Bourbon

Jimbaround

I don’t hate secondary groups. They serve a purpose and I’ve been involved on both sides of several transactions, though I’ve only used it once in the last year.

I’m increasingly confounded by people that hoard whiskey to the point of owning more than they are likely to drink in their lifetime. It only contributes to the problem. I don’t own a backup of a single bottle in my collection. And I’m downright over the culture of posting pictures as some sort of dick measuring contest. Yes, I’ve posted some pics on this thread. No, I don’t plan to do it any more. We all know what these bottles look like at this point.

I’m here for the dialogue on what’s good and what’s not, but I couldn’t be less interested in looking at pictures of other people’s bottles.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I don’t hate secondary groups. They serve a purpose and I’ve been involved on both sides of several transactions, though I’ve only used it once in the last year.

I’m increasingly confounded by people that hoard whiskey to the point of owning more than they are likely to drink in their lifetime. It only contributes to the problem. I don’t own a backup of a single bottle in my collection. And I’m downright over the culture of posting pictures as some sort of dick measuring contest. Yes, I’ve posted some pics on this thread. No, I don’t plan to do it any more. We all know what these bottles look like at this point.

I’m here for the dialogue on what’s good and what’s not, but I couldn’t be less interested in looking at pictures of other people’s bottles.

I like the flexing. It’s all about goals. I want bottles and pools and all that shit like the 1% post here.

That said, I’m in the middle, certainly not a poor.

9 hours ago, USCATX said:

I did a little organizing (caught the Covid and I’m bored) today and moved all my unopened bottles except the top shelf out of our pantry and the bar.  Found a couple I thought I’d traded but apparently I’m down a Barterhouse 20 so that sucks.  If anybody wants to trade a shitty Stagg Jr Batch 1 for a good batch I got you.  

BA3C6CAB-F763-44C3-98FE-D49A74DF1ECC.jpeg

254A2C27-C766-47B9-8596-7AD2C65F1551.jpeg

The Maker’s Mark Private Select guy laughs at your collection. 

But seriously, that is damn impressive. 

3 is my magic number. 1 to drink with 2 in reserve. 

Was on a SW flight yesterday and some guy was carrying an empty case for Colonel E Taylor. It could have easily fit in a bag he and his wife were also carrying. It's like he was carrying it just so everyone could see that he had one. He dropped it once, and it was totally empty. What an ass.

Secondary groups are fantastic because they accelerate the eventual market bust (which will make stuff affordable and available again).

also, a lotta people are hoarding a bunch mid/average bottles these days, jfc. 

if I were yall, id care less about the secondary market and more about the meh bottles people are fawning over these days. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 6:06 PM, USCATX said:

I did a little organizing (caught the Covid and I’m bored) today and moved all my unopened bottles except the top shelf out of our pantry and the bar.  Found a couple I thought I’d traded but apparently I’m down a Barterhouse 20 so that sucks.  If anybody wants to trade a shitty Stagg Jr Batch 1 for a good batch I got you.  

BA3C6CAB-F763-44C3-98FE-D49A74DF1ECC.jpeg

254A2C27-C766-47B9-8596-7AD2C65F1551.jpeg

Get well soon.

On 1/21/2023 at 8:05 PM, RichUT said:

I’m increasingly confounded by people that hoard whiskey to the point of owning more than they are likely to drink in their lifetime.

i don't troll around to a bunch of stores, but i do have a few contacts around town.  when they text or call me, i go buy whatever they're texting or calling about, because i want to continue to get those calls.  the bottles are all at retail, and i will buy anything not nailed down.

some i keep, and some i get reimbursed for by friends.  at least 8-10 people are very happy with my decision to buy everything i can.  it will all eventually get enjoyed by someone i know.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i don't troll around to a bunch of stores, but i do have a few contacts around town.  when they text or call me, i go buy whatever they're texting or calling about, because i want to continue to get those calls.  the bottles are all at retail, and i will buy anything not nailed down.

some i keep, and some i get reimbursed for by friends.  at least 8-10 people are very happy with my decision to buy everything i can.  it will all eventually get enjoyed by someone i know.

As someone who has benefitted directly from Henry, I approve this message.

I have to go to a bourbon tasting party tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a bottle under $50 that would be good to go buy and bring.  I don't want to bring the good stuff but I also don't want to poison these people.  Was thinking something different (not makers, woodford, wild turkey, etc...) but still decent.

Edited by Beantown Express 2.0

40 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I have to go to a bourbon tasting party tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a bottle under $50 that would be good to go buy and bring.  I don't want to bring the good stuff but I also don't want to poison these people.  Was thinking something different (not makers, woodford, wild turkey, etc...) but still decent.

Woodinville or Redwood Empire Lost Monarch

• Like 1

It’s not bourbon but I love introducing people to Balcones Rumble just because it’s such an unusual flavor profile.  I’ve had people both love and hate it; both results I appreciate more than another bourbon with a very similar flavor complexion to 20 other bourbons on the market.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Old Forester 1920.  just a bit over $50

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Rare Breed or Kentucky Spirit. Russell’s Reserve SiB if you want to spend a bit more. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

Old Forester 1920.  just a bit over $50

That's my everyday sipper so I was trying to go cheap on this bottle since I don't know most of these people.  The guy at Goody Goody convinced me to buy a bottle of Punchers Chance.  It's probably shit and I will dump it down the drain but for $30 he said it was a good pour. 

Old Bardstown Estate Bottled always surprises folks at tastings. Should be under $40

That's my everyday sipper so I was trying to go cheap on this bottle since I don't know most of these people.  The guy at Goody Goody convinced me to buy a bottle of Punchers Chance.  It's probably shit and I will dump it down the drain but for $30 he said it was a good pour. 

Hell don’t know them,
Spend less than $20 and get an Evan Williams Bottled in Bond.
Fucking great bang for the Buck.

10 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

So did a blind best of 2022.
df51aebc20bc406bc88eae30244545ec.jpg

Results:
391bc9615db0a50eb89ce9defe632057.jpg

Those are some hitters.  2022 GTS is probably one of the best bourbons I’ve ever had in my life and definitely better than this year’s WLW.  But I’m not surprised that RC 16 was way up there.  It was probably my favorite somewhat easy to find bourbon of ‘22 and it’s hilarious to me that its secondary value is maybe $75 over retail.  

9 minutes ago, USCATX said:

Those are some hitters.  2022 GTS is probably one of the best bourbons I’ve ever had in my life and definitely better than this year’s WLW.  But I’m not surprised that RC 16 was way up there.  It was probably my favorite somewhat easy to find bourbon of ‘22 and it’s hilarious to me that its secondary value is maybe $75 over retail.  

If you see one, would you mind grabbing me one? I am not having as easy time finding it. 

2 hours ago, RichUT said:

What’s the feeling on Irish whiskey around here? Our group picked up a Redbreast 27 and can’t stand it, but I’ve had a couple of the Spots that are great and the Redbreast Kentucky Oak was a great pour too.

What about the Redbreast do you not like?  I freaking love it.  Grapefruit bomb.

On 1/27/2023 at 9:49 PM, BigDHornfan said:

So did a blind best of 2022.
df51aebc20bc406bc88eae30244545ec.jpg

Results:
391bc9615db0a50eb89ce9defe632057.jpg

I’d have HH17 in my top two pours of 2022. I think 2022 GTS deserves solid acclaim. 

But doing KoK blind is kind of funny to me. I can taste that Brown Forman blind, double blind and triple blind. Also happens to be my top pours all time. Best Willetts that weren’t cask strength Bernheim I’ve ever had were Brown Forman. 

• Like 1