Bourbon

Jimbaround

18 minutes ago, ERhine said:

Have you only been to one liquor store?  People keep claiming Eagle Rare is hard to find on here.  I see it all the time.  Buffalo Trace is even easier to locate.

Those people must be going to TW. They had Buffalo Trace up front at Buy one at time counter. I kind of laughed.

Thinking about it some more. I think I will buy up the next 2 or ER i come across. No use in taking a chance.

Also, coming across a few Stagg Jrs. I want the real thing, but can't find any other than the bars. Should I pick the jrs up.

Won’t there be a flooded market at some point? Meaning when bourbon started becoming a thing, didn’t all the companies build more rickhouses? I thought I read an article or two about that. So one would think that in 2020 or something, there might be a shit ton of Pappy? Or do they make the same amount to keep it Rare?

2 hours ago, ERhine said:

Have you only been to one liquor store?  People keep claiming Eagle Rare is hard to find on here.  I see it all the time.  Buffalo Trace is even easier to locate.

Nope. Spec's, Twin, Total Wine, and multiple local spots are all out of Buffalo Trace when I've gone. Maybe I've just been having the worst luck. They have the section marked off but its just empty. I grabbed a bottle of 1792 on recommendation most recently, but I haven't opened it yet. Been drinking rye.

Nope. Spec's, Twin, Total Wine, and multiple local spots are all out of Buffalo Trace when I've gone. Maybe I've just been having the worst luck. They have the section marked off but its just empty. I grabbed a bottle of 1792 on recommendation most recently, but I haven't opened it yet. Been drinking rye.

Which 1792?
Only one I’ve liked has been the full proof.

14 hours ago, Biscuits And Groovy said:

I usually have no problem finding Buffalo Trace at my Spec's or Twin Liquors.  Rarely on the shelf at Total Wine, though.  In fact, a couple months ago, TW had it as a one per person allocation along with ER10 and Blanton's.  Yeah, my one bottle that day was Blanton's.

This may be a stupid question, but what's the deal with Buffalo Trace?  I am not much of a connoisseur and mainly stick to the value brands, but BT was in my wheelhouse.  I new it was popular and for the most part was stocked at most stores.  I just assumed it was more mass produced bourbon.  Now it's not in any the stores I frequent.  I don't hunt like you guys, so I just moved on to another value offering.

15 hours ago, Biscuits And Groovy said:

"Small Batch", 93.7 proof. I'm guessing its the standard 1792 offering. I just didn't have a bottle of bourbon in my cabinet, so I needed to buy something. Since Buffalo Trace was off the menu I went with this one.

Didn't have a bottle of bourbon in my cabinet? Not sure I understand. Did you check the bunker? The closet? You mean you don't have boxes of bottles stashed all over the house from the last time a bottle was rumored to be going away or becoming allocated?

So the 1792 was too high rye for my bourbon tastes. I've got rye for when I wanna drink rye. I'm gonna make it my mixing bourbon.

Went to a small neighborhood spot to get something better and they had 4 bottles of Buffalo Trace on the shelf. I snagged two and was talking to the cashier about how various cheaper bourbons are becoming a pain in the ass to find, and how sub-$35 bottles are being reserved to a call list. He ended up letting me buy the one bottle of Weller 12 that they had in the back that someone forgot to pick up when they called. That's a pretty good score IMO. It's been a minute since I've seen Weller 12 on a shelf. 

• Like 1

At the bourbon bar in my building (yes it’s dangerous) tonight I tried Taylor Seasoned Wood, Smooth Ambler Contradiction, Yellow Rose and Jameson Caskmate Stout Edition (note: not a bourbon). I enjoyed them all.

damn a bar in your building has EHT seasoned wood? best wishes to your liver

On 3/26/2018 at 2:37 PM, mbpcb said:

so glad this thread lives on.  I opened a bottle of HW YKY last night in honor of the pending death of the old board/thread.

What is your take on YKY? This little store by me has blantons for $61, ER 1.75L for $61, and YKY for $72. It really kind of sticks out since it’s not really their fare; they have huge jugs of box wine, big Jose Cuervo signs, etc. but the dudes are nice and their prices for ER, BT, sazerac, EW single barrel, larceny are lower than the city by 5-10 bucks and the rest of the queens competition by a couple bucks.

