Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

that is between 4500-5000 secondary

I have see some say as much as 9000-12000.  No idea if that is legit and would have to be a special buyer.  No idea how to find a buyer at either price point.

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

Just don't go mixing it with that can of ginger ale . . .

Ha!  This bottle won't be opened by me.

4 hours ago, 1978horn said:

I have see some say as much as 9000-12000.  No idea if that is legit and would have to be a special buyer.  No idea how to find a buyer at either price point.

Ha!  This bottle won't be opened by me.

Secondary Facebook groups are usually under website/storefront secondary in the US. I’d agree that it’s in the $4000s range.   For the most part the website/storefront guys are buying large collections to get what amounts to a wholesale secondary price (or buying from other retailers) and then marking up to stupid retail. 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 7:07 PM, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Tw usually does 100 points per $ I think.

Wlw is around 1600 secondary, if that’s worth it to you lmk and I can try to help you further

Oh ok. Thanks for the offer but I was thinking it would be in the $400 range or so. Shit has gotten weird in this arena

4 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

They used alternating cherry wood staves and oak staves to rebuild barrels and used infrared heat instead of flame to toast the barrel.

That has to play into the price, right?  Pretty labor intensive compared to not doing any of that shit.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, USCATX said:

I recommend this, prayers sent that y’all find one.  

And count me in as being totally ambivalent about Booker’s.  If I’m going for a readily findable high proofer it will be Elijah Craig Barrel Proof as a single barrel or batch.  

C4181413-266B-482C-AEF7-51CD099C8009.jpeg

What would you compare the Parker’s to? 

That’s sweet that you’re sending us positive thoughts. You know it won’t help one bit though.

And however you and Bill feel about Booker’s is exactly the way I feel about any EC product. I’ve had several and I’ve never found one I wanted another pour of.

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

That’s sweet that you’re sending us positive thoughts. You know it won’t help one bit though.

And however you and Bill feel about Booker’s is exactly the way I feel about any EC product. I’ve had several and I’ve never found one I wanted another pour of.

Very hot take indeed. I thought ECBP was universally beloved. 

2 hours ago, RichUT said:

Have you had the Evan Williams 12, gift shop or Japanese export version?  Sounds like something you might like in that profile range.  Pretty findable online or on a distillery tour and damn good. 

I have no experience with bourbons and have been mostly a Scotch and Japanese whisky drinker.

My palate prefers a drink that isn’t heavy on pepper, but includes a moderate amount of smoke. My go-tos are Lagavulin, Yoichi, Talisker (which is pretty smoky), or Green Label when I’m drinking on a budget.

I want to add some bourbons to my whisky / whiskey shelf and looking for a starting point. Budgeting being $60-$80 per bottle.

Nothing too sweet please. I have a few bottles of Irish that I’m still trying to choke down. 

I don’t know that you’re going to find a pure play bourbon that you like just based on what you shared about your preferred profile.

If you could find a High West campfire…..maybe?

Honestly, just avoid bourbon. It’s become something of a pain in the ass over the last several years. The awesome thing about loving Scotch is that it’s highly available.

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

I have no experience with bourbons and have been mostly a Scotch and Japanese whisky drinker.

My palate prefers a drink that isn’t heavy on pepper, but includes a moderate amount of smoke. My go-tos are Lagavulin, Yoichi, Talisker (which is pretty smoky), or Green Label when I’m drinking on a budget.

I want to add some bourbons to my whisky / whiskey shelf and looking for a starting point. Budgeting being $60-$80 per bottle.

Nothing too sweet please. I have a few bottles of Irish that I’m still trying to choke down. 

Maker's Mark Private Select for wheat. All the store picks are pretty good. 

Pikesville for rye. If it's unavailable Jack Daniel Single Barrel Ryes are good. I don't think the store picks are worth the addition $15-20. 

Jack Daniel Single Barrel Barrel Proof for something high proof/tasty. The store picks are worth it. 

You’re in California,
You should pm Henry Gandorf and go to his place and try a bunch of different pours to see what you like

5 hours ago, Superhero said:

Bourbon probably isn't for you. You should try some mezcals if you like smoke. 

Is this a good price for this? Should I get it?

PXL_20230117_002900360.jpg