Bourbon

Jimbaround

11 minutes ago, Smax said:

Sometimes, there is some decent wines to be had at the store, if you go to the right one

Well, sure, but why?  Don't you have a ton of wine at home?  I only visit every year or two and I've got more wine than I can drink at home.

On 3/31/2022 at 8:07 PM, USCATX said:

That’s sounds pretty fun, but I’m not sure I could go that hard for like 3 days straight. 

Yeah, I definitely didn’t go hard the entire trip. I didn’t drink much during the days since each of the four nights was essentially the greatest bottle shares ever. 

I tasted some incredible bottles. Probably 3 or 4 different Old Carters. Red Breast 27. Several Four Gates. Plenty of BTAC. The list goes on. 

One guy brought like $15k worth of whiskey to this thing and gave pours away like it was water. It was an incredible experience that likely won’t be topped anytime soon. 

2 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Bill, that’s a fun Sagamore pick - Glad to see they’re doing more of those. They recently opened a cocktail bar at the distillery that I’ve been meaning to check out… perfect time of the year to get on the water for a cocktail!

Yeah I really enjoyed it during an impromptu tasting at Roma. The owner was either trying to get me drunk or more likely to buy out the store. I told him I liked rye, hard to find good ryes, etc… so he pulled out every rye store pick he had. 

The Sagamore was better than: 

- Whistle Pig 14 year SiB

- Barrel 14 year 

- Peerless

- Knob Creek 6 year 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 5:32 PM, BigDHornfan said:

b2dfa1208e6a8eb57474217151fc2d49.jpg
If I only had JDBP from now on, I wouldn’t complain.
This paired with my patio buddy and the Masters was the perfect Sunday.
11a0d11e6cce6877d163e423eabfe686.jpg
13f84949ff472251e53314b777fecaf9.jpg

I still haven’t had one that really blew me away, but I did have the Coy Hill (a 138.8) recently and that was a crème brûlée/brown sugar bomb.  

On 3/15/2022 at 6:25 PM, slorch said:

I kept seeing those at my local place and never could pull the trigger( skeered of cheap whiskey)

Got this instead:$41

Heaven-Hill.jpg

Son and I opened this a month ago and drank the top 3rd of the bottle.It was ok, but nothing of note.

Made a pour over ice tonight.  Dayum.  Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems so much better this time.

So when my father died, I went through his liquor cabinet and found three half-full bottled of Pappy.  Two I drank, one I gave to @Brisketexan.

Well, my mother is now packing up the house and getting ready to move.  And damned if she didn't find an unopened bottle of Pappy 20-year old somewhere.  And I'm honestly not sure what to do with it.  What kind of occasion is so special that you open that bottle for it?

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So when my father died, I went through his liquor cabinet and found three half-full bottled of Pappy.  Two I drank, one I gave to @Brisketexan.

Well, my mother is now packing up the house and getting ready to move.  And damned if she didn't find an unopened bottle of Pappy 20-year old somewhere.  And I'm honestly not sure what to do with it.  What kind of occasion is so special that you open that bottle for it?

A random Tuesday? But seriously, maybe Father's Day or your dad's birthday?

Just now, Seasick Sailor said:

A random Tuesday? But seriously, maybe Father's Day or your dad's birthday?

IIRC, we polished off one of the emptier bottles sitting around in his old man's man cave room the night after his memorial, sipping whiskey and telling stories.  I thought it was a helluva fine way to remember GOLL's dad.

4 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Sorry about your old man. He seemed like a great guy. And drink his whiskey. That’s what it’s for. Open it and savor over the course of a year and make it a good one. The occasion so special that you open that bottle is your father passing it on to you

• Hook 'Em 2

So when my father died, I went through his liquor cabinet and found three half-full bottled of Pappy.  Two I drank, one I gave to [mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention].

I would say open it, and have a drink when you think about your dad. It will keep for more than a year once opened.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Finally had this year’s Parker’s at Carversteak in Vegas, $65 but no regerts.  The staff was entirely useless when it came to bourbon.  Their AGM came over to talk to me about how they made their own Maker’s PS and to talk up their selection of single malt (?) bourbons.  

These are steep secondary but I need to track one down.  

C5C515FC-0657-41CC-A639-7283D2ECC36D.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Michter's Toasted was pretty good, but nothing special. A picked up a lot of tea notes, and it was a easy drinker. Well worth it at MSRP, but given the hype, I was expecting more. 

Having the same experience w EC Toasted Barrel. Nice, easy drinking. Wouldn’t pay more than retail. Now that I’ve tried it, may not even do that. Better options out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/17/2022 at 12:03 PM, Godzillatron said:

Is Widow Jane 15 worth $200? Visiting family, this is about the only thing I saw that might be worth grabbing at the local liquor store.

The Vaults 14 and 15 are about half as good as the all-MGP Lucky 13 single barrels which are some of the best under the radar MGPs released in the last few years.  They sat at Specs and TW for weeks like the Vaults and they’re twice as good for barely half the price. I haven’t had the new Kentucky/Indiana/Tennessee Lucky 13s and can only assume that they taste like Barrell’s gray label, which is to say ok but still too Dickel-y to pay more than $75. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 12:03 PM, Godzillatron said:

Is Widow Jane 15 worth $200? Visiting family, this is about the only thing I saw that might be worth grabbing at the local liquor store.

The Vaults 14 and 15 are about half as good as the all-MGP Lucky 13 single barrels which are some of the best under the radar MGPs released in the last few years.  They sat at Specs and TW for weeks like the Vaults and they’re twice as good for barely half the price. I haven’t had the new Kentucky/Indiana/Tennessee Lucky 13s and can only assume that they taste like Barrell’s gray label, which is to say ok but still too Dickel-y to pay more than $75. 

Well, I didn't pull the trigger, so sounds like I made the right call. On my trip home found an EC Toasted Barrel, a Larceny BP, a Peerless double oak and a Knob Hill store pick, all for MSRP or close to it. I think I came out ok.

Well, I didn't pull the trigger, so sounds like I made the right call. On my trip home found an EC Toasted Barrel, a Larceny BP, a Peerless double oak and a Knob Hill store pick, all for MSRP or close to it. I think I came out ok.

Subtle troll job on the duplicates. I like it.

Subtle troll job on the duplicates. I like it.

They’re not exactly dead to me, but I’m disappointed with Longhorn Liquor. They advertised a big drop of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof picks at their Houston area locations. If the bourbon groups are to believed, they had 9 bottles of the EC pick. There was also a Blanton’s pick, but only 18 bottles. I’m sure they received more foot traffic than normal on a Saturday morning, but this is just flat out misleading. 

36 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

They’re not exactly dead to me, but I’m disappointed with Longhorn Liquor. They advertised a big drop of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof picks at their Houston area locations. If the bourbon groups are to believed, they had 9 bottles of the EC pick. There was also a Blanton’s pick, but only 18 bottles. I’m sure they received more foot traffic than normal on a Saturday morning, but this is just flat out misleading. 

The only time I went to the one on Shepherd I was shocked at how shitty their bourbon selection was.  Premier and Village straight up laughed at it.

I havent been back.

15 minutes ago, huge said:

The only time I went to the one on Shepherd I was shocked at how shitty their bourbon selection was.  Premier and Village straight up laughed at it.

I havent been back.

The Katy location is pretty solid. This was just a shitty move to drum up a marginal amount of business.