Bourbon

Jimbaround

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You’re kidding. I was very pissed I paid $200 for it. 

When did you pay $200 for it?  I bought 3 around 2014-2015 maybe at $90 each.  Should’ve bought the whole fucking rack when I had the chance.  I liked the bottle I drank and gave one to my dad.  Had no idea this stuff was so out of control now.

4 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Did some rearranging and found this at the back of a shelf.
Pre Saz ET.
Hell yea
4c9316156c844243e6b10bb371380a02.jpg

You have forgotten more about bourbon than I will ever know.  Keep looking...I wouldn’t be surprised if you stumble find a WLW you forgot was there.  Not exactly the same, I know, but my point still stands.  

• Haha 1

C1560723-24E8-43DA-81F6-F3F3CBC4AD76.thumb.jpeg.a31e460c0744bb127a69ed915efb269a.jpeg727F54DF-8F2E-49F1-864F-43BF911943C5.thumb.jpeg.5ffc528974bdf0281d09539d3669ed02.jpeg9C9EBCBA-CAFB-4CBE-A2FB-64E88B753836.thumb.jpeg.d873883533b5d974a5ae9271f8dfa7e6.jpeg

Good, not great on my first impressions. Beats the shit out of regular Elijah Craig, but not as good as any ECBP release. The Roma Liquor pick is definitely superior with an extra year in the barrel and a higher proof. I guess because of their size, Spec’s had to take the 9 year old barrels under 130 proof. 

All that said, I’d buy a couple extra bottles.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Rouxpour in Houston is pretty solid. Kind of what Whiskey Cake once was. Reasonably priced pours of stuff you usually can’t buy. The food is pretty good. I had a pour of Hancock’s Reserve for $12. 

You can order a flight of Pappy Lot B, WLW, and Handy for $55. That is extraordinarily  reasonable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Rouxpour in Houston is pretty solid. Kind of what Whiskey Cake once was. Reasonably priced pours of stuff you usually can’t buy. The food is pretty good. I had a pour of Hancock’s Reserve for $12. 

You can order a flight of Pappy Lot B, WLW, and Handy for $55. That is extraordinarily  reasonable. 

86 the Pappy and Lot B and get a triple WLW and Handy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

86 the Pappy and Lot B and get a triple WLW and Handy

Yeah I’d probably go double WLW, and one Handy. 

They keep the WLW and the Handy in the back. Don’t take no for an answer. 

It is pick 3, so yeah you could triple down on WLW. 3 pours of WLW for $55 is absurd right now. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 2

Yeah I’d probably go double WLW, and one Handy. 

They keep the WLW and the Handy in the back. Don’t take no for an answer. 

It is pick 3, so yeah you could triple down on WLW. 3 pours of WLW for $55 is absurd right now. 

Yeah, that’s insane… would probably be there every week.

so here's a random question - is there anything fun or interesting that can be done with my empties?

after i finished an elmer last year, the wife liked the bottle so she put some pampas in it and put it on the patio.  since then, she has encouraged me to not throw away empties of some of the cooler looking bottles, so that she can do more diy shit or whatever, who knows.

she likes to procrastinate and i like to finish bottles and now i'm starting to look like a dirtbag alcoholic because i got 12-15 empty bourbon bottles in the corner of the room, and more on the way.

i've seen a glass cutter that turns empty wine bottles into cool glasses, but not sure if this would work the same way.  pretty soon i'm gonna have to throw them out one by one like andy in the yard at shawshank so that my neighbors don't see.  they're judgy and love to gossip.

• Like 1

so here's a random question - is there anything fun or interesting that can be done with my empties?
after i finished an elmer last year, the wife liked the bottle so she put some pampas in it and put it on the patio.  since then, she has encouraged me to not throw away empties of some of the cooler looking bottles, so that she can do more diy shit or whatever, who knows.
she likes to procrastinate and i like to finish bottles and now i'm starting to look like a dirtbag alcoholic because i got 12-15 empty bourbon bottles in the corner of the room, and more on the way.
i've seen a glass cutter that turns empty wine bottles into cool glasses, but not sure if this would work the same way.  pretty soon i'm gonna have to throw them out one by one like andy in the yard at shawshank so that my neighbors don't see.  they're judgy and love to gossip.

People make candles, glasses, lamps, and all kinds of shit with bottles. Some of it is pretty cool

17 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Mexican place by my house has empty Patron bottles stuffed with Xmas lights as their hanging lighting.  Probably 100 of them crisscrossed throughout the dining area.

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

Molotov cocktails if you happen to be in Ukraine

On 6/10/2022 at 7:54 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

C1560723-24E8-43DA-81F6-F3F3CBC4AD76.thumb.jpeg.a31e460c0744bb127a69ed915efb269a.jpeg727F54DF-8F2E-49F1-864F-43BF911943C5.thumb.jpeg.5ffc528974bdf0281d09539d3669ed02.jpeg9C9EBCBA-CAFB-4CBE-A2FB-64E88B753836.thumb.jpeg.d873883533b5d974a5ae9271f8dfa7e6.jpeg

Good, not great on my first impressions. Beats the shit out of regular Elijah Craig, but not as good as any ECBP release. The Roma Liquor pick is definitely superior with an extra year in the barrel and a higher proof. I guess because of their size, Spec’s had to take the 9 year old barrels under 130 proof. 

Consider this my usual reiteration about single barrel releases almost never being better than good blends. And FTR I’m a full blown EC Stan.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Kinda hate to trash up this thread, but Jack Daniels has had a major product announcement!

They're only about 50 years behind Jim Beam Cola.

Jack & Cola has been a thing for a long time. https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/ready-to-drink/whiskey-cocktails/whiskey-cola-soda-seltzer/jack-daniels-whiskey-cola/p/227093355

Spoiler alert: it sucks.

On 6/10/2022 at 6:54 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Got one tonight. My guy said he tired the 130 last night and it was too hot. 

I’m intrigued by the Nulu and love that Old Fitz 14. The JD rye just didn’t do it for me tho.  

Totally fair - I’ve been looking for 2 years and finally found one at a decent price so I guess we’ll see.

The Nulu (Killer Queen - Chattanooga Firefighters) is really interesting. Nose is a complex blend, forward palette is heavy on the brandy, backend is softened with some spice.

Fun mix up… could be with some ice cream, but good enough on its own, especially on a big rock on a hot night.

We came home last night around 10:30 and I was like “I’ll just have a night cap while I wait for the kid to come home.” 

By 1:30 a half bottle of Elijah Craig was gone, the kid had been been home and asleep for over an hour and I accidentally watched Road to Perdition. 
Woke up at 6:45 feeling bright eyed, made coffee, and had the lawn mower going at 8. Thank you bourbon!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1