Bourbon

Jimbaround

14 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

This was a great start to 3 days in KY.
320792c63ba281d903224c9d4b3de289.jpg
Tomorrow doing a barrel pick at Four Roses and having dinner with Freddie in Frankfurt.
Hitting Heaven Hill on Friday.

you magnificent bastard 

Is the TABC ever going to crack down on liquor store employees who have these secret group texts about special drops? 

Haha. How would they even go about cracking down on something like that? Any time you can buy something for a nickel and sell it for a dime or a quarter, this stuff is going to happen.

2 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Haha. How would they even go about cracking down on something like that? Any time you can buy something for a nickel and sell it for a dime or a quarter, this stuff is going to happen.

Virginia is going after people selling access to group chats for rare drops. 

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/virginia-abc-rare-bourbon-bust-july-18-2022

And it won’t do anything to fix the problem. It’s honestly a waste of time and taxpayer dollars. The people that can “fix” this are the distilleries (raise prices) or the consumers (stop letting FOMO lead to paying secondary), and neither of those are going to happen.

3 hours ago, RichUT said:

They're going to need to infiltrate these groups.  Maybe years undercover drinking bourbon reimbursed by TABC, making connections, and drinking bourbon.

Made an impromptu Saturday night trip to 7 Grand this weekend and splurged on a pour of Widow Jane 10-year..... Had to look it up this morning after bc the bartender suggested it, and it was top-shelf, but my immediate thought was that it's smooth but I couldn't taste shit but a fuckton of wood/barrel. It's very well rated online, so maybe I'm not a man of culture and taste like I thought. Should've stuck to Weller 12 or maybe Eagle Rare for the pour. Also had a cigar going, so maybe that killed any lighter flavors that might've come through.

5 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

Made an impromptu Saturday night trip to 7 Grand this weekend and splurged on a pour of Widow Jane 10-year..... Had to look it up this morning after bc the bartender suggested it, and it was top-shelf, but my immediate thought was that it's smooth but I couldn't taste shit but a fuckton of wood/barrel. It's very well rated online, so maybe I'm not a man of culture and taste like I thought. Should've stuck to Weller 12 or maybe Eagle Rare for the pour. Also had a cigar going, so maybe that killed any lighter flavors that might've come through.

Widow Jane 10 year was originally sourced from MPG, hence the good reviews. 10 year MPG is good shit. 

Aged MGP dried up, and so they started sourcing from other places in KY, IN, and TN. So look on the back of the bottle you get. If it says distilled in KY, it's probably Bartons. If TN, it's probably dickel. If IN, probably MGP. 

It did open in 2012, so maybe some of their own shit is 10 years old now. 

On 7/15/2022 at 1:35 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

A drink of water in the desert:

2812BE0F-45BA-4CE7-9DF6-3FB45D0647A0.thumb.jpeg.7c1cb59932140bcc81228bd24a408bbf.jpeg

I've been drinking a lot of lower proof stuff as I ease back into my stash, and Eagle Rare at retail price is one of the best bottles around. 10 year Buffalo Trace for 30ish bucks? Fucking delicious. 

EDIT: BigDHornfan, I did not see your post above before I described ER as "fucking delicious". I guess that's just what we say with good bourbon. Cheers. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 7/25/2022 at 9:36 AM, BurdineBandit said:

It’s pretty decent, but the Lucky 13 MGP bottles sitting on the shelf last year at $105 blow it out the water.  

I think I’ve had one whiskey since June 1. Just haven’t had the time or it’s been too fucking hot or I’ve been too fucking tired or all the above. Got my ass kicked at work for two days straight, now home for 24hours and probably gone again for at least the next 3. Killing the last few drops of the JD Sib BP that BigD helped pick out and it is fucking spectacular.

3 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I think I’ve had one whiskey since June 1. Just haven’t had the time or it’s been too fucking hot or I’ve been too fucking tired or all the above. Got my ass kicked at work for two days straight, now home for 24hours and probably gone again for at least the next 3. Killing the last few drops of the JD Sib BP that BigD helped pick out and it is fucking spectacular.

Well you got a bottle from the 2nd barrel we picked that day coming to you on Saturday.  :)

On 7/20/2022 at 8:19 PM, BigDHornfan said:

This was a great start to 3 days in KY.
320792c63ba281d903224c9d4b3de289.jpg
Tomorrow doing a barrel pick at Four Roses and having dinner with Freddie in Frankfurt.
Hitting Heaven Hill on Friday.

You, sir, are a penis.  I would snatch this bottle from your grubby paws and run off with it like a thief in the night.

• Like 2

You’re doing God’s work right now.

Alright whiskey nerds, I’m spending ten days in Louisville in September for back to back music festivals. I don’t think I’ve ever set foot in the state. Which distillery tours should we prioritize during the week, and what should I try and come home with?

My taste runs to the wheaters, with Weller 12 and Antique being my go tos before they got impossible to find. Also enjoy Eagle Rare, 4R, OF 1910, New Riff, 1792 FP. Blanton’s Gold and WLW are probably my all timers.

Tours:
Makers
Buffalo Trace
Bardstown Bourbon Co.

Tastings:
Heaven Hill
Willett
Four Roses

The rest you can just hit the gift shops.

Definitely try to get a bottle yourself Fort Nelson Bourbon at Michter's. 
You have better luck finding allocated bottles in Texas than you do in KY, unless you want to pay secondary pricing at small mom and pop stores.

Book tours now, they go quick.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2