Bourbon

Jimbaround

9 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

A buddy told me “Hey I know a guy, I can get you some allocated bottles”, so I said Yes, please.  What are normal prices at the liquor store for these?  Then I’ll tell you what was charged at the store. 

8A18F18A-A534-4786-B119-BD869DC1818C.jpeg

I paid $50 even for 107 and about $38-42 for EHT Small Batch. 

That asshole in San Francisco is charging $150 for EHT Small Batch now. Poor form. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

I'm in Steamboat Springs and was wandering through a small market with a liquor section. Had about 12 bottles of Eagle Rare on the shelf for $80.00. I've never seen one in the wild before, but opted not to spend the money. 

You might not do better given the season/location. I usually just buy a handle of Buffalo Trace up there. Its satisfies the sipper and cocktail mixers. 

I’d look for Four Roses picks up there too. 

On 1/16/2023 at 4:46 PM, Superhero said:

I have no experience with bourbons and have been mostly a Scotch and Japanese whisky drinker.

My palate prefers a drink that isn’t heavy on pepper, but includes a moderate amount of smoke. My go-tos are Lagavulin, Yoichi, Talisker (which is pretty smoky), or Green Label when I’m drinking on a budget.

I want to add some bourbons to my whisky / whiskey shelf and looking for a starting point. Budgeting being $60-$80 per bottle.

Nothing too sweet please. I have a few bottles of Irish that I’m still trying to choke down. 

This past weekend a buddy of mine had a bottle that tasted way different than bourbons I'm used to tasting and you might actually like it. It wasn't nearly as sweet as other bourbons and had a hint of smoke with some tobacco notes. Elijah Craig Toasted Barrel. No idea where he got it but he said it was about $50

39 minutes ago, huge said:

Who can give me a review of the JD Twice Barreled American Single Malt?

I'm curious, does it taste like scotch?

It does not taste like Scotch.  American Single Malts are their own breed.  
The JD is really good.  It's not as sweet as a bourbon, the sherry finish really shines through on this one.  I am a big fan of this.  It's very fruit forward without being overly sweet and has a great finish to it.  

39 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

It does not taste like Scotch.  American Single Malts are their own breed.  
The JD is really good.  It's not as sweet as a bourbon, the sherry finish really shines through on this one.  I am a big fan of this.  It's very fruit forward without being overly sweet and has a great finish to it.  

Admittedly I have not had any American Single Malts other than Balcones 1 in prob 8 years.  Looking forward to trying this now.

3 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Longer than that.  I have a bottle that’s unopened.  You want to buy it?

I guess?  Why are you looking to sell?

107 is fine but I don't care one way or the other.  However I would buy 2 if I found it at retail.

18 minutes ago, huge said:

I guess?  Why are you looking to sell?

107 is fine but I don't care one way or the other.  However I would buy 2 if I found it at retail.

Well, if people want to be retarded and overpay, why not?  I also have an unopened bottle of Stagg Jr. Batch 1 if anyone wants to over pay for that shit too.

I did a little organizing (caught the Covid and I’m bored) today and moved all my unopened bottles except the top shelf out of our pantry and the bar.  Found a couple I thought I’d traded but apparently I’m down a Barterhouse 20 so that sucks.  If anybody wants to trade a shitty Stagg Jr Batch 1 for a good batch I got you.  

BA3C6CAB-F763-44C3-98FE-D49A74DF1ECC.jpeg

254A2C27-C766-47B9-8596-7AD2C65F1551.jpeg

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

What little book is that?

Those are Chapter 4, I quit buying them after Chapter 5.  Chapter 2 is what got me into the series because I have a soft spot for that weird ass 40 y/o corn whiskey.  I highly recommend any of the Chronicles bottles to anybody with $215 who’s bored with bourbon.  

Edited by USCATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Sigh.

I feel like I got you into some secondary groups and caused you to hate all collections and allocated bourbon. Sorry if I ruining it for you with fruit from T he tree of knowledge.  If it makes you feel any better I have pretty much all of this open (and more) and many people have enjoyed drinking at my bar.