Bourbon

Jimbaround

24 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Freaking Terrific. Why?

Daughter works for a wholesale wine distributor.

One of her customers has one set back for me.

Curious about a fair price.

My normal connection through her has always been at MSRP for everything,  but this is a new connection.

23 minutes ago, smokeeater said:

Daughter works for a wholesale wine distributor.

One of her customers has one set back for me.

Curious about a fair price.

My normal connection through her has always been at MSRP for everything,  but this is a new connection.

That's my favorite drink this summer. Don't own one, but if they have at the bar. I will get me a couple of glasses. I would by it for $200. That is probably at least double of the MSRP.  

Hope this helps. Also, thanks for Tulsa recommendations. Liked the Valkyrie and BDTA so much. I made another trip with the wife. They had THH at the bar.

Edited by ckhorn

Any liquor store recommendations near the loop in Chicago?

Warehouse liquors. My go-to here. I just got a OWA and Blanton’s store pick there. Gene can freaking pick the hell out of some barrels!!! They have 1792, HW, 4R, and Eagle rare store picks on the shelf this week

Eagle Rare 10 year isn't close to my favorite drink in my bar at home. Haven't had it opened in about four months. Took the 1st sip. Kind of meh. Second sip okay. It keeps getting better all the time. I think theirs a song there.

Edited by ckhorn

40 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Eagle Rare 10 year isn't close to my favorite drink in my bar at home. Haven't had it opened in about four months. Took the 1st sip. Kind of meh. Second sip okay. It keeps getting better all the time. I think theirs a song there.

Such an easy drinker. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

That basically sums it up. 

Has anybody had the Eagle Rare 17? I've read disappointing reviews. 

Not any that has came out recently, but what I have been able to find in the past is one of the best bourbons out there and very difficult to find (purchase).

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Thanks fellas. 

What do y'all recommend for an entry level WhistlePig? I'm thinking this is a pretty good start: https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/american-whiskey/rye-whiskey/whistlepig-10-yr-private-barrel-select/p/177225750?s=516&igrules=true

that's the one I have, and it's great, but I don't recall paying $74 for it.  I got mine at twins in hutto.

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Fascinating article on Buffalo Trace and their current/future plans, scroll down to the part about "Warehouse P": 

https://insiderlouisville.com/lifestyle_culture/bar-belle-jetsetting-to-buffalo-trace-by-way-of-united-airlines/

Very, very cool stuff.

20 year old Eagle Rare coming. Something I will probably never taste unless I sell a kidney 

Edited by Neonmoon

Have we done a poll ranking your favorite bourbons under $30?  750 ml. say ten or less. rank them please.  bourbons only - no ryes, sour mashes, moonshines, extra staves, port or sherry finish bullshit.  here's mine:

buffalo trace

weller 12 (yeah, I know you cant get it for this, but technically it's an under $30 bottle)

knob creek

makers mark

Elijah craig

er10

four roses (small batch)

bulleit

woodford

larceny

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

Have we done a poll ranking your favorite bourbons under $30?  750 ml. say ten or less. rank them please.  bourbons only - no ryes, sour mashes, moonshines, extra staves, port or sherry finish bullshit.  here's mine:

buffalo trace

weller 12 (yeah, I know you cant get it for this, but technically it's an under $30 bottle)

knob creek

makers mark

Elijah craig

er10

four roses (small batch)

bulleit

woodford

larceny

Not a great list without Weller Antique, I hope it was an oversight. A prerequiste, I'm very Sazerac/Buffalo Trace biased. I just love the company, and they almost never go wrong. They understand their market. 

1) Weller Antique 

2) Weller 12 

3) Eagle Rare 10

4) Buffalo Trace

5) Elijah Craig

6) Woodford (call it an affinity based on desperation. Woodford is the best bottle in far, far too many restaurants, but it's still pretty decent.)

7) Larceny

8.) Four Roses (the Single Barrel is really good, and would be no. 4 on this list if included.) 

9) Knob Creek

10) Bulleit

11) Maker's Mark (honestly I think the hype is based completely on the packaging. )

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

I am prefacing this with what I have been able to get under $30.  May not be able to get it all the time, but with determination and relationships I've built with store managers, I usually have these on hand under the $30 benchmark.  In order of preference:

1. Henry McKenna Single Barrel BiB

2. Weller 12

3. Old Weller Antique

4. Eagle Rare

5. Buffalo Trace

6. Larceny

Under $30 bourbons and ryes.  (Note:  I never see Weller 12 or OWA under $30 anymore out here, so they don't qualify for me.)  I like all of them and it's difficult for me to come up with a ranking.  But here goes anyway . . .

Evan Williams SB

Henry McKenna SB BiB

Elijah Craig small batch

Eagle Rare 10

OGD 114

Knob Creek

Buffalo Trace

8 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Umiwe Transparent Creative Star Wars 700ml Decanter Storm Trooper Awakens Helmet Glass Cup Heat-resistance Cup for Whisky, Beer, Brandy, Liqueur, Juice, and Red Wine https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076QCLS5V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_TDIzBb4718884

Thanks, but I'll probably just drink another bottle of Harper 15. 

37 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

First bottle of Stagg Jr I bought, couldn’t handle it. Gave it to@thestud.
Gave it a 2 nd chance about a couple of weeks ago, put it in a decanter.
So much better. Doesn’t hurt my taste has changed to higher proofs over the last year though. :)
I may Barrel one to see what happens.

I'm drinking a "breathed in" Stagg Jr right now. 3 weeks in. Wow. So much smoother. I think the new release is good, but the oxidation definitely helped. I think I'm in the sweet spot right now, I might have to finish the bottle soon.

I'm running a surplus on bottles to save for football season. Gonna have to do some damage during Fall Camp. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis