Bourbon

Jimbaround

41 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Should have known something was up when I didn't see any at my local place the last time I was there.  That place ALWAYS had EW SiB in the past.

I heard rumors about it going allocated at some of the bigger store in Houston probably at the beginning of 2022. I thought it sounded insane at the time, and dismissed it. Didn’t think about it again until recently, and boom it’s Kentucky only. It’s not some great loss. Not even sure a case is worth the   trunk space in a rental car on a Kentucky run. But it was good and something I reached for in bourbon droughts. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I heard rumors about it going allocated at some of the bigger store in Houston probably at the beginning of 2022. I thought it sounded insane at the time, and dismissed it. Didn’t think about it again until recently, and boom it’s Kentucky only. It’s not some great loss. Not even sure a case is worth the   trunk space in a rental car on a Kentucky run. But it was good and something I reached for in bourbon droughts. 

Yeah, it's not a huge loss, but it's like a longtime friend moved far away.  I latched onto EW SiB a long time ago as a good alternative to more expensive bourbons.  I always thought it punched above its weight in terms of smoothness and flavor, although I came to regard it as a little underproof and . . . almost too smooth.  Over the past couple years, I haven't been drinking as much of it simply because I was trying new and different bottles, but now that I find I can't get it anymore, it gives me the sads a little bit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

Is this like the “rare breed rye is going allocated” rumor from a year or so ago? I know a place in dfw that had plenty last time I was there. 

Also, kc sbs is like two guys playing horse. 

It appears legitimate. A guy on Houston Bourbon Hounds asked about it at the distillery. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I looked to in a place today that often has at least one bottle of EW SiB on the shelf but none.  They didn’t know anything about anymore coming in the future.  On a side note I asked if they had anything allocated and said “we just got in some Weller 12”.  That’s my second one this week.  I’ll probably give it to my brother.   

14 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I asked at Twin Liquors today if they got anything allocated, and the dude told me "We have some Weller that's hidden behind the counter. Limit 1 per customer".

Sweet, score! Then he hands me a bottle of Weller Special Reserve. 😞 

Better tasters can probably tell the difference, but in blind tastings I can’t tell the difference between Weller 12 and the SR.  I don’t even bother looking for the 12 anymore.  YMMV.

3 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Celebrating the boy turning 10 today.
473c602c875939455f8cd9daca1fd654.jpg

Grabbed two a couple weeks ago. First tastes. Delicious!

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

Shit retail on these are now 80 I think, if you can find em

Paid $70 at specs. But f specs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Stopped in my local liquor store today and was shocked to see the shelves full of OF 1910, 1920, ECBP and McKenna 10.  Bought one each of the first 3, didn't really feel like the McKenna was worth the $70 they wanted for it, and I didn't want to be the douche that clears out the shelves.  ECBP is the A122.

20 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

McKenna hasn’t been worth it since it went higher than $35.
OF 1910 and 1920 sit all day everyday here in DFW. ECBP is starting to sit longer but still is out most of of the time

I haven't seen 1910 or 1920 on the shelves for at least 6 months.  Having some 1910 right now and I still love it.

On 7/23/2022 at 5:32 PM, NOMAAA said:

Can you give an example? 

Sorry this is so late. I've always heard about these lists from the local bourbon groups but I got to hear about it from a Specs employee. I was in the bourbon aisle at the Specs in Terrell when this guy comes up to me and starts talking about McKenna. Just randomly says "hey I'm not getting the mckenna". Okay bud I'm also not buying Patron so who the fuck are you and why are you talking to me? I get what I'm looking for, walk to the register, and that same guy is talking to an employee. She's talking about adding this guy to her list so when allocated drops happen they'll be the first to know. Evidently this guy confused me for being on this list.

At this point I'm just ready to drop my enjoyment of bourbon. I'm not going to pay $500 over MSRP at secondary, wait in a line at Specs that starts at 7am, or make buddy buddy with a liquor store worker just to get something that used to collect dust on the shelf a few years ago.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

That’s where I’ve been for the last 6-8 months. I sold north of $15k worth on the secondary market and I haven’t gone looking for anything in as long if not longer. I’ll wander down the bourbon aisle occasionally, but I’ve bought almost exclusively club picks and tequila since the start of the year. Maybe in a couple years it will come back down, but I don’t give it a second thought anymore.

• Like 1

That’s where I’ve been for the last 6-8 months. I sold north of $15k worth on the secondary market and I haven’t gone looking for anything in as long if not longer. I’ll wander down the bourbon aisle occasionally, but I’ve bought almost exclusively club picks and tequila since the start of the year. Maybe in a couple years it will come back down, but I don’t give it a second thought anymore.

This is where i am as well, but for closer to a year or year and a half. Didn't sell any stash though so I'm just drinking through that and enjoying not trying to run around and deal with the crap.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I love W12. I love OWA. I had a metric shit ton of it in all 3 sizes. When the w12 1.75 hit $600 on secondary and the OWA 1.75 hit $350 I said I love them both, but not for that price. Same with the BTAC’s. But if if there’s some idiot out there willing to pay 12-15x more than I paid for a bottle, then I’m just the idiot to sell it to them.

• Like 2