My only hesitation on the YKY is that it looks dusty as hell. Same for the ER 1.75. Anyone have experience with buying from less high end stores? I know it’s just dust but could that be any indication that their storage methods might not be the best or the bottle could have turned? Worst case scenario I buy a skunk bottle but I’d like to avoid if possible. Full disclosure, I’m a beer drinker so no clue if the same rules apply for bourbon, please be kind surly on my ignorance.

i absolutely love YKY. i always have a backup bottle of it in my office in case i run out. but i’m a sucker for bourbons and ryes aged in wine barrels like MWND, YKY, and Straight Edge for my night caps in lieu of a more traditional port or for drinking when i’m not in the mood for heat... i also often enjoy with meals where is traditionally pair a big red. i wouldn’t fear the dust. sounds like a store that doesn’t have bourbon connesieurs as regulars so no one knows what it is?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mbpcb said:

sounds like a store that doesn’t have bourbon connesieurs as regulars so no one knows what it is?

Agreed.  Sounds to me like a store owner /  manager you should get acquainted with.  Buy the bottles they have and have him contact when they get in similar bourbon.

25 minutes ago, achooloco said:

What is your take on YKY? This little store by me has blantons for $61, ER 1.75L for $61, and YKY for $72. It really kind of sticks out since it’s not really their fare; they have huge jugs of box wine, big Jose Cuervo signs, etc. but the dudes are nice and their prices for ER, BT, sazerac, EW single barrel, larceny are lower than the city by 5-10 bucks and the rest of the queens competition by a couple bucks.

My only hesitation on the YKY is that it looks dusty as hell. Same for the ER 1.75. Anyone have experience with buying from less high end stores? I know it’s just dust but could that be any indication that their storage methods might not be the best or the bottle could have turned? Worst case scenario I buy a skunk bottle but I’d like to avoid if possible. Full disclosure, I’m a beer drinker so no clue if the same rules apply for bourbon, please be kind surly on my ignorance.

He only seems to be about $10 higher than retail on the blanton's and ER.   I'd buy him out and get to know him.

i enjoy HW quite a bit as a sipper but also the double rye is my go to for old fashioneds. i have a store pick double rye that i savor as a sipper though. double rye, MWND, YKY, Boureye, Son of Bourye... all are staples in my bar.

i absolutely love YKY. i always have a backup bottle of it in my office in case i run out. but i’m a sucker for bourbons and ryes aged in wine barrels like MWND, YKY, and Straight Edge for my night caps in lieu of a more traditional port or for drinking when i’m not in the mood for heat... i also often enjoy with meals where is traditionally pair a big red. i wouldn’t fear the dust. sounds like a store that doesn’t have bourbon connesieurs as regulars so no one knows what it is?

Nice to see a shout out for Straight Edge. People dismiss it because it’s a contract bourbon novelty product (true), but it’s damn tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to see a shout out for Straight Edge. People dismiss it because it’s a contract bourbon novelty product (true), but it’s damn tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as opposed to slaughterhouse which i think is hot garbage, sadly.

2 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Yes. It better not start getting hard to find. Not much better for the price.

Seriously. I stopped by Total Wine last week to get a bottle for a friend and got a bottle of Henry McKenna for myself for $27. I'm gonna be pissed if I have to start working to find that like some of the other good brown waters.

I can’t see an immediate run on McKenna because of this SF award. Sure, it may see an uptick in demand, but the people who follow the SF spirit awards most likely already knew that this was a great value bourbon. Until you start overhearing people at the gas station and grocery store talking about it, I wouldn’t be too concerned.

I’m honestly surprised about the McKenna award. I got a bottle a couple years ago and was unimpressed. As I recall it was missing the sweetness that I like in bourbon.

I guess I should be glad that people are going to start hoarding something I don’t care for.

Can someone write an article about how Weller 12 is total shite?

4 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

The 10 year is $27 at Total Wine. Should I buy all 18 of them?

Short answer: maybe?

I like it with a cube of ice that i leave in for a minute and take out.  Rounds the edges and makes for a very enjoyable sipper.

Edited by Jimbaround

if mckenna 10, which is wonderful at the price point, turns into the next tater chase, i may need to develop a new palate for high end tequila... which i am slowly appreciating because some have a bourbon taste to me, like clase azul... this turn of events would be beyond ridiculous.

11 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m honestly surprised about the McKenna award. I got a bottle a couple years ago and was unimpressed. As I recall it was missing the sweetness that I like in bourbon.

I guess I should be glad that people are going to start hoarding something I don’t care for.

Can someone write an article about how Weller 12 is total shite?

It's a single barrel bourbon and I've found that it can vary quite a bit from bottle to bottle.