Bourbon

Jimbaround

8 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

@billfromlaketravis what’s your opinion on still Austin cask strength??

I caught a bottle that was a little off last time. More ethanol on the nose, and more bitter on the palette. It was still pretty good. 

I’d agree with ERhine that it’s at the top of the Texas bourbons. Very impressive for a 2 year. It’s sure as hell better than Garrison Bros Balmorhea and a third of the price. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I caught a bottle that was a little off last time. More ethanol on the nose, and more bitter on the palette. It was still pretty good. 

I’d agree with ERhine that it’s at the top of the Texas bourbons. Very impressive for a 2 year. It’s sure as hell better than Garrison Bros Balmorhea and a third of the price. 

Texas bourbon is all too expensive even if a few people have figured out how to put out a somewhat above average product.

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Speaking of OGD114, can somebody post the recipe for Poor Man’s Four Grain? I know it’s basically Weller Special Reserve and OGD114, but I want you to get recipe right before I make it again. 

60%WSR

38% OGD

2% Eagle Rare

Let it sit in the bottle for a month before drinking

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RichUT said:

The 2% ER just feels unnecessarily cute. What’s 2% really going to do to the overall taste profile? I’d bet the answer is “next to nothing”.

I've had it both with and without.  It definitely adds something.  It is better with it.  I was skeptical as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RichUT said:

The 2% ER just feels unnecessarily cute. What’s 2% really going to do to the overall taste profile? I’d bet the answer is “next to nothing”.

Have you never added a pinch of salt or a dash of bitters to anything in your life? 

Alright guys, If you do facebook and haven't ever joined Someone Say Whiskey.. Now might be the time to join me and @BigDHornfan

A good friend of mine and a great member of the group (actually 4 different groups are rallying around him) had his house in Southern OK wiped off the face of the earth by a tornado on Monday. As a result SSW is doing a raffle fundraiser and has around 140 bottles donated.  A pretty epic list of bottles are available and more are being added.. 

Here's the link to donate.. and yes this is all legit. I'm going up tomorrow and sunday to help with the recovery. 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe_HLwokX-vtmZ1SyGf1kH88XSX43293JcIuFlZ7Pys4sRXJQ/viewform

Here is a pic of what remains

275509338_457422849403364_5625023459073523557_n.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, msudawg said:

Alright guys, If you do facebook and haven't ever joined Someone Say Whiskey.. Now might be the time to join me and @BigDHornfan

A good friend of mine and a great member of the group (actually 4 different groups are rallying around him) had his house in Southern OK wiped off the face of the earth by a tornado on Monday. As a result SSW is doing a raffle fundraiser and has around 140 bottles donated.  A pretty epic list of bottles are available and more are being added.. 

Here's the link to donate.. and yes this is all legit. I'm going up tomorrow and sunday to help with the recovery. 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe_HLwokX-vtmZ1SyGf1kH88XSX43293JcIuFlZ7Pys4sRXJQ/viewform

Here is a pic of what remains

275509338_457422849403364_5625023459073523557_n.png

Thanks for posting Mike.

The support from the whiskey community here has been just awe inspiring.  Close to $20,000 has already been donated.  
If you have the means, and want to help, it would be greatly appreciated.  The family impacted is such a wonderful group of people.

Here is a link to our FB group if you care to join.  Just mention Surly on the questions that pop up and I will immediately admit you.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/someonesaywhiskey

This is in Kingston OK.  Close to Texoma.

Edited by BigDHornfan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

cecc58776d1cdd817d3ed3f4e675da10.jpg
Finally got around to cracking this 031 and my first thought was “damn, there’s a lot of Beam in here… but I like it”.

So I grabbed something else that falls into that category for a little side-side, and I gotta say this is a lot like a Booker’s, but with half the bite and twice the carry.

Very interesting bottle… anyone else pick one up?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Did the same the only time I saw it on a shelf about 1.5 years ago and paid $275.

It’s such a fantastic, unique blend… let us know how you like it!

Oh I have two other bottles (batch 20 and batch 24). It may be my favorite bottle in my collection. Haven’t opened this new one yet, but probably will soon just to compare all three. 

• Like 1

Larceny is harder to find...

I'd go with Larceny BP. It's not great by any means, but pretty solid. 

Good intel. Appreciate the heads up as I’m relatively new to the bourbon game. They’ve got the bottle of Larceny (batch C921) held for me until I can go pick it up later this week. I’ve enjoyed everything I’ve started stocking up on save for the Woodford Reserve Five Malt. If I had asked before purchase back then I could’ve saved myself $130 or so on that bottle. Appreciate all the recommendations on here and frequently find myself looking for bottles that are referenced on the thread.

8 hours ago, Txslnghrns said:

021ee66cdae089338208352c89a37b53.jpg
Already have the ECBP. The ET is sazerac. Given that I was 7th in the draw do I go Larceny or knob creek? What sayeth surly?

Knob 12.  Larceny BP is kind of dumb and I’ve been using it as a mixer to kill it. 

Edited by USCATX