Barrell fan so I’m out like Fred Minnick in an opinions that matter competition. But if that’s your jam, go wild. At least we can all still agree that Garrison Bros is overpriced swill

Don’t think we can, actually. It’s over priced for sure, but it’s most certainly not swill in my book. I quite like it.
  • Like 1

We've got a guys trip to Louisville this fall and a probable hookup with a prominent American whisky family.

Don't know what we're going to hit, but I'm hopeful that there will be 4 to 6 tastings over the 3+ day weekend.

And that's all that I have to say about that.

I’m not a Barrell fan so I’m out like Fred Minnick in an opinions that matter competition. But if that’s your jam, go wild. At least we can all still agree that Garrison Bros is overpriced swill

This got more of a chuckle out of me than it probably should have. Anything at his expense is gold.

Question for the Houston folks. Will be spending the weekend with some friends down in Friendswood / Crystal Beach. Any of those south Houston stores have any good store picks sitting on shelves worth picking up? I know the usuals fly off the shelves, but it’s not uncommon for a good 1792 BiB or something to sit for a while. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bought a house in Cypress and will be moving up there end of June. Any suggestions on liquor stores in the area around fry road and 290? I'd like to pick one to use primarily in hopes that I can make a good connection and get some nice bottle's once in a while.

8 hours ago, H_Boogie said:

This got more of a chuckle out of me than it probably should have. Anything at his expense is gold.

Question for the Houston folks. Will be spending the weekend with some friends down in Friendswood / Crystal Beach. Any of those south Houston stores have any good store picks sitting on shelves worth picking up? I know the usuals fly off the shelves, but it’s not uncommon for a good 1792 BiB or something to sit for a while. Thanks

Paging @SMUlawUTgrad

9 hours ago, H_Boogie said:

If you are going to be on Crystal Beach you can hit up Island Liquor.  They have a surprisingly great (albeit 20-30% high) selection.  I've bought ECBP there for $90.  If the owner is there schmooz him up and he has some shit in the back he will show off and occasionally sell.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RichUT said:

Damn right. Barrell is delicious. I had my second date with Seagrass and I might be in love. That one is fan-fuckin-tastic.

Your syntax and your avatar match perfectly.  Can’t help but hear this in my head in Ron Swanson’s voice.

11 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Just bought a house in Cypress and will be moving up there end of June. Any suggestions on liquor stores in the area around fry road and 290? I'd like to pick one to use primarily in hopes that I can make a good connection and get some nice bottle's once in a while.

I wish I could help you out here Dutch. Unless I'm going to the outlets, I don't visit that part of town very often. The area seems ripe for a Longhorn Liquor location. 

I'd probably find the biggest Spec's store within 10 miles of your house and start there. If your office is in another part of town, you might have more luck there. 

On 5/22/2021 at 7:38 PM, BigDHornfan said:

Do not skip the Spec’s Angels Envy pick.
Fuck it is good!
c5972301387fe7336cde76e5418661d8.jpg

I got this bottle today. Spec's dude offered up that they had one left in the back and he'd get it for me.

I have no pull there, but shooting the shit and always being friendly eventually pays off. 

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Which bottles are these?

http://instagr.am/p/CPRsvEWsS2A/

The far right bottle is that Sweeten’s Cove bullshit that Peyton is shilling. From what I’ve heard it’s a $200+ drain pour.  The one to the left of that is Michter’s 10. Can’t tell what the other two are. 

Edited by Yev Kassem

3 hours ago, Fud said:

Which bottles are these?

http://instagr.am/p/CPRsvEWsS2A/

I'm guessing the Four Roses is one of the Japanese releases. Probably this one: 

Pretty unimpressive lineup for the Mannings when you consider Minnick's extensive collection. I mean hell, the Whiskey Neat guy will pull out gold vein Weller Antique on a random Tuesday night when he's drinking with his dog. 

Money will make some strange bedfellows. Minnick put out an unsubtle coded message in one of his YouTube videos to not buy Sweeten's Cove. 

23 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

He’s braggadocious until pressed on the intimate details of his operation. “Man, you’re not the IRS, right?” he nervously chuckles in reply to my string of questions surrounding his sourcing of vintage whiskeys.

The article reinforces a lot of my assumptions. 

- Only the top 0.01% of flippers are making real money. 

- Flippers have to work so many hours that they'd be better off working a real job. Flipping doesn't provide a 401k, health insurance, or unemployment insurance. Hell, I don't know these jokers don't try to get jobs at Republic and Glazier. If they're going to spend all day in liquor stores, might as well make a career out of it. 

- I have hesitancy around the illegality. I wouldn't suggest flipping in Pennsylvania and Ohio, and I'd be careful in other control states. Otherwise, the IRS and ATF have better things to do. I think a lot of liquor stores are hiding behind their TABC license and selling bottles at a 300% mark up. Many will only accept cash for allocated bottles, so I doubt they're paying taxes on those transactions. 

Bars struggling to get obtain bottles was a new one for me. I guess things are very different outside of Texas or Whiskey Cake employees are very afraid of losing their jobs. 

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

That whole article is rage inducing, but the first guy pisses me off the most for some reason.  Doesn't even drink and he's out there hoarding everything he can get his hands on.  If anyone knows who he is, the IRS will pay whistleblowers a percentage of what they get from the whistleblowing.  I'm just saying...

The whole system seems to be irreparably broken.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

That whole article is rage inducing, but the first guy pisses me off the most for some reason.  Doesn't even drink and he's out there hoarding everything he can get his hands on.  If anyone knows who he is, the IRS will pay whistleblowers a percentage of what they get from the whistleblowing.  I'm just saying...

The whole system seems to be irreparably broken.

I'd say Goody Goody has the most democratic system. Buy anything in the store, enter the raffle. 

If stores were serious about stopping flipping, they'd make customers remove the plastic or wax from the bottle before they left the store. This wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Doesn’t matter what the ETA is, you ain’t getting one. Just like the 18 year marriage, GOTG, and 4grain.

I pulled into a little Nevada meat market / deli to get a sandwich,  and found 2 bottles of 4 grain. I took the sandwich and 1 of the bottles to the counter, and the guy told me to go back and get the other one too. Out the door for $135 or so. Never had bought EHt before, now it's a favorite.