Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 9/14/2022 at 4:42 PM, Hornlover said:

If disliking taters that just buy the shit I'm trying to drink so that they can mark it up and sell it on the secondary market is considered having a stick up my ass, then consider me sitting on a California Redwood.

Look, he might be a shitbag but he is NOT this kind of shitbag.  You wont find him waiting in line at Specs for hours just to buy whatever he can and sell it to buy parts for his Camaro.  Or maybe you would.  I don't know the mf.  But I can read between the lines.  You should try that out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, RichUT said:

I’ll say that openly bitching about the decline in secondary value does sort of invite criticism. That said, take the idle threat shit to PM’s. This is a thread about bourbon, not measuring dicks.

The point he was making is that Weller 12 used to be SOOO overvalued that he could buy it and trade it for much better hooch.

If you want to get pissed about anything it is that he is able to buy multiple bottles of what the rest of us never see.  But that takes time and dedication and money.  

I only have 1 of those things.

Just now, huge said:

The point he was making is that Weller 12 used to be SOOO overvalued that he could buy it and trade it for much better hooch.

If you want to get pissed about anything it is that he is able to buy multiple bottles of what the rest of us never see.  But that takes time and dedication and money.  

Time?

Oh I got the point.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, huge said:

Look, he might be a shitbag but he is NOT this kind of shitbag.  You wont find him waiting in line at Specs for hours just to buy whatever he can and sell it to buy parts for his Camaro.  Or maybe you would.  I don't know the mf.  But I can read between the lines.  You should try that out.

I didn't accuse him of being that kind of shitbag. I said that buying shit you don't want to drink fucks it up for the rest of us, especially when you are now complaining that W12 prices are falling. That would have been the end of it. 

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

I’ll say that openly bitching about the decline in secondary value does sort of invite criticism. That said, take the idle threat shit to PM’s. This is a thread about bourbon, not measuring dicks.

Until the idle threats started from that smooth-brained idiot Herbie Hancock. He decided that he either needed to white-knight for BigDHornfan, or took it personally that I called out the taters that ARE that kind of shitbag, because it hit too close to home for him. 

If he had kept out of it, and BigD had just said "I occasionally grab a bottle so I can trade it for something I like" , then I would have probably said something to the effect of  "It'd be a lot cooler if you didn't, but I understand". 

10 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Has anyone been to the Houston Watch Co.?  Some of my old posse' is talking about a meetup and this is on the table as a possibility.

Houston Watch Co. (houstonwatchcompany.com)

RIP Public Services. I loved that place once. 

I haven't been to Watch Co., but it's not Reserve 101, so you're off to a good start. 

On 9/15/2022 at 6:07 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Yeah, I assumed he was referring to this:

Russell's Reserve - Private Barrel Selection Single Barrel Bourbon Custom  Crafted for Mid Valley Wine & Liquor - Mid Valley Wine & Liquor

Store picks are pretty hard to come by. Total's pick came and went in like a day. I do have a reliable spot for RRSB. Always excellent. JDBPSB store picks have been tough to find as well. 

I've been rotating RRSB, Maker's Mark Private Select, and JDBPSB lately. I haven't really felt like cracking the allocated stuff. 

I went to the Terry Bradshaw tasting at The Palm on Thursday. Nice guy. I tried the Bradshaw wheated, rye, and bourbon. The bourbon was pretty good. I wish they priced it better, but it's good for a celebrity bourbon. It makes a damned good whiskey sour. I believe they're using Green River as their contract distiller. 

37 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Buffalo Trace in the gift shop. I was hoping for something a little more elusive.

No allocation bottles?  They had small batch EH Taylor the day we were there in June and Blanton's the day before.  Picked up a few bottles of Buffalo Trace also.  If your still in the area tomorrow, you might try again.  1 allocated bottle per person every 90 days.  I assume the Buffalo Trace didn't count against that.

On 9/10/2022 at 3:52 PM, Txslnghrns said:

de06b271639a3ad9a39fbb44d05658f5.jpg
Going cheap. Real cheap.

On a lark, I picked up a bottle of the 100 proof VOB not long ago.  For $15, it definitely punches above its weight.  I haven't been using it for anything other than mixing, but I've had other bourbons that were far worse [*cougholdcrowcough*], that's for sure.

16 hours ago, huge said:

Going to try this out. 1/1 ratio?

I hope it’s decent because that’s stretch for either bottle by itself.

dfc99ae66478855543cfc282f58db3d0.jpg

Correct. I’ve done the 1:1 ratio. 

My man using the I.W. Harper 15 bottle as a decanter. 

It makes 1.4 liters of course. About $65. It would be great value at about $40. I guess Jack had to price their “craft” whiskey higher than regular ole black label.