Bourbon

Jimbaround

Saw this at the local mom and pop. Don’t know too much about the Jeffersons except that I seem to remember reading that the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze. As in the ocean part of the deal was just a gimmick and didn’t really impart anything substantial to the overall experience. However, I do like ryes and this is the first time I’ve seen it. Has anyone experienced this yet and is it worth the $80 price point the store had it listed at?

a94b2279346712f3ebe5ffc60a801f13.jpg

My recent pickups:

St. Cloud : bottle has a little metal Hermes on it. That’s the best thing I can say about this. Cost me $90 at the suggestion of my guy at specs and it is terrible. I’m not sure if it’s the corn they used, or maybe wheat. Idk but it’s gross. Don’t buy.

Bardstown origins wheated BiB: ok, has a bit of that same funk as the st clouds, which is why I think it could be from the wheat in the mash overall not too bad. Would call it ok, wouldn’t buy again for $50

Bardstown origins high rye: the better of the two. Might buy again at $50, would for sure buy at $30. Inflstion I guess.

Jack daniels single barrel barrel proof 127 from specs: like this one. Have another thats >130 proof and it’s too spicy. This 127 proof is a sweet spot for me. Would recommend for $60 at specs

Makers mark ode to Texas from specs “ain’t my first rodeo”: good. Worth the $65 at specs. Caramel and toffee in the front hint of mint and fruit in the back. Nice twist. Very enjoyable

Red breast cask strength: good, $100 so pricey but was happy to add it on st Patrick’s day.

Lucky 7 the Frenchmen: good. $85 but super caramel and toffee. Do like and I’m happy I grabbed one.

• Like 1

Not highly sought after bottles by any means. But I keep my name in the loop at my mom and pop store. So I win occasional lottos and purchase all my Rare Breed there. So for this “win”, what does surly say I pick?

864ddc9849299160091ba0ab8b855991.jpg

I would want the 107, but I’m actively looking for one to compare to my specs pick 107 so….

20 hours ago, Txslnghrns said:

Not highly sought after bottles by any means. But I keep my name in the loop at my mom and pop store. So I win occasional lottos and purchase all my Rare Breed there. So for this “win”, what does surly say I pick?

864ddc9849299160091ba0ab8b855991.jpg

Honestly I’d go ECBP. If you run into a good one, it might be one of the best bottles you drink all year. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I like the Rye Not Roses, but it's still MGP rye. The recipe just doesn't do it for me. Perfectly fine sipper, but not close to a $200 bottle. 

I'll pick up the Nashville Barrel Spec's pick if it's age stated and under $120. 

I’ll walk this back some. It’s probably a $100 dollar bottle. It’s 10 year rye at damn near 120 proof. It opens up well for sure. 

22 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

My recent pickups:

St. Cloud : bottle has a little metal Hermes on it. That’s the best thing I can say about this. Cost me $90 at the suggestion of my guy at specs and it is terrible. I’m not sure if it’s the corn they used, or maybe wheat. Idk but it’s gross. Don’t buy.

Bardstown origins wheated BiB: ok, has a bit of that same funk as the st clouds, which is why I think it could be from the wheat in the mash overall not too bad. Would call it ok, wouldn’t buy again for $50

Bardstown origins high rye: the better of the two. Might buy again at $50, would for sure buy at $30. Inflstion I guess.

Jack daniels single barrel barrel proof 127 from specs: like this one. Have another thats >130 proof and it’s too spicy. This 127 proof is a sweet spot for me. Would recommend for $60 at specs

Makers mark ode to Texas from specs “ain’t my first rodeo”: good. Worth the $65 at specs. Caramel and toffee in the front hint of mint and fruit in the back. Nice twist. Very enjoyable

Red breast cask strength: good, $100 so pricey but was happy to add it on st Patrick’s day.

Lucky 7 the Frenchmen: good. $85 but super caramel and toffee. Do like and I’m happy I grabbed one.

Was the JDSiBBP a store pick? 

I don’t think think Spec’s marketed/priced their Texas Maker’s  picks well. If they offered all 5 for like $250 they would have sold out in a couple days. Instead they’ll be dealing with shelf turds the rest of the year. Maker’s Private Select is $50 all day everyday at Fiesta Mart. 

