Bourbon

Jimbaround

picked up a huling station store pick too.  the GG pick was good, hope this one is as well.

Liquor King in Lewisville has a great pick of the Huling that Subourbon Dad’s Club did.
I liked it more than the GG pick.
But that one was good too.
Also…if anyone is interested I’m willing to trade half a bottle of this for a Kentucky spirit.

9d0644581435958412db872f6e1faa76.jpg

It’s a rare masters collection.

dfbdd4bb1d84057eb7c6424ea6759515.gif

That one was quite…polarizing

I have two things to add to this malaise. 

1) 2022 George T Stagg is tits. Like you need to get in on this. ASAP. 
2) for the uninitiated, Nashville barrel company and their endless supply of heavy char Kelvin cooperage MGP is not to be missed. Sure. It’s pricey at retail,  but a fraction of what it costs secondary for some amazing bourbon and rye. Highly recommend “Rye not roses” as it every bit as good as the limited edition smooth ambler ryes. 

B5C89001-CAC3-486D-B079-ECB394324FEC.jpeg

Edited by Bert Orange
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

2) for the uninitiated, Nashville barrel company and their endless supply of heavy char Kelvin cooperage MGP is not to be missed. Sure. It’s pricey at retail,  but a fraction of what it costs secondary for some amazing bourbon and rye. Highly recommend “Rye not roses” as it every bit as good as the limited edition smooth ambler ryes. 

I figured there was a reason why they gave me a WLW instead this year. Kidding, sort of. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

18 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

Well I know where $180 of my hard earned money is going.

I saw a 2021 GTS bottle last year and offered $300 for it. I was told $600 was the asking price. I kept going back to the liquor store every two weeks offering 300 bucks for. I felt dirty offering that much for for it. But it was gonna be a one time purchase. Eventually it disappeared and I asked how much it sold for. $400. Here’s my question since I don’t have access like most of you do…Should I have paid the 300 or even 400 to purchase the bottle? Regular folk like me don’t see these often and definitely don’t have access at retail.

Leave Bert alone. His point was was the 2022 GTS was exceedingly good. He also provided us with the Nashville ships to Texas gift. 

Sorry. I tried to edit his quote and actually wound up responding. I have edited my post to reflect the honest question I wanted to ask. I take all of the recommendations on here very seriously and use it to inform all of my purchases.
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Txslnghrns said:

I saw a 2021 GTS bottle last year and offered $300 for it. I was told $600 was the asking price. I kept going back to the liquor store every two weeks offering 300 bucks for. I felt dirty offering that much for for it. But it was gonna be a one time purchase. Eventually it disappeared and I asked how much it sold for. $400. Here’s my question since I don’t have access like most of you do…Should I have paid the 300 or even 400 to purchase the bottle? Regular folk like me don’t see these often and definitely don’t have access at retail.

On the secondary, GTS is going for around $900 - $1000.

29 minutes ago, Txslnghrns said:

Yes, but this feels like a trick because there’s no ‘21 GTS. 

Yes, but this feels like a trick because there’s no ‘21 GTS. 

I tried to buy the bottle in 2021. I’m new to the game compared to most of you on the thread. So forgive me for not knowing there was no ‘21 GTS. My question still is that if you don’t have access to bottles at retail, was my stance at $300 warranted? Or should I buy at asking price just to obtain bottles with this type of demand?

I tried to buy the bottle in 2021. I’m new to the game compared to most of you on the thread. So forgive me for not knowing there was no ‘21 GTS. My question still is that if you don’t have access to bottles at retail, was my stance at $300 warranted? Or should I buy at asking price just to obtain bottles with this type of demand?

If I saw a 2022 GTS for $400 I’d buy it. If I saw one for $600 I’d be pretty serious about it, and would try to talk the person down. It’s hard to imagine paying over $400 for a bottle. But that’s a function of my income . If had a lot more money, then $600 would be no big deal for something I want that’s hard to get.

If I saw a 2022 GTS for $400 I’d buy it. If I saw one for $600 I’d be pretty serious about it, and would try to talk the person down. It’s hard to imagine paying over $400 for a bottle. But that’s a function of my income . If had a lot more money, then $600 would be no big deal for something I want that’s hard to get.

Thanks for the honest answer. I kicked myself for not going up an extra hundred bucks. But at the time I thought I was doing the right thing. I even tried to let the owners know I was offering to pay 3x retail. But $600 wouldn’t have been a big deal either for me. It was just the principalities.

7 hours ago, Txslnghrns said:

I’d buy any GTS at $400 including the generally cheapest and least sought after one of the series, which is ‘19.  The first bottle I ever bought on the secondary was an ‘18 for $375 and I still have a little left.  I like to drink it with good steaks and on special occasions and have no regrets. 

17 hours ago, Txslnghrns said:

Thanks for the honest answer. I kicked myself for not going up an extra hundred bucks. But at the time I thought I was doing the right thing. I even tried to let the owners know I was offering to pay 3x retail. But $600 wouldn’t have been a big deal either for me. It was just the principalities.

In the end it's just whiskey. None of it is worth anywhere near $600. The value is completely in the mind of the beholder. If you buy it feeling like you paid too much then it won't hold that value for you because chances are you'll taste it and be disappointed. If you buy it thinking it's no big deal because it's a special occasion purchase to be enjoyed immensely then chances are you'll enjoy it. 

20 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Offer cash. The mom and pop stores hate paying taxes just as much you and I. One store lowered the price about $150 on some GTS. 

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

Got some very kitschy eclectic birthday presents from my Mom today.
Some 1973 decanters and one is completely sealed and full.
Gonna see how 50 yr old Beam tastes on my birthday in a week.
0836acaeb96ed2c6b41d9118963f86ef.jpg
af1953287c50a64caf63f5a31364451a.jpg

I had a couple Beam, Early Times and Fitzgerald decanters. Got a raging headache from overconsumption of lead. Suggest you drink those in moderation. 

• Like 1

someone explain store picks to me.  guy at goody goody told me that they do not send people to try the juice, they pretty much point and say "we will take that one" without much pomp and circumstance.  if i was steve goody goody i would be picking the shit out of the barrel that i want.

11 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

someone explain store picks to me.  guy at goody goody told me that they do not send people to try the juice, they pretty much point and say "we will take that one" without much pomp and circumstance.  if i was steve goody goody i would be picking the shit out of the barrel that i want.

They send samples. Village Liquor had a pretty good explanation on their website that they’ve since taken down.

Deb’s employees allegedly travel to Kentucky to make picks based on their price breakdown.

I have it excellent authority that NASA Liquor sends their people to Kentucky.

I suspect the big box stores are using a third party that they contract to make picks. Yes I want that job. Total goes with “Master Distiller Selection”pretty frequently. Spec’s has so many picks and they’re so consistent I suspect that they’re doing this. Either that, or their employees are getting hammered every night at tastings. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis