Bourbon

Jimbaround

I chose the OWA. Have never had a bottle of it nor have I tasted it. ec5b164d350faf44d161ff237ee32a8b.jpg
So I went ahead and chose that one. Went back in today to see if there were any gems and nobody wanted this Larceny that was in the drawing. So I took it. I was hoping it was the C922. But I thought the A122 I already had was pretty good. So it just gives me a backup to a backup. Im holding out on the C921 because I’ve heard that one was tasty.

• Hook 'Em 2

I've been evaluating daily drinkers by how I feel in the morning and it's somewhat surprising that some of the better regarded bourbons leave me with more of a hangover. 

Is that just a proof thing or does anyone else experience that?  That Larceny, for example, is fine in the evening but leaves me feeling pretty gross even if I don't drink enough to feel inebriated. 

5 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I've been evaluating daily drinkers by how I feel in the morning and it's somewhat surprising that some of the better regarded bourbons leave me with more of a hangover. 

Is that just a proof thing or does anyone else experience that?  That Larceny, for example, is fine in the evening but leaves me feeling pretty gross even if I don't drink enough to feel inebriated. 

Congeners are found in larger amounts in dark liquors, such as brandy and bourbon, than in clear liquors, such as vodka and gin. Congeners are more likely to produce a hangover or increase the severity of a hangover.

14 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Got a ER, EHT smb, and bookers 2022-4 today at specs. So sometimes that happens.

Nice score!

Got a EHT Small Batch at Richard's yesterday. Passed on Booker's at Spec's. I just can't at 90 bucks. 

I unwisely didn't work the phone during the EHT Rye drop. I love that stuff. 

13 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Congeners are found in larger amounts in dark liquors, such as brandy and bourbon, than in clear liquors, such as vodka and gin. Congeners are more likely to produce a hangover or increase the severity of a hangover.

Meh. I think it's mostly based on quality of the liquor. I put a huge dent in a bottle Russell's SiB and smoked a pack of cigarettes last night and I woke up feeling great this morning. 

In my opinion, getting smashed on blanco Don Julio ranch waters is the absolute best way to drink and avoid hangovers. The crossfit/paleo nuts have always told me that blanco tequila is the "cleanest" liquor. 

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Meh. I think it's mostly based on quality of the liquor. I put a huge dent in a bottle Russell's SiB and smoked a pack of cigarettes last night and I woke up feeling great this morning. 

In my opinion, getting smashed on blanco Don Julio ranch waters is the absolute best way to drink and avoid hangovers. The crossfit/paleo nuts have always told me that blanco tequila is the "cleanest" liquor. 

Where do congeners come from?

Where do congeners come from?

Congeners are minor compounds other than ethanol that occur naturally in alcohol beverages as a result of distilling and fermenting processes. Ethanol itself is the main source of hangover and other residual effects of alcohol (cognitive and behavioral). Studies comparing beer to liquor to wine, have generally not addressed beverage effects that clearly differ in congener content. The few experimental studies indicate that the highest congener beverage (bourbon) results in more severe hangover ratings than does the beverage with essentially no congeners (vodka), although ethanol effects per se had a considerably stronger effect on hangover than did congener content.

2 hours ago, Txslnghrns said:

Congeners are minor compounds other than ethanol that occur naturally in alcohol beverages as a result of distilling and fermenting processes. Ethanol itself is the main source of hangover and other residual effects of alcohol (cognitive and behavioral). Studies comparing beer to liquor to wine, have generally not addressed beverage effects that clearly differ in congener content. The few experimental studies indicate that the highest congener beverage (bourbon) results in more severe hangover ratings than does the beverage with essentially no congeners (vodka), although ethanol effects per se had a considerably stronger effect on hangover than did congener content.

Wine, stouts and bourbon give me the worst hangovers.  All alcohol affects my sleep these days.  Vodka doesn’t completely screw me though.

2 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Wine, stouts and bourbon give me the worst hangovers.  All alcohol affects my sleep these days.  Vodka doesn’t completely screw me though.

I'm at the point where if I drink enough water I don't have any ill effects the next day, but then I have to get up 2 or 3 times at night to pee. If I don't drink the water I don't get up, but then feel it big time the next morning. This could probably also go in the getting old sucks thread. 

12 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I'm at the point where if I drink enough water I don't have any ill effects the next day, but then I have to get up 2 or 3 times at night to pee. If I don't drink the water I don't get up, but then feel it big time the next morning. This could probably also go in the getting old sucks thread. 

I had to double check that I hadn’t written this.  I drink 12-16 oz water after every drink and it’s like magic. Well, maybe not magic but it both slows you down and keeps you hydrated. Bonus points for peeing all night and having your wife ask why you keep getting up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/1/2023 at 7:52 PM, Party_Taco said:

So, the better half insists that we don’t need a storage unit for $40/mo…

This is what doesn’t fit in our new bar here… I’m somehow expected to fit this in existing spots around the kitchen… emoji2357.png

53f14278bb258fdbe9c43272b15fd147.jpg
3ce2813a42884e81e4effaa38690dd06.jpg

i've never heard of an ex-bourbon collection.

i have heard of an ex-wife.

choose wisely.

