Bourbon

Jimbaround

I don’t know, either.  I’ve spent the last four year trying to seduce Raju at OLC and all I have to show for it is a bunch of EH Taylor.  

Lol
I don’t know, either.  I’ve spent the last four year trying to seduce Raju at OLC and all I have to show for it is a bunch of EH Taylor.  

we should hang out

More of a rye question than a bourbon question here.  I've been trying to add Manhattans to my cocktail rotation so that I'm not always drinking old fashioneds and margs.  I've been using Carpano Antica Formula for my vermouth and so far I've tried Sazerac, Whistlepig 10, and EH Taylor Rye as my ryes.  I thought Whistlepig tasted the best for the Manhattan.  