Bourbon

Jimbaround

5 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Speaking of Heaven Hill, I drank an awful lot of regular Elijah Craig yesterday and I don’t regret it one damn bit. 

does anyone else slip into inadvertent theme nights?  the other day i had mckenna 10 followed by ecbp.  a few days earlier i had eagle rare, then bt kosher wheat, then stagg jr.  probably easier on the palate.

• Like 1

People bitch about price and it killing off HH6, but HH6 was never available in Texas. I can’t miss what I’ve never had. It’s a good bourbon, and I’ll gladly pay 50 bucks for it. 

How about this - I’ll keep the last of the HH6 that I have and we can share it when I get to Texas, promptly forget about it and move on the better juice…

does anyone else slip into inadvertent theme nights?  the other day i had mckenna 10 followed by ecbp.  a few days earlier i had eagle rare, then bt kosher wheat, then stagg jr.  probably easier on the palate.

At this point it’s part of what keeps things interesting.

Several nights a week I’ll drive down that road…

No theme that I’m aware of. But here’s what my night has looked like this far:
44a2ceddd8f7e397692b613ace553a18.jpg
1dedadef5af0fe172091ab5658fc46d2.jpg
b886c931b1202f22983d0fd912540852.jpg
89a2a81e5c6e93957915ba585ff5fab5.jpg

Edit: Can you do a six degrees of separation on this?

Last trip to the distillery they were VERY adamant that they’d been using their own juice for years, and that any BT that made it into their mashbill in the past was purely due to forced allocation. Which is to say that, when they sourced, they were all over the Sazerac line, depending on availability coming from HQ.

It was clear to me they had a good sized operation in Fredericksburg, but I’m still somewhat dubious of their 100% in-house claim.

8 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Last trip to the distillery they were VERY adamant that they’d been using their own juice for years, and that any BT that made it into their mashbill in the past was purely due to forced allocation. Which is to say that, when they sourced, they were all over the Sazerac line, depending on availability coming from HQ.

It was clear to me they had a good sized operation in Fredericksburg, but I’m still somewhat dubious of their 100% in-house claim.

There’s a Bourbon Pursuit podcast out there with Bowman’s master distiller. Too lazy to look for it. Basically, they use BT’s recipes/mashbills/proprietary yeast strands, but they distill it in Virginia. 

There’s a Bourbon Pursuit podcast out there with Bowman’s master distiller. Too lazy to look for it. Basically, they use BT’s recipes/mashbills/proprietary yeast strands, but they distill it in Virginia. 

Interesting - They certainly avoid that kind of talk at the distillery

Funny enough, I was cruising my top shelf tonight and also ended up with ER. Always a choice you can feel good about.

Anyway, I went a bit rouge today after stumbling into a small shop in the middle of nowhere that had a TON of solid bottles at MSRP. If I was hoarding I would have walked with a few cases, but alas I spotted this at $129 (easily the lowest I’ve seen her) and ignored everything else.

I couldn’t recall what the prevailing opinion was in the room, but I’m eager to try it regardless.

72a9a4ddd465650996144126a3c841b6.jpg

Fuck specs and fuck total wine

I don’t think I’ve seen an update. Is the new-ish honey hole that opened up near your house still churning out the goods like they did when you discovered it, or did you buy them out of their first 3 years worth of allocations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, H_Boogie said:

I don’t think I’ve seen an update. Is the new-ish honey hole that opened up near your house still churning out the goods like they did when you discovered it, or did you buy them out of their first 3 years worth of allocations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that was a one time shot evidently.  They've had other shit since then, but it's all been priced secondary.

I had pretty much given up on getting any hard to find stuff at Specs but out of the blue they called yesterday with a good one.  I don’t participate in their points because I don’t buy enough there to matter but quite a while back I was speaking with the manager and told her I was looking for Weller 12 and she said she’d add me to that list.  Pretty shocked that one came through.  Hard to beat for $36  A37EB551-1425-4B87-9C3E-2DCC5F71F76C.thumb.jpeg.456bef50aa0024622103dcffb2db095d.jpeg

Edited by stork642
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Was that a drop in haul or I’m on the cool list haul?

Drop in 2 specs, all specs got their deliveries on Tuesday and Thursday, just got lucky with the GM’s having extras after giving out their pre allocated bottles.

• Like 1