Bourbon

Jimbaround

Aren’t you in the Denver area? Everytime I’m in town for work I go to Argonaut and the Applejack’s in Wheat Ridge and they’re flush with it and a bunch of other stuff that’s not allocated but still hard for us to come by here in Texas 
Yeah, but opposite side of town. Not worth the drive to me.

Hit about 10 different stores looking for EWSiB. After reading on here that it was going away I felt I had to look around and see if I couldn’t find any remaining bottles. No luck so far. It was always one of my faves. If I wanted to throw it on some Coke (which is super rare) I didn’t have a problem with using it since it was so damn cheap and flavorful. I did pick up an old Ezra 7.
aee85f5e8e492e9d27788a087569fb06.jpg
Never had it before so going into this one blindly. I’ve read decent things about it. Only paid $55 for it and don’t feel that was too high. I do have a question regarding something called Very Olde St Nick. Saw this bottle for $150. Is this worth the price of admission?

f7e9b1f06c4defe812b822e385ef7f76.png

4 minutes ago, Txslnghrns said:

Hit about 10 different stores looking for EWSiB. After reading on here that it was going away I felt I had to look around and see if I couldn’t find any remaining bottles. No luck so far. It was always one of my faves. If I wanted to throw it on some Coke (which is super rare) I didn’t have a problem with using it since it was so damn cheap and flavorful. I did pick up an old Ezra 7.
aee85f5e8e492e9d27788a087569fb06.jpg
Never had it before so going into this one blindly. I’ve read decent things about it. Only paid $55 for it and don’t feel that was too high. I do have a question regarding something called Very Olde St Nick. Saw this bottle for $150. Is this worth the price of admission?

That OE 7 is very good.  Saw some for $27 up in Alaska this summer and grabbed it, had to be some kind of pricing mistake.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

That’s where I’ve been for the last 6-8 months. I sold north of $15k worth on the secondary market and I haven’t gone looking for anything in as long if not longer. I’ll wander down the bourbon aisle occasionally, but I’ve bought almost exclusively club picks and tequila since the start of the year. Maybe in a couple years it will come back down, but I don’t give it a second thought anymore.

same here except for the tequila.

On 8/8/2022 at 6:16 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I heard a horrible rumor that I fear is true. Evan Williams SiB is now Kentucky only. 

8  6 bottles left at my local haunt today. $31 apiece.

Sometimes there are benefits to being in a slower market without all of the vultures.

I've enjoyed this bottle for the spend since I started getting into bourbon in general. Saw your comment yesterday and I was a bit sad.  Smiles today though...

My buying (outside of picks) has plummeted in the last 6 months. I’ll still splurge every now and then when I find a “good deal” but I’m mostly just enjoying what I have at this point.

When we move back to Austin I’ll prob slim down to 100 bottles or so, stock up in Kentucky on the way and just keep drinking the stock since we won’t have a bar at the new crib.

It’s been a fun ride, but shit needs to calm down and I’m happy to focus on barrel picks if someone like BigD will have me.

• Like 2

Went out for dinner tonight. On the way back saw a small liquor store. Told my wife I was just gonna run in real quick to see about EWSiB. Literally was gonna be my last stop ever and just hold onto the memories. Lo and behold…..
003b0c98b67ca553b88d46a4365ea7b5.jpg
(I do not currently have it on a turbo boil.)

I was getting ready to check out and saw a pikesville behind the counter. $80. But….Never had it. May have overpaid but now I have a bottle. Going blind on a lot lately.

0ea33cca185b30517cd9719a15295b5b.jpg

Gonna take a couple snorts while I watch preseason football.

• Like 1

Went out for dinner tonight. On the way back saw a small liquor store. Told my wife I was just gonna run in real quick to see about EWSiB. Literally was gonna be my last stop ever and just hold onto the memories. Lo and behold…..
003b0c98b67ca553b88d46a4365ea7b5.jpg
(I do not currently have it on a turbo boil.)

I was getting ready to check out and saw a pikesville behind the counter. $80. But….Never had it. May have overpaid but now I have a bottle. Going blind on a lot lately.

0ea33cca185b30517cd9719a15295b5b.jpg

Gonna take a couple snorts while I watch preseason football.

You overpaid a bit for Pikesville but it is a good, hard to find bottle. Enjoy!

11 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

My buying (outside of picks) has plummeted in the last 6 months. I’ll still splurge every now and then when I find a “good deal” but I’m mostly just enjoying what I have at this point.

When we move back to Austin I’ll prob slim down to 100 bottles or so, stock up in Kentucky on the way and just keep drinking the stock since we won’t have a bar at the new crib.

It’s been a fun ride, but shit needs to calm down and I’m happy to focus on barrel picks if someone like BigD will have me.

When’s the big move? Better load up on Bowman and Sagamore.

Boys, we have a winner…

Anyone with the nerve and the bottles to try the recipe upthread should do so.

Strong notes of cardamom, white pepper and saddle leather give way to more subtle ones of honey and licorice. What lingers is tobacco and a clean, consistent burn.

I wouldn’t really liken it to the Cask Bowman, which is much more fortified, but it maintains that profile while being something entirely different.

