Bourbon

Jimbaround

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I've been searching for Rebel Yell 10 for a while and can't find it anywhere.  I assume the article ranking it high caused the shortage.  Or it's very limited.  Either way, I've never seen it.  

Well...shit 

just saw Total Wine posted it had some Rebel Yell 10. Got to store. All gone. 

Might be in the area. 

Edited by Neonmoon

Any idea what this is? Found it at my parents house and they weren’t drinkers at all. Probably from the early 1980’s. Could be garbage or good stuff but can’t find it online or the distillery online. They had a unopened bottle also.a286366244e91abe7202456247d47afe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not much help but...
http://theliquorcollection.com/single.php?id=730

19 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m honestly surprised about the McKenna award. I got a bottle a couple years ago and was unimpressed. As I recall it was missing the sweetness that I like in bourbon.

I guess I should be glad that people are going to start hoarding something I don’t care for.

Can someone write an article about how Weller 12 is total shite?

Weller 12 is good but not great. I’d give it a solid A-. It’s an above average daily drinker. I personally like Weller Antique 107 better. I prefer a higher proof. My guy Whiskey Blooded on Youtube correctly states the ideal proof to between 105 and 115. Buffalo Trace should just make Poor Man Pappy themselves.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

McKenna 10 quality varies pretty wildly from barrel to barrel. This isn't uncommon with single barrel bourbons, but Blanton's never seems to miss the mark. 

10 year, single barrel, bottled in bond Kentucky bourbons for under $35 are tough to find. I give the Heaven Hill folks all the credit in the world for their ambition. They just need to execute more consistently. 

The last bottle of McKenna I drank wasn't very good. Somewhat sour and flat. Gawd awful hangover the next day. 

Eagle Rare is the best daily drinker out there. But yes, it's getting tougher to find. A local liquor store told me it was an "allocated bottle" and I almost laughed him off the call. With prices going up, to maximize the bang on your buck, I recommend buying the 1.75 L of Eagle Rare whenever you see it for $60 and under. Remember just a few short years ago, Weller 12 was a daily drinker for many bourbon enthusiasts. 

I would also suggest making friends at your local liquor honey hole. You're going to be waiting forever if you're depending on Spec's to send a bottle your way. Always ask what they have behind the counter and check it out yourself. 

Beaumont and Midland (Pinkie's) seem to be particularly good bourbon treasure troves at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I know imgur don’t work, but that’s the only thing I use and anyway look what I got haaaaaaayyyyy

https://i.imgur.com/V9GCK6d.jpg

Nice pull. I drank my bottle on my birthday back in February. Very smooth. 

I wish they'd reduce the price, but Old Forester 1920 is darned good. 

Weller 12 is good but not great. I’d give it a solid A-. It’s an above average daily drinker. I personally like Weller Antique 107 better. I prefer a higher proof. My guy Whiskey Blooded on Youtube correctly states the ideal proof to between 105 and 115. Buffalo Trace should just make Poor Man Pappy themselves.

To each his own. I celebrate both variants.

I think the best widely available, reasonably priced bourbon is Four Roses Single Barrel. It's usually $35-40. 
They also make a barrel proof single barrel which runs about $70. 

Small batch is very good, and more consistent than the single barrel. But a good SB is very good.

8 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

To each his own. I celebrate both variants.

Have you found Antique harder or easier to find than 12? It seems like Buffalo Trace puts out a lot more 12.

I know a guy that works for Buffalo Trace. They send more Weller to Texas than the rest of country, combined. Very impressive indeed Texas. 

One of my many white whales. I've never seen it in the wild. 

I’ve seen it once and bought it. Drank that one way too quick. Got another bottle as a gift and bought one from the poster here and from Shag that bought a hellacious collection and he was nice enough to sell it at retail.
Taking my time savoring those 2 bottles. It’s one of my favorites. So smooth. If you’re in the DFW area, I’ll give you a pour.

3 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

I’ve seen it once and bought it. Drank that one way too quick. Got another bottle as a gift and bought one from the poster here and from Shag that bought a hellacious collection and he was nice enough to sell it at retail.
Taking my time savoring those 2 bottles. It’s one of my favorites. So smooth. If you’re in the DFW area, I’ll give you a pour.

Thank you for the invitation. I love Fort Worth, I don't get up there as often as I should. 