I don’t know to fell about Bardstown Origin Series. I guess the wheated is better than the high rye, but either their recipe or the aging isn’t quite right. The first release is supposed to be the youngest, so it should improve. It’s not something I’m buying in bulk, yet. 

Was the JDSiBBP a store pick? 

I don’t think think Spec’s marketed/priced their Texas Maker’s  picks well. If they offered all 5 for like $250 they would have sold out in a couple days. Instead they’ll be dealing with shelf turds the rest of the year. Maker’s Private Select is $50 all day everyday at Fiesta Mart. 

I don’t know to fell about Bardstown Origin Series. I guess the wheated is better than the high rye, but either their recipe or the aging isn’t quite right. The first release is supposed to be the youngest, so it should improve. It’s not something I’m buying in bulk, yet. 

Not a store pick.
c5332c6b482be3455d91ca92c7b96abd.jpg

I was indifferent towards the BiB the first time I had it. I didn’t come back to the bottle for a month plus, and poured some last night. I don’t know if it was just a matter of opening up or if my expectations were too high initially, but I found it to be damn good. Tons of vanilla and a bit of cherry. It’s a damn good flavor profile for a $50 bottle. I don’t believe in having a daily drinker, but I can totally see where this one would fit that bill for a lot of folks.

TW Grand Reserve for Spring is up.  The availability is:

1.  Old Fitz 17

2. Weller SB

3.  Weller 12 1L

4. EHT BP

5. Weller BP

6.  Weller 12 750 ml

7. Angel's Envy BP

8. Blanton's Barrel Pick

9. Blanton's

10. Yamazaki 18

I put them in that order.  Does that look about right?  I put the Yamazaki last since it's $700 and I already have Weller 12 and Blanton's.

1 hour ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

TW Grand Reserve for Spring is up.  The availability is:

1.  Old Fitz 17

2. Weller SB

3.  Weller 12 1L

4. EHT BP

5. Weller BP

6.  Weller 12 750 ml

7. Angel's Envy BP

8. Blanton's Barrel Pick

9. Blanton's

10. Yamazaki 18

I put them in that order.  Does that look about right?  I put the Yamazaki last since it's $700 and I already have Weller 12 and Blanton's.

EHT BP should probably be second, but I don’t have a problem with your list. 

2 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Just passed on a U/U at (fuck) SPEC’s for $80… it’s just not that good.

Did manage to snag two big boy BTs for $24 per though, so my old fashioned supply is revitalized!

U/U is like the barrel proof belle mead batches except not good. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Are all their ryes 10 years old? Spec's has a pick out right now with very little detail on it. If so ,they priced it pretty well for once.  

No. But if you didn’t care for 10 year MGP rye and dont like young MGP rye I’m not sure if MGP rye is right for you?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Are all their ryes 10 years old? Spec's has a pick out right now with very little detail on it. If so ,they priced it pretty well for once.  

The Specs NBC rye pick is likely a 7yr. That’s the price point for NBC 7s anyway. I’d be surprised if it’s older than that. 

On 3/26/2023 at 6:49 PM, BigDHornfan said:

If you rely on an age statement, you are gonna miss out on a ton of great shit.
Just sayin.

I’ve wasted so much breath trying to convince folks of this. Cooperage and level of char dramatically influence bourbon. In most cases, more so than age (other than hyper aging). For example, 5-6yr level 2+ char in Kelvin Cooperage tastes like 9+ year bourbon. Just try a 6 year Kelvin barrel from NBC and tell me if you think it doesn’t compete with much older bourbons!  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

That’s MGP my friend. 

Just a proofed down blend of barrels. 

I know it’s MGP Bert.

It’s a hit or miss recipe for me. Much like everything in the bourbon/world, older and higher proof is usually better. 

Yes, I’m shamelessly goading you into sending more samples. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

37 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I know it’s MGP Bert.

It’s a hit or miss recipe for me. Much like everything in the bourbon/world, older and higher proof is usually better. 

Yes, I’m shamelessly goading you into sending more samples. 

Hahaha. At least there are some that ring the bell. That’s what bourbon is all about. Not everything Willett / Heaven Hill / (insert name) puts out is good.