252987ab39aba468b2dc359ab91f4e2c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

44088dce20a57886eabf4e16f418b0e9.jpg

This guy is getting dangerously low. Haven’t had much brown water lately as it’s just been too damn hot. Rain this afternoon and it’s perfect weather on the porch to burn a stick and watch the deer come to the feeder. I believe Bill was raving about this one and I would have to concur it’s quite tasty. Not much of a Makers fan but if I could find another one of these it wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all. Good oak flavor but not so overpowering that you miss out on the other flavors ( I get vanilla and a smidge of tobacco).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

44088dce20a57886eabf4e16f418b0e9.jpg

This guy is getting dangerously low. Haven’t had much brown water lately as it’s just been too damn hot. Rain this afternoon and it’s perfect weather on the porch to burn a stick and watch the deer come to the feeder. I believe Bill was raving about this one and I would have to concur it’s quite tasty. Not much of a Makers fan but if I could find another one of these it wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all. Good oak flavor but not so overpowering that you miss out on the other flavors ( I get vanilla and a smidge of tobacco).

Almost certainly the best Maker’s I’ve tasted. I’m down to one bottle. 

I remember it moved fast when it was first released. There were second and third waves, and then it was kind of a reliable shelver for the second half of last year. I bought a lot, should have bought more. 

• Hook 'Em 1

so every year we do our fantasy football draft in vegas during week 1 nfl weekend.  draft sat, watch sunday.  for about 15 years. 

starting last year, i reached out to a couple stores in vegas about 2 months before, explaining that i had a trip coming up (true) involving a bunch of texas people (true) who were all big bourbon junkies (eh) and i needed a special bottle (true).  last year i got a weller full proof (2x retail) and a stagg jr (at msrp).

this year, i reached out to my la contacts too, and here's how it's going so far. 

image.thumb.jpeg.47cc41cbfd460d60bc41c4ed7283b97e.jpeg

nothing yet from my 2 vegas stores, but they got time.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so every year we do our fantasy football draft in vegas during week 1 nfl weekend.  draft sat, watch sunday.  for about 15 years. 

starting last year, i reached out to a couple stores in vegas about 2 months before, explaining that i had a trip coming up (true) involving a bunch of texas people (true) who were all big bourbon junkies (eh) and i needed a special bottle (true).  last year i got a weller full proof (2x retail) and a stagg jr (at msrp).

this year, i reached out to my la contacts too, and here's how it's going so far. 

image.thumb.jpeg.47cc41cbfd460d60bc41c4ed7283b97e.jpeg

nothing yet from my 2 vegas stores, but they got time.

Congratulations on being FX’s The League. Which Duplass Bro are you? 

Finally found some bottles that I wanted. Will always grab the Willet as backup, but the other two are Big Bang-Buck contenders.

The Stellum at $38 comes off like something in the $65-80 range and is VERY approachable. The 4 Grain is probably the most cost effective representation of that method widely available and is damn good.

167b914dc2da6f1fc48c38b8e800868f.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 1:27 PM, Party_Taco said:

Finally found some bottles that I wanted. Will always grab the Willet as backup, but the other two are Big Bang-Buck contenders.

The Stellum at $38 comes off like something in the $65-80 range and is VERY approachable. The 4 Grain is probably the most cost effective representation of that method widely available and is damn good.

167b914dc2da6f1fc48c38b8e800868f.jpg

Is the Stellum a store pick?

I don't know to feel about Penelope. I liked the Texas Toasted, but it wasn't a $60 bottle. They could have charged $100 and people would have paid it, so maybe $60 is reasonable. 

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

Jesus Christ.
Complete OFC vertical.
$999k
2114618395362f917591f54ee65e9017.jpg
OFBB Vertical
$32k
82ab2c33a0277f8e04aab2708db02445.jpg

So that’s the shelving you need to store OFBB.  But he went 6 in a row, 6 again, then 5, then 4.  Clearly he should have gone 6,6,5,5.  Don’t trust him now, would not buy. 

10 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

Great regret of mine was not buying the OFC I saw at goody goody at retail a year or so ago. 

I passed at one at GG as well.  My reason was, I have had OFC and it wasn't that great IMO and I always told my GG hookup that anything he ever sold me I wouldn't flip.  If I had bought the OFC, I wouldn't do anything but flip it.  So I kept my word and passed on it.  
Damn I miss that hookup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

I passed at one at GG as well.  My reason was, I have had OFC and it wasn't that great IMO and I always told my GG hookup that anything he ever sold me I wouldn't flip.  If I had bought the OFC, I wouldn't do anything but flip it.  So I kept my word and passed on it.  
Damn I miss that hookup.

isn’t retail still like $3k? 

Saw Weller 12 on the shelf today in Austin. Guy wanted $199 for it. Then he told me $175 since I was "buying something else". 

I passed.

Rumor on the bourbon groups is that CYPB is dropping soon. Some in Dallas dropped in the last day or two. 

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 1

A coworker was in Louisville last week. He was offered all of the Blanton’s letters with identical dump dates for $2500. Some stores up there are selling them as “sets”. He said he was seriously considering it. Probably the stupidest shit I’ve ever heard, but the guy was having a rough day so I just listened politely. 

• Like 1

I revisited the Spec’s Sazerac store pick. It has been a banger. I put a hurting on a bottle on Sunday, I’ll probably kill it tonight. 

I bought two bottles during the December 2021 drop. I assume it came from a couple barrels. I guess I caught a less desirable barrel/bottle on the first go around.

There has been a few Buffalo Trace picks this year, but I wish they did more. Don’t waste my time with MGP picks I don’t give a shit about. 

• Like 1

Got a diff store pick of the same thing I think. 7 yr mgp? Delicious. Also, Found some TL store pick makers and love them. Especially for $50 on the $ sale

This one isn’t MGP.
It’s from Tennessee but it’s not charcoal filtered like JD. Not sure what distillery it’s from, but it’s one in the Tennessee Distillers Guild.