24 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

LOOK AT ME POST

Stuff I bought in the last 3 weeks for MSRP:

1) WLW

2) EC18

3) Stagg

4) the white fucking whale: BIRTHDAY

Holy s***. Are you banging Spec's heiress Lisa Rydman? Respect brother. 

As the third generation of her family at the 165-unit Specâs chain in Texas, Lisa Rydman has used her marketing skills to help manage the companyâs expansion.

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Total Wine got some today. Posted it on the FB page. Gone before I got there. 

Think any allocation might be at local stores. So look around 

We're talking Houston right? Despite the handle, Gabe Floyd is in Austin more than I am. 

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

LOOK AT ME POST

Stuff I bought in the last 3 weeks for MSRP:

1) WLW

2) EC18

3) Stagg

4) the white fucking whale: BIRTHDAY

You have to be getting this on the secondary market or you should be buying lottery tickets.

I can't bring myself to buy on the secondary market. Getting this stuff at MSRP is a big part of the thrill of hunt for me.  That and the HJs. 

How many stores did you hit over what period of time? Are these places where you have relationships with the owner?

37 minutes ago, FigurelliPwC said:

Which of the E.H. Taylor are worth picking up?  Also thoughts on Bird Dog 10yr small batch?  Local store owner recommended it.

The Small Batch is pretty good. The Single Barrel is better. Here's the hierarchy:

Some people like the Seasoned Wood better than the Four Grain. 

• Like 1

If I saw WLW on a shelf, I would immediately think someone was playing a joke on me 

same here. i’d be looking around for the hidden camera thinking i was on some candid camera type situation

i think 2018 Four Grain is being released now or very very soon. hope one of you is able to grab one as you find unicorns on the shelf.

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

How many stores did you hit over what period of time? Are these places where you have relationships with the owner?

One store - my local Twin (not the flagship Twin). I'm a good customer and the staff and manager take good care of me.  I've very touched by the Old Forester BB. One of the guys who works there took a shot in the dark with a rep because he knew I wanted it, and between he and the manager, they had been working their contracts for a year to get me a bottle. Great people. 
On the other hand- the Stagg was a total fluke. The manager put it on the shelf (as he does with that kind of thing) because he doesn't want to see grail bourbon wind up on the secondary market.  I walked in, and there it was. Incredibly, it had been there for 24 hours.  

I'm reticent to say which store, because I know the thread on shag was getting lurked by whiskey flippers, and I expect this one eventually will, but it's easy for anybody who's been around shag to figure it out since most old-timers know where I live. 
This all about relationships, though, like you said. Find a store, one that's not too big and has people who actually know their business, and get to know the people there. Take their recommendations and let them know what you like.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

Thanks for all who replied earlier just been a busy week. Will reply in a couple hours or early tomorrow. But got a weird situation. I’m out on the west side, walk into a store, see George t Stagg and handy sazerac, so I ask how much cause the bottles are kind of high up. He says 59.99 and 49.99 respectively. This is a Normal liquor store tucked in a couple blocks from west side highway. This guy full of shit? Should I buy them and worry about buying fake booze for $110 later? Told him I had a thing but I’d be back In a couple hours.  Sorry for errors, walking on street and do got to get back to a work session. Do stores ever sell fake booze? Am I tempting karma in a bad way?

Edited by achooloco

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Wanted to quote this real quick, I’ve been meaning to try eh Taylor for a while and always got confused by similar titles/labels and bottles. This is very helpful, thank you. 

9 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Thanks for all who replied earlier just been a busy week. Will reply in a couple hours or early tomorrow. But got a weird situation. I’m out on the west side, walk into a store, see George t Stagg and handy sazerac, so I ask how much cause the bottles are kind of high up. He says 59.99 and 49.99 respectively. This is a Normal liquor store tucked in a couple blocks from west side highway. This guy full of shit? Should I buy them and worry about buying fake booze for $110 later? Told him I had a thing but I’d be back In a couple hours.  Sorry for errors, walking on street and do got to get back to a work session. Do stores ever sell fake booze? Am I tempting karma in a bad way?

Liquor Stores are licensed retailers. If he sold fake shit, he would be in deep doo doo. 

Considering the MSRP of both of those is $90 that seems extremely suspicious.

50 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Wanted to quote this real quick, I’ve been meaning to try eh Taylor for a while and always got confused by similar titles/labels and bottles. This is very helpful, thank you. 

The Tornado release is pretty gimmicky, but it's supposed very good.

Four Grain and Seasoned Wood battle it out for the top spot. 

• Like 1