Bourbon

Jimbaround

7 minutes ago, Rollo Tomassi said:

you gotta help a brother out here.  What store?  I called that Westlake Twin Liquors you mentioned up-thread and they had just sold their last Weller 12 bottle.

I found Elmer T Lee randomly on the shelves a few months ago and Michner's 10 a few weeks later.  Since then I randomly look, but nothing interesting as of yet.  Must have just been particularly lucky that month.

On 3/31/2018 at 10:18 AM, HiggyBaby said:

My go to lately is Breckenridge Distillery. It’s a blend but goes down oh so smooth and tastes great. I imagine they’ll expand their offering as they get older .

breckbourbon-web.png

You are actually the first person that I have found that likes Breckenridge Bourbon.  I was up there back in December and they are starting to get a few different versions out there, including some port cask aged ones.

2 hours ago, Yankee said:

Some stores like playing where's waldo and put out allocated bottles randomly on the shelf throughout the year for regulars to find.

Yeah, that describes my stumble upon the WLW.  They certainly didn't have a case of them out in plain view.  It was a single bottle on the top shelf tucked between bottles that you would look right over normally.  However, it was tucked in the same spot where I spotted a Blantons a month or so ago, so I made a point to look. 

2 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

Taking a group to KY this summer and while I've been to a few distilleries on the bourbon trail, never any of the 3 that are in Louisville.  

Angel's Envy, Evan Williams, Bulleit.

Any rec's out of these 3?

Yeah, I planned a 4 day trip for a group of friends last August, and we went to Evan Williams. One thing you'll find as you start going to these places is that the tours are all generally the same. You learn how they make bourbon every time, drink a few tastings, then check out the gift shop and get going. Not saying they tours aren't worth it, but it's always great when you can find something different and unique, which Evan Williams' provides if you do their "Speakeasy" tour.  They only give it twice a day, and you need to reserve tickets ahead of time, but it's worth it for something odd. The bartender is a character actor from the 1920's prohibition era, who talks to you about the "current events." He teaches you about the "Bottle In Bond" designation, talks about how bootlegger operations work, and pours 4 whiskey's along the way, including EW 18 year, something you don't get on the regular tour. You also get Pikesville rye, which is worth a try. It's worth the effort to make it if you can.  

Bulleit was a standard tour without much flare. Their bourbons generally aren't anything special, so not a big deal if you don't make it over there. Can't speak for Angel's Envy.  

If you want to copy my homework, here's my google spreadsheet of Bourbon Trail research for my trip. I like to plan out these things like I'm going to Napa on a winery tour, where I schedule and reserve all the good places weeks in advance.  Our trip included a day of eclipse viewing in Franklin, so our schedule is a bit different than what you would be doing, but our Saturday schedule is something you could copy.  Buffalo Trace/Woodford/Lexington/Four Roses in a single day is absolutely great. Copper and Kings is kind of unique since they do brandy as well as other liquor. It's easy to hit in the evening before dinner if you have time and are staying in Louisville. You can walk from there back towards downtown and hit some good food, bars and breweries on the way. You MUST go to Royal's Hot Chicken and get their hot chicken, it's the best spicy fried chicken I have had in my life, even better than Max's and Uchi's.

If you need non-alcohol stuff to do, the Kentucky Derby was really cool. I highly recommend watching the video in the 360 theater. Mammoth Cave National Park was awesome too, but you need to get there before 4 to get on a cave tour.  

Kentucky Sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WEEwx4CvItYGn7JFPLRUeTrJHDZfep2QWGAI39jH2rE/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Dutchrudder
  • Like 6

That’s fine. I had a hard time believing it myself. Would be an odd thing to lie about, though.

Lucky for me, belief or no belief doesn’t change how much I’m going to enjoy it.

I’m not calling you a liar. I just can’t believe it. It’s unbelievable.

And I’m totes jelly. I think it’s the best brown water ever made.

I’m not calling you a liar. I just can’t believe it. It’s unbelievable.

And I’m totes jelly. I think it’s the best brown water ever made.

Well, if you’re in Austin or going to be here any time, send me a PM. I’m happy to share.
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2018 at 11:05 PM, Hook'Em0608 said:

I'm completely stuck on Larceny as my everyday bourbon. It's replaced Four Roses small batch. I know this is nothing new for this thread, but I felt like it needed saying since it's a new website. I'm also a big fan of Knob Creek single barrel reserve but it's getting expensive for what it is. 

