Bourbon

Jimbaround

20 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

random question, but it will help me with something i'm working on.

i can't remember if it was on here or one of my bourbon text groups or something, but there is some dude, i think in dallas, who's kinda infamous, and has been described i believe as a "super-douche" who either has a lot of money or spends a lot of money or whatever, but he gets all the great bottles, and isn't shy about it.  i believe someone saw bottles on hold for him with post-its with his name maybe, and it was visible to other irritated bourbon guys?

does this ring a bell?  does this person have an instagram page, or is he a facebook groups guy?  and as an aside, are there any other people like this in texas?  that have online/social media personas similar to this, where people hate him who don't even know him?

i can explain more later, but i'm trying to locate a page like this (i'm not getting in touch with the person or anything weird).  i just need it as an example for something.

thanks in advance.

This is the guy. I believe @BigDHornfan is “aware” of him. Tilted Bottle didn’t tag him in this photo. 

image.thumb.png.240a1d41614d57f9fa6303d4f4cfb3ee.png

I’m sure he told Spec’s some BS that he was going to raffle it for charity. It’s probably sitting on his mantle right now. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This is the guy. I believe @BigDHornfan is “aware” of him. Tilted Bottle didn’t tag him in this photo. 

image.thumb.png.240a1d41614d57f9fa6303d4f4cfb3ee.png

I’m sure he told Spec’s some BS that he was going to raffle it for charity. It’s probably sitting on his mantle right now. 

FUCK him.   That is Josh Materne.   aka Josh Wellers.

• Like 2

sidenote, when i was in vegas 2 weeks ago, i went to wally's to get a bottle of weller fp they were holding for me, and they had an ofc.  i had never seen it in person, and i'm sure even the "wally's retail" is out of control, but is that something that should be purchased and flipped?  and at what price? 

8 hours ago, Godzillatron said:

9c0c2b975bbf314b76197be17bb1f9a2.jpg
Just grabbed this from TW. Anybody had it? Love the regular Willett, figure it's either a home run or tater bait.

It’s good, but not overwhelmingly better than Willett 4 yr small batch.  The Madeira muddied the flavor a bit and dialed back the intense herbal action, but not sure it’s worth 2-2.5x the 4 yr.  

My local liquor store had some people from Oak & Eden in a few days ago and we're having a tasting of their stuff along with a few bottles for sale.   Booze tasted decent and the prices were right so I picked up a bottle of the Bourbon and Spire for $35.   I didn't know anything about the distillery and definitely didn't pay attention to the spiral cut piece of Oak in the bottle.   Drinking it now again and I'm thinking this is going to get mixed with some Diet Coke until I kill off the bottle.

From an interview one of the owners gave.   :

Now, our whiskey is somewhat different, even unique.  Our whiskey is “in-bottle finished”.  That is a technique we pioneered and patented whereby we add a 5 inch long spiral cut piece of American Oak (the same species of wood from which whiskey barrels are made).  We call this our “Spire”.  This spire is added to each bottle to finish it, adding flavor, complexity and nuance.

We specialize in finished whiskey, with a twist. We distill and barrel age our whiskey traditionally, in American oak barrels for two years. We finish our whiskey untraditionally, by placing a five inch long, spiral cut piece of wood in every bottle. Instead of putting our whiskey into a secondary barrel to finish it, we pioneered (and patented) a way to put the second barrel into the bottle.

Any shoutouts? Who else deserves credit in this story – who has played a meaningful role?
God provided the Vision and the provision.  Next, we have a group of passionate employees, investors and advisors, all of whom are dedicated to the success of our little whiskey business.

23 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

Don’t know Josh personally but I know his nonprofit barrel outfit and his circle of friends in BaRS (like Bill Fullerton). Never struck me as a superdouche. But his threadshitting knowitall antics are tiring. 

You in Bars?  biggest group of arrogant people except for Brad.  He's alright, but don't trust him 100%.

24 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
On 10/1/2021 at 9:12 PM, billfromlaketravis said:
Pretty tasty: 
A88C96D6-0366-4FBD-ACA9-05769007398A.thumb.jpeg.644b19eaac4448f82e8bf7ba8edb55c5.jpeg

Got some of this in Alaska when we were fishing a month ago. Shit is just on shelves up there.

They’re too busy drinking crown up there.  I’ve cleared out plenty of shelf stagg jr, EH Taylor, PHC and others.  California is still the best for Blanton’s tho.  

