Bourbon

Jimbaround

You referring to one of the other port finish offerings? This was the Valley Tan in white port wine barrels they just released at the distillery on Saturday for Pioneer Days. Didn’t have the soapy finish on the glass for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First release of Valley Tan is what I was referring to, so I hope it’s improved for you!

Two thumbs all the way up on the Jack Rye SiB pick. Probably the best readily available rye I’ve tasted. Yes, I think it’s better than Pikesville. 

Just enough proof at 94. I’ll say it again, Jack Daniel’s is a rye company, they just don’t know it. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

Sipping on a Buffalo Trace Goody Goody pick right now. Pretty darned good. Perfect for a school night. 

Have you tried the Knob Creek SB since they reinstated the age statement?
Small batch, 9 yrs, 100 proof.
Best Bourbon for $30 or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 5:01 PM, 52-80 said:

How would yall rank all the stuff coming from the 🦬 trace distillery, completely blind/independent of price.   Excluding big pappy obv

I’m always happy to help newcomers. Excluding Pappy 15 and Pappy 23: 

I like Old Rip Van Winkle better than Lot B. And yes better than WLW (I’ll probably catch some heat for this opinion). 

Old Rip Van Winkle

WLW

George T. Stagg

Blanton’s Straight From The Barrel

Lot B

Handy

EHT Barrel Proof

Weller 12 

Weller BP

Antique Twist Tops

Hancock’s Reserve 

Kosher Wheat

EHT Rye

Antique Store Picks (cork top)

Blanton’s Store Picks

Eagle Rare Store Picks

Antique(cork top)

Kosher Rye Recipe

Buffalo Trace Store Picks 

Kosher Rye

Eagle Rare 

Buffalo Trace 

Baby Saz 

That’s my list. I feel the company could do a better job growing their rye line. Baby Saz while good, shouldn’t be their only readily available rye. 

If we’re counting blends, I’d have Poor Man’s Pappy right after Weller BP.

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m always happy to help newcomers. Excluding Pappy 15 and Pappy 23: 

I like Old Rip Van Winkle better than Lot B. And yes better than WLW (I’ll probably catch some heat for this opinion). 

Old Rip Van Winkle

WLW

George T. Stagg

Blanton’s Straight From The Barrel

Lot B

Handy

EHT Barrel Proof

Weller 12 

Weller BP

Antique Twist Tops

Hancock’s Reserve 

Kosher Wheat

EHT Rye

Antique Store Picks (cork top)

Blanton’s Store Picks

Eagle Rare Store Picks

Antique(cork top)

Kosher Rye Recipe

Buffalo Trace Store Picks 

Kosher Rye

Eagle Rare 

Buffalo Trace 

Baby Saz 

That’s my list. I feel the company could do a better job growing their rye line. Baby Saz while good, shouldn’t be their only readily available rye. 

If we’re counting blends, I’d have Poor Man’s Pappy right after Weller BP.

Stagg Jr?

I forgot Elmer too. Never make a list off the top of of your head. I'd rank it in front of the Blanton's Store Picks. 

I'd rank Weller Green Label third to last. It's testament to the strength of the brand that Weller Green is so low on my list. It would be many, many distilleries best product. 

Benchmark and Old Charter are solid mixers, but no serious Buffalo Trace fan boy would give them much thought. I would like to try all of the Benchmark new releases. I believe they're available in Indiana only right now. 

While I ranked Kosher Rye third of the three Kosher releases, I'm encouraged that Buffalo Trace added another rye to their line. And it's really good. 

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Haha. I knew this coming. I tried Pappy 15, Lot B, Old Rip, and WLW in a blind tasting and Old Rip won. I don’t know how. I don’t why. But it happened. 

Because Old Rip is good and most Bourbon peaks at around 8-10 years.  Totally defensible.  

12 hours ago, ERhine said:

ec32e8991d39ba01b75fd1979e788cb9.gif

Yep, and if I was reordering Bill's list i, I would have RHF and ETL in the top 3rd, but RHF would be higher than ETL or Blanton's.

On 8/2/2021 at 5:01 PM, 52-80 said:

How would yall rank all the stuff coming from the 🦬 trace distillery, completely blind/independent of price.   Excluding big pappy obv

There's too diversity to really do comparisons for me. But the following rules apply to BT as much as they do to the market in general, and probably  more:

On 1/25/2020 at 8:11 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

1) People don’t want to pay for bourbon. They want to pay for bourbon they can’t find.
2) The best bourbon is often hard to get, but the hardest bourbon to get us not usually the best.
3) All good blends are better than all but the best single barrels, and only the absolute best individual barrels are better than the best blends.
4) There’s plenty of good bourbon.
5) Until somebody drinks it, it isn’t any good.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1