P.S. Eagle Rare has become hot garbage. WTH did they do to that bourbon? It use to be one of my favorites. 

Probably pulling it too early because of demand.  I haven't had any I'd call hot garbage though, especially at that price point.  I have been noticing that Bulleit (orange label) has been drinking smoother lately. 

You are actually the first person that I have found that likes Breckenridge Bourbon.  I was up there back in December and they are starting to get a few different versions out there, including some port cask aged ones.
Yeah. I'm not a fan of any CO bourbons. They don't age them long enough.

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
15 hours ago, Ebeye said:

Yeah. I'm not a fan of any CO bourbons. They don't age them long enough.

Yep, some of them do this whole we use small barrels so the bourbon ages quicker...  They all need about 3-4 more years aging.

Haven't tried it, saw one behind the counter and said fuck it. I am not sure that its going to be able to live up to its price tag, but wanted to add the bottle to the cabinet. Reviews I read say it's in a separate class from the OG. 

Edited by Anastasis

17 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Pretty happy with a rando Twins drop in.

And if imgur still shitting the bed:

W12, oregon black maple hill, and balcones rye

umiCxp1.jpg

i keep seeing posts on this balcones rye but i have seen a bottle in the wild

what twins did you hit up today? and are there any left? thoughts on the rye?

Edited by staboner

@staboner Only had a small pour mixed with coke zero.

I kid. I get this characteristic balcones oily astringency that I pick up across a lot of their stuff (I don't know if that is the "proper" term, but I've used it to describe something i get in the bourbon as well). Loved it with a few drops of water. But I am a self professed Balcones fanboi.   

This was Bee Cave Galleria. I burn my recipes when I walk out of the store, but I want to say this came in @$35 and there was a lot on the shelf (and blue corn bourbon in the case at front, or that may have been specs down the road, either way saw plenty on shelve recently).  It appears to me that Balcones has really ramped up their production. I remember when single malt was scarce, but that shit is everywhere all the time, and apparently they just laid up a huge batch of the rye as well. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

@staboner Only had a small pour mixed with coke zero.

I kid. I get this characteristic balcones oily astringency that I pick up across a lot of their stuff (I don't know if that is the "proper" term, but I've used it to describe something i get in the bourbon as well). Loved it with a few drops of water. But I am a self professed Balcones fanboi.   

This was Bee Cave Galleria. I burn my recipes when I walk out of the store, but I want to say this came in @$35 and there was a lot on the shelf (and blue corn bourbon in the case at front, or that may have been specs down the road, either way saw plenty on shelve recently).  It appears to me that Balcones has really ramped up their production. I remember when single malt was scarce, but that shit is everywhere all the time, and apparently they just laid up a huge batch of the rye as well. 

thanks. yeah i have seen more from them for sure, just never the rye. would like to give it a go. may try my mueller twins today

Not bourbon, but I found out yesterday that Balcones is available at my local stores.  They had Texas Single Malt, Baby Blue, Brimstone, and Rumble.  I'm a big fan of single malt and Brimstone, less so on the others.  It some ways, though, I feel like I've lost something special.  I like to share single malt with friends and feel like it's a secret that only I know about.  But the positive is I can drink it more often without worrying about how to obtain a refill.

There’s five bottles of Black Maple Hill (95 proof) at Urban Wine and Liquor on Congress. Tell him the guy in the Texas baseball jersey on Friday night sent you and he said he’d be willing to negotiate on price (his actual words) He’s had the bottles on the shelf for a while and wants to get rid of them.
8073153e568cae0aefb2b4ca292078d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok i opened the squat bmh and the state of Oregon should be tossed out of these united states for this atrocity. how could they name the liquor of the SW gods after this trash. this is now relegated to cocktail use only. jesus christ it is bad

13 minutes ago, mbpcb said:

ok i opened the squat bmh and the state of Oregon should be tossed out of these united states for this atrocity. how could they name the liquor of the SW gods after this trash. this is now relegated to cocktail use only. jesus christ it is bad

Oh good, I always wanted a bottle of hugely over priced mixing bourbon. fuck me.