Bourbon

Jimbaround

6 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

Tough find for me as well. It’s been at least six months since I’ve found Blanton’s in New Mexico

My most consistent Blanton's connection is a place you would NEVER expect to sell good bourbons. I agree with the posters above, it's all about forming good relationships with the people that work there. 

On 4/20/2018 at 9:25 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

LOOK AT ME POST

Stuff I bought in the last 3 weeks for MSRP:

1) WLW

2) EC18

3) Stagg

4) the white fucking whale: BIRTHDAY

Picked up a ECPB while in Tulsa. Thought I was King, until I saw this post.

Did ask a cute barista for a Handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to be getting this on the secondary market or you should be buying lottery tickets.

The reason for the trip was to go dip our bottles at Maker’s Mark. If you’re not an ambassador, you should sign up. Roughly six years later they invite you to come dip bottles once your barrel has matured.

076b9b715de3bab83fd19c0650a04cc0.jpg
2ff60df595cc4b6a4691426a458ce019.jpgc10e944bdf2ce71dc0806846bba1d896.jpg
69489f7c5da5887537f6b7521ba65fbc.jpg
fc9dcf509e3aa0797d869c50aa26b577.jpg
ec321913b89a70248ecb420d31a115ab.jpg

My barrel matures in Nov 2020. What do they sell you the bottles at?
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I picked up a bottle of McKenna and a bottle of ER last night.  I need to try them side by side.  Actually, there are several bourbons I should try side by side

I've found that if you try them long enough you'll end up on your side.

11 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I picked up a bottle of McKenna and a bottle of ER last night.  I need to try them side by side.  Actually, there are several bourbons I should try side by side

This is a good idea. I have both but haven't tasted them in succession. I shall do that soon, probably tonight.

Bought a McKenna yesterday.  $31 which is about $4 more than expected.  This was Richards Liquor on Kirby.  Everything else seemed right.  ER was $27.  Pig 10 was $78.

Also had RY10 and EHT Barrel Strength for the first time this week.  $12 and $25 at Poison Girl.  1.5 oz pours.  Both are excellent.

Need some Blanton's education.  Had some shared with me last weekend.  It had a label saying what date it was taken from Barrel No. xxxx from Warehouse "H" on Rick No.   blah, blah , blah

so is this some special deal or regular Blanton's?   It was really tasty, a touch heavier than other bourbons I've liked, but a nice flavor.

2 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

Anyone  who does a McK and ER side-by-side please post your thoughts here.  Two of my favorites but for different reasons.

I just bought both. ER wins hands down. It’s just richer and better tasting for me. The McKenna is fine, it’s just not interesting to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Could y'all recommend the best Jefferson's Bourbon for under $100 a bottle? I'm considering Jefferson's Reserve, Jefferson's Aged at Sea entry level/Single Barrel/Cask Strength, and Jefferson's Chefs Collaboration. 

Why are you limiting yourself to Jefferson’s?  I enjoyed the bottle of Chef’s Collaboration when I had a bottle a few years ago. Hated the Ocean. Would have poured it down the sink if I didn’t find a poster who wanted it. 

Edited by ERhine

10 minutes ago, ERhine said:

Why are you limiting yourself to Jefferson’s?  I enjoyed the bottle of Chef’s Collaboration when I had a bottle a few years ago. Hated the Ocean. Would have poured it down the sink if I didn’t find a poster who wanted it. 

Excellent question. Jefferson's is everywhere, reasonably priced, and I've never bought a bottle of it.  

Edited by billfromlaketravis

40 minutes ago, Smax said:

Anyone try this and if so thoughts?

foto_no_exif.jpg

It is made in Tennessee and uses the same “Lincoln County Process” as Jack Daniels. So it’s technically not a bourbon. Namesake is a famous wholesaler in late 1800s. Dickel has been making Jack Daniels style whiskey since after prohibition. So it’s cool in a historical sense. No idea about taste. 

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Could y'all recommend the best Jefferson's Bourbon for under $100 a bottle? I'm considering Jefferson's Reserve, Jefferson's Aged at Sea entry level/Single Barrel/Cask Strength, and Jefferson's Chefs Collaboration. 

Aged at Sea not worth it.  Reserve is good.  Never had the Chefs Collaboration. 

19 hours ago, bularry1 said:

Need some Blanton's education.  Had some shared with me last weekend.  It had a label saying what date it was taken from Barrel No. xxxx from Warehouse "H" on Rick No.   blah, blah , blah

so is this some special deal or regular Blanton's?   It was really tasty, a touch heavier than other bourbons I've liked, but a nice flavor.

I'm pretty sure that's all on the regular Blanton's Single Barrel as well. All Blanton's bottles are from warehouse H.

You'll know the straight from the barrel because it will be 35+ proof stronger.

On 4/21/2018 at 10:07 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

In terms of difficulty to find and expense on the secondary market, I think it's more like this.

Small Batch

Single Barrel

Straight Rye

Barrel Proof

Four Grain

Seasoned Wood

Cured Oak

Warehouse C Tornado Surviving

Sour Mash

Also, the Seasoned Wood is definitely better than the Four Grain. I'm not a huge fan of the Barrel Proof, and I love higher proof stuff. I think there are far better barrel proof options out there at better prices. The Single Barrel and Small Batch are great deals. Never had the Cured Oak, Tornado, or Sour Mash although I do have a couple bottles of the Tornado. I just haven't opened them.

The Four Grain should be coming out for a second batch within the next few weeks. Obviously you should purchase immediately if you luck into seeing it.

13 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

It is made in Tennessee and uses the same “Lincoln County Process” as Jack Daniels. So it’s technically not a bourbon. Namesake is a famous wholesaler in late 1800s. Dickel has been making Jack Daniels style whiskey since after prohibition. So it’s cool in a historical sense. No idea about taste. 

That's backwards. "Technically" all Tennessee whiskey could be labelled as bourbon, but not all Bourbon could be labelled as "Tennessee Whiskey". FWIW I like Dickel more than JD, but not enough to keep any around the house. I do have a bottle of JD Single Barrel select in the liquor cabinet of my office at work, along with some Basil Hayden.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

9 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That's backwards. "Technically" all Tennessee whiskey could be labelled as bourbon, but not all Bourbon could be labelled as "Tennessee Whiskey". FWIW I like Dickel more than JD, but not enough to keep any around the house. 

I’m dumb. What Bozo said is correct 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PappyVanVinceYoung said:

I'm pretty sure that's all on the regular Blanton's Single Barrel as well. All Blanton's bottles are from warehouse H.

You'll know the straight from the barrel because it will be 35+ proof stronger.

what's 35+ proof stronger mean?  stronger than what?  This one was 93 proof