Bourbon

Jimbaround

52 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Old Scout pick opened up some / I’m not hammered like last night, and I think I’ll pass on another. There was a sweet note on the palate last night, tastes like vitamins today. 

Vitamins?  Read the fine print, does it still say its out of Indiana and not Tennessee?  Vitamins just screams Dickel to me, very much in a bad way.

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Suggestions for a New Riff noob?

You didn’t ask me but I got to do a barrel pick last year and it was delicious. The off the shelf SiB is every bit as good IMO. I’m looking forward to trying the rye and I kick myself for not grabbing the Balboa Rye when I saw it in Lville last summer. 

I cracked the SiB rye for you chaps. It’s lovely. Comes on big and strong on the first sip but settles in as you go. A little piece of ice opens it up and knocks back the oak I was starting to get. I really like it.

If it’s easy to find once it comes to Texas I can easily recommend adding both SiB to your rotations.

I've told this story before:  

My local, dirty, shitty liquor store changed hands and remodeled.   They cleaned it up tremendously.  New coolers, lighting, flooring, shelving, etc.

Directly above the register, on the top shelf, was a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle.   I asked the owner about it, and he told me that he had to twist his distributors arm to get it, and also had to buy 100 cases of fireball, but, he wanted it on the shelf for status; the only place in San Diego County to have it.   Retail was $1999, IIRC.  

Today I go in, and they have a bottle of "OFC", and the retail is $7,999.  

I've told this story before:  
My local, dirty, shitty liquor store changed hands and remodeled.   They cleaned it up tremendously.  New coolers, lighting, flooring, shelving, etc.
Directly above the register, on the top shelf, was a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle.   I asked the owner about it, and he told me that he had to twist his distributors arm to get it, and also had to buy 100 cases of fireball, but, he wanted it on the shelf for status; the only place in San Diego County to have it.   Retail was $1999, IIRC.  
Today I go in, and they have a bottle of "OFC", and the retail is $7,999.  

Sounds a LOT like a place in Encinitas I stopped in every so often… fuck that noise

12 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Sounds a LOT like a place in Encinitas I stopped in every so often… fuck that noise

I don't mind places like that doing shit like that.  I'm not going to buy it.  And I didn't expect to find something like that at retail.

But if they want a show pony in their display good for them.

On 2/1/2023 at 7:00 PM, BigDHornfan said:

If anyone wants a chance at some really good bottles.
Buddy does this every year.
The 13 yr Smoke Wagon is fucking emoji91.pngemoji91.pngemoji91.png
If anyone goes in, I will arrange shipping if you win.

https://superbowlpoolsite.com/contest/464691?p=mahomies

This is the one I tried to pay with Visa. Where is the Venmo payment option? I think I got it now, I’m slow.

Edited by RMac5

Not a ringing endorsement. I’ll try at the bar first. 

I know you probably watch all of the bourbon podcasts on YouTube,
Don’t take my word for it, but It’s Bourbon Night had the Nobleman in their top 10 of 2022.
It may have even been top 5.
It’s a Total Wine pick, I’d imagine you’re not gonna find it in a bar.

It’s good.

25 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

I know you probably watch all of the bourbon podcasts on YouTube,
Don’t take my word for it, but It’s Bourbon Night had the Nobleman in their top 10 of 2022.
It may have even been top 5.
It’s a Total Wine pick, I’d imagine you’re not gonna find it in a bar.

It’s good.

Hmm. Yeah if I can find a pick, I’ll go for it. Is the cognac finish better than the other one?

Yep it’s just as good as I remembered. 

6CECBC12-241D-44DC-B8F3-8BE859EBE4C0.thumb.jpeg.b9e46c7eb93fc58fec75bcdb236c8fe3.jpeg1B5CBBBD-134D-4F2E-BF39-6C27CD0E6A44.thumb.jpeg.1460655a720207c0daaa4cc8e188c372.jpeg