12052E1C-0762-4623-AC72-845E57F58BDF.jpeg

They’re too busy drinking crown up there.  I’ve cleared out plenty of shelf stagg jr, EH Taylor, PHC and others.  California is still the best for Blanton’s tho.  
12052E1C-0762-4623-AC72-845E57F58BDF.thumb.jpeg.6555827fe0946e3a21bb0f9b8359148c.jpeg

The amount of Blanton’s I purchase at the frickin Albertsons in San Juan Capistrano in 2012 is absurd. Fast forward to today when High West feels the need to post that they sold out in one day (Friday) or the MWND that they thought would last them through Tuesday. Kill me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Drool 1

The amount of Blanton’s I purchase at the frickin Albertsons in San Juan Capistrano in 2012 is absurd. Fast forward to today when High West feels the need to post that they sold out in one day (Friday) or the MWND that they thought would last them through Tuesday. Kill me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. This is what it has come to023267a458735b841aa1a57cb2e8ff43.jpg

Feeling good about these
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Not great. That's going to tighten the market for all the other BTACs and Pappy. 

The absolute best I can do this year is probably Handy and ORVW. WLW would be a miracle. 

On 9/23/2021 at 2:22 PM, BigDHornfan said:

Jesus. This happened today:

Copied from a FB group

From someone who went to the Stagg Jr B16 drop at Spec's Smith St today.

"I've never been to specs before they opened before but took a chance today. When I got there at 1030 there were prob 5-6 people lined up in some order. Then a little time passed and a couple people jumped the line. Still some sort of order though despite a couple of *******s. Then when they opened the doors everyone from the back started rushing the line and by the time we got to the bourbon aisle *literally within 30 seconds* a cop was yelling…if you don't calm down I'm going to take the bottles away. A couple guys pushed their way to the front like they were expecting boyonce to be performing on stage. The cop got pissed and pulled the cart which had about 4 cases and said that's enough…started walking to the back of the store with everyone in tow. He told everyone to form an orderly line which they did. I was lucky enough to grab an SJR but most weren't. I will say that the two *******s who jumped the line were one of the two. Like I said it was my first time and nobody else said anything so I kept my mouth shut thinking this is normal but if I did it again I would have said something. Idiots ruining it for everyone."

That story is totally fake which makes sense once you know how much fraud goes on in these online bourbon hunting groups. I have such a love hate relationship with tiltedbottle who I believe enables most of this behavior. 

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

That story is totally fake which makes sense once you know how much fraud goes on in these online bourbon hunting groups. I have such a love hate relationship with tiltedbottle who I believe enables most of this behavior. 

That story is completely accurate with the exception of the Spec’s “cop”. He’s actually a security guard. 

Tilted Bottle to his credit, has pledged to not post Buffalo Trace drops any longer. He can be a little whiny, but I think he means well. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

Spent a couple days in college station (pro tip: it still sucks) and got to try EH Taylor Warehouse C and Kosher Straight Rye.  The Taylor tasted exactly like Single Barrel and I just don’t get it. For WLW pricing my expectations are well above that.  

On the bright side we killed a half bottle of CYPB and I walked away with another full bottle.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, USCATX said:

Spent a couple days in college station (pro tip: it still sucks) and got to try EH Taylor Warehouse C and Kosher Straight Rye.  The Taylor tasted exactly like Single Barrel and I just don’t get it. For WLW pricing my expectations are well above that.  

On the bright side we killed a half bottle of CYPB and I walked away with another full bottle.  

I’ve heard the same on Warehouse C. Sounds like you did the best you could possibly do in College Station. 

11 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

What’s the general opinion on the Kentucky Owl Wisdom bourbon batch 11 that appears to have been released recently?

Only review I’ve seen was the Podcask and they’re Dixon homers so probably not to be trusted.  I do know that Batch 10 is really good and still available if you want to drop $280.  

8dbef5498a3926f0f19e2daf0ccbe0a0.jpg
e8578f8e00e2a7e90e70ccbb0f93f8bd.jpg
3988f91f21798f724b0162432970d0bb.jpg

Finally made it to Kentucky. I built Bardstown up to the point that I was sure it would be the highlight of the trip, and it definitely didn’t disappoint. Their whiskey library is incredible. The last pic is our flight from the experience, and all three dusty bottles were awesome to sample.

6d2b61235b37888ce4c9913650840baa.jpg

I also had a pour of this 6 year HH that was bottled the year I was born (77).

These guys are crushing that experience. 10 out of 10.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

I can't stress this enough, don't trust the podcast reviews. Especially from Kentucky locals. Many of them are friendly with the master distillers and their marketing teams. Bourbon is a small world. If they refer to the master distiller by first name, I'd steer clear. 

I like Breaking Bourbon reviews. They usually won't outright pan a product, but they'll use enough context clues to let you know not to buy it. 

Kentucky Owl Confiscated for $90.  Good buy or nah?

I don’t like the whiskey at any price, but that’s good value relative to SRP.

I know guys that know their whiskey that really like it, so it really comes down to the individual and what works for their palate.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1