Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Tell me about that L’Encantada behind it. HBS did one a couple years ago and it was sex in a bottle. Tried another one a few months back and it was wretched. Not sure if I got a bad bottle or the HBS pick was just that good

They’re all pretty wildly different.  I have a Le Freche and a couple of Lous Pibous open and they’re pretty amazing for the price.  That one in the pic is a ‘76 Le Sable 500ml euro edition that I haven’t cracked.  It’s worth exploring but you can’t go into it expecting bourbon. 

32 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

how much of that smoke wagon private barrel you got left?

I think I’m down to about a 1/3 on that bottle.  It’s for sure not worth the secondary hype when there’s plenty of 10+ year MGP around if you look.  At least this one is 12 yr instead of the Spec’s 8 yr bottlings that were absolutely average.  I traded one of those for a GTS and an OWA and have no regerts.  

56 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Little Book 4 is delicious. It falls short of 3, but that’s because 3 was next level good.

Life’s too short to not give things a shot. I’m in for 5 no matter what the reviews say. It’ll be something different and unique, and I place a lot of value on that.

It’s good, but falls well short of the others.  I’ll buy five and put an extra away because why the hell not. 

Just now, BigDHornfan said:

I really like that one. But there hasn’t been a MC they’ve released that I haven’t liked.
I’ve killed 3 of this year’s BP already

It’s outstanding. Aged Brown-Forman always delivers. Viscous, maple syrup, nice huge for 90.4 proof. I love bourbon that drinks over its proof. 

I’m not good on tasting notes, but I could taste good Brown-Forman product a mile away. It hits everything I’m looking for on my palate.  

• Like 1

I so badly wanted VFR to be great. I’m a big Woodford fan. I’ve gone back to it several times, and I’d say it delivers on the fine portion of the name, but that’s about it. The nose is pretty great, but it just falls apart on the palate and has next to no finish for me.

Great looking bottle though.

Well, I guess more Very Fine Bourbon for me. 

I’m with you. The first pour was bad, but all subsequent pours have been fantastic.

Relevant facts: little book 5 is in fact young trash

Basil Hayden toast is low proof marketing media and you can come at me if you disagree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, RichUT said:

I so badly wanted VFR to be great. I’m a big Woodford fan. I’ve gone back to it several times, and I’d say it delivers on the fine portion of the name, but that’s about it. The nose is pretty great, but it just falls apart on the palate and has next to no finish for me.

Great looking bottle though.

I like the Woodford VFR. Tried some last night next to Barterhouse 20 and it’s a little drier on the palate and less complex on the nose, but it’s in the ballpark. 

Bought a case of OT probably a year ago. It got pushed to the back and forgotten about. When word broke that OT was being discontinued I made it a priority to buy whenever I saw it. Well, I bought 4 over a few weeks and then came across a whole case. Spec’s buy the case price was like $18/bottle, so hell yeah. Get home and try to make room for this entire case of Old Times when I stumble upon the first case.

TLDR; I have enough Old Times to drown a giraffe

9 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Bought a case of OT probably a year ago. It got pushed to the back and forgotten about. When word broke that OT was being discontinued I made it a priority to buy whenever I saw it. Well, I bought 4 over a few weeks and then came across a whole case. Spec’s buy the case price was like $18/bottle, so hell yeah. Get home and try to make room for this entire case of Old Times when I stumble upon the first caseemoji2357.png.

TLDR; I have enough Old Times to drown a giraffe

Now we’re just casually throwing out made up acronyms for non-existent whiskey and nobody even says anything?  

I love Gentle Ambler rye so I poured a glen of the 4 yr Old Scoot tonight. Man, nothing goes with a glass of GAOS like football on a warm Texas night.  

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, USCATX said:

Now we’re just casually throwing out made up acronyms for non-existent whiskey and nobody even says anything?  

I love Gentle Ambler rye so I poured a glen of the 4 yr Old Scoot tonight. Man, nothing goes with a glass of GAOS like football on a warm Texas night.  

Is it wrong I want to join some bourbon groups on Facebook and see if I can get someone to review “Old Army 12?” Patton loved it, I hear.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Is it wrong I want to join some bourbon groups on Facebook and see if I can get someone to review “Old Army 12?” Patton loved it, I hear.

Making fake labels with DSP-KY-16 on them and then reviewing would be amazing. Please do this.  You could be the James Frey of bourbon Facebook.  

Early Time. ET. Idk wtf is going on with my brain these days2808a717625d942c01d15e021a6393b7.jpg

Was visiting our offspring in the Washington DC area and wandered into a random liquor store next to where we had lunch.

Eagle Rare (prob 12 bottles on the shelf) -- $59.99

Blanton's (2 bottles) $159.99

EHT (4 or 5 bottles)  $119

Weller 107 (1 bottle)  $199

Made no purchases at these prices.

5 hours ago, smwhorn said:

Was visiting our offspring in the Washington DC area and wandered into a random liquor store next to where we had lunch.

If there are bottles on the shelf, there's usually a reason.

On 9/7/2021 at 3:18 PM, smwhorn said:

DC is always expensive. In no small part given its clientele. But also because they are legally allowed to resell third party bottles purchased at secondary. Gotta make profits. 

On 9/7/2021 at 2:46 PM, Fud said:

A coworker visited the bourbon trail this weekend and got me an Old Fitz and Henry McKenna 10. I've never owned a bottle of either. Also got an EC hand grenade, which I've landed several of in the past 

So the Old Fitz he got was sour mash. Womp womp.