• Haha 1

i've never heard of an ex-bourbon collection.
i have heard of an ex-wife.
choose wisely.

Only ended up having to spread it across two rooms, with the cherry bottles going under the stairs… of course, everything in the kitchen is mostly inaccessible as it’s 8 bottles deep per cabinet and overhead.

I miss my bar…

1 hour ago, Party_Taco said:

Only ended up having to spread it across two rooms, with the cherry bottles going under the stairs… of course, everything in the kitchen is mostly inaccessible as it’s 8 bottles deep per cabinet and overhead.

I miss my bar… emoji36.png

Those Austin square footage prices must be a bitch. Yeah, a climate controlled storage unit in your neighborhood might not be a terrible idea. Especially if it's close enough to walk. 

On 4/2/2023 at 8:48 AM, USCATX said:

I had to double check that I hadn’t written this.  I drink 12-16 oz water after every drink and it’s like magic. Well, maybe not magic but it both slows you down and keeps you hydrated. Bonus points for peeing all night and having your wife ask why you keep getting up. 

Head to Walmart or whatever store is close to you and pick up some of this stuff. I started using it if I'm going to drink more than 1 or 2, usually for parties, and it's fantastic. I pour half of 1 pack in a water bottle and slam it at the beginning and pour the other half in a water bottle and slam it at the end of the night. In between just mix in some water like usual and I don't have the hangover issue much. That dehydration is the bitch you feel but don't think about. 

9f959cdf-f8c9-461d-a5a9-0bec210da57b.b7afdfd56b1b3f65dc4f0f41feadfdfd.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 9:52 PM, Party_Taco said:

So, the better half insists that we don’t need a storage unit for $40/mo…

This is what doesn’t fit in our new bar here… I’m somehow expected to fit this in existing spots around the kitchen… emoji2357.png

53f14278bb258fdbe9c43272b15fd147.jpg
3ce2813a42884e81e4effaa38690dd06.jpg

Hell just kill the dogs!  I could see a tall bookshelf that would hold whatever I would have left where the dog dishes are.  Of course I would have to drink a few of the bottles mourning the death of my dogs... 😂

On 4/4/2023 at 7:16 AM, Party_Taco said:

I miss my bar… emoji36.png

Your bar was badass.  Can’t you build another one?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d say the note is more bitter chocolate now. Good to great MGP. 

Glad you got one, that’s one of my favorite findable bottles of the last year. Definitely a ton of oak, leather and tobacco notes on it. 

14 minutes ago, USCATX said:

Glad you got one, that’s one of my favorite findable bottles of the last year. Definitely a ton of oak, leather and tobacco notes on it. 

I wish I bought 2. Tough ask at $220 a bottle. That said if you told me it was Eagle Rare 17 in a blind test, I'd believe you.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 4/9/2023 at 9:10 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Does anybody have in at the Woodway Goody Goody? I’m thinking about changing my shopping habits. 

edit: I think they’re closing in a month if Facebook is to be believed. 

I live nearby and that’s my understanding as well.  I liked the store, but it never seemed to take off.  I was there last Friday and some of the shelves were already beginning to have large bare spots.  Especially the beer cooler.  The newish Spec’s on Fountainview is already booming.  

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

I live nearby and that’s my understanding as well.  I liked the store, but it never seemed to take off.  I was there last Friday and some of the shelves were already beginning to have large bare spots.  Especially the beer cooler.  The newish Spec’s on Fountainview is already booming.  

Yep, big yellow sign on the front door says Goody Goody is closing April 29th. The reason given was an increase in rent, but I heard Spec’s bought Goody’s restaurant/bar supplier business last year. And yes Spec’s Fountain View opened recently. It’s probably a little bit of all three. 

6 hours ago, USCATX said:

I haven’t tried the 10 yet, but that 12 goes so hard.  You can almost feel that corner turning on slightly more available and high quality high age statements.  

Yeah it’s getting there. The Breaking Bourbon fellows hinted at JD increasing the age of each of their “Aged Releases”. I assume they’ll put out a 14 in 2024 or 2025. I believe the 10 will be a permanent fixture in their lineup. 

I’m very excited about the JD Barrel Proof Rye wide release, and I believe their single malt finished in sherry casks release is coming this summer. 

image.jpeg.b612fcea85fd713c577fccbd7c7075f1.jpeg

I haven’t tried the 10 yet, but that 12 goes so hard.  You can almost feel that corner turning on slightly more available and high quality high age statements.  

I haven't had a bad barrel proof yet. I've got 7 different JD BP picks and all of their special releases open and I can't tell you which one is my favorite. Absolutely delicious
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1