Bourbon

Jimbaround

Been communicating with 291 distillery for awhile to see about my FB group doing a barrel pick, and the VP of marketing said she would send me samples of their SiB bourbon and rye to try. Wasn’t expecting 2 full bottles of each.
Yesterday was a good day.

The rye is frigging fantastic.
And these retail for $130 a bottle.

9e6a26bf7b6ec83aa3ea0597453700df.jpg

I'm a big fan of 291. Love the Aspen aged stuff. It's not traditional, but I dig it.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Has anybody tried Fable and Folly?

Yes, it’s good if not quite up to Woodford VFORB which was my favorite low proofer in recent memory.  It seems to lack a little definition other than some significant aged oak flavors, but it’s definitely an easy drinker.  I’ve passed on retail backups if that tells you anything.  

BC5822FA-DF01-46BE-BCC4-96C69F328E7B.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

RIP my 2017 Michter’s Toasted Rye.  It was a banger and probably my favorite toasted product ever.  
BAAF4D78-6B95-481A-B326-DABE499C8A0D.thumb.jpeg.c95d24fa168df9095d1ab6303ee6980e.jpeg

This is one of my favorite bottles ever and was so close to pulling the trigger so many times when it was upper-200s into low to mid-300s, and now the damn thing has been moving for north of 5. I hate it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, H_Boogie said:

This is one of my favorite bottles ever and was so close to pulling the trigger so many times when it was upper-200s into low to mid-300s, and now the damn thing has been moving for north of 5. I hate it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like I’ve seen it at $400 or so, but probably not for a ‘17.  I think I snagged this when secondary was like $215 and I have had plenty of bottles I liked less for $400.  

3 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

MBSR is my favorite Michters, and can be found for $250 or less on secondary.
To me the toasted isn’t worth the extra money.

I’ve tasted all the special ryes side by side and would say toasted is head and shoulder better, but $175 better is a question I ask myself a lot.  

• Like 1

Got a bunch of goodies from friends and family for my 50th. Stagg Jr, OWA, Weller Green, Old Elk, New Riff, EHT SB, Willett, Glenfiddich, Clase Azul, etc. I’m a lucky guy.

But the bartender at the party made an egregious error when she was packing up:

16be6c36338a296643bfe3ce1682261c.jpg

• Like 1

Went to visit the in-laws this past week and they just moved into their new house.  They had some stuff in storage for quite sometime I guess.  Found this bottle pushed to the back of their bar.   It was very good but I would never pay secondary for this one.  DAA124BF-7370-4A29-BB4E-BE8CAC6F7250.thumb.jpeg.8cb79ed6a1b9346b1ff9f1d1fa758d7b.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 10:27 PM, Party_Taco said:

Called one of my old honey holes in San Diego today for a friend’s gift… guy was rattling off bottles, mostly secondary prices but nothing TOO offensive and then drops “Weller 12… $595” emoji58.png

Damn, so much disappointment could be had for only six bills. 

Wow.
How?

Got a text that my group’s 4th of July bottle was ready for pickup out of the blue. We try to steer all of our booze purchases to the same spot and the proprietor takes care of us on allocated stuff here and there, and always at retail.

No idea how he managed to pull this particular rabbit out of his hat, and I wasn’t inclined to ask.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

This was in the “special” rack today one per person for just under $40. Is it something known or just a random bottle they made feel special? It has a nice little Kentucky State Fair award sticker on it which could be completely made up. I’m sure it’s good though and good price.

F5497B8E-696F-44A8-8865-ACEB13567E3C.jpeg

I’ve had all of them except for 1.

2 is the best imo. 3 and 4 are right behind it, with plenty of people arguing one way or the other. 5 was the biggest letdown. 6 was a return to form and 7 is plenty good, but a notch below 6.

I rank them:

8 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

Rank the discos. 3 is my favorite. Got half a bottle left. Several of the others left. Was it 5 or 6 that tooted everyone’s fancy?

I’ll be in the minority opinion here, but I started passing on Discovery after they started blending in Dickel (Tennessee on the label). 

If they go back to Kentucky only blends or Kentucky/Indiana blends , I’ll revisit. 

It’s been slow out there lately. I’ve been buying Knob Creek SiB and cheap Maker’s Mark Private Select picks to keep the bar stocked. 

• Hook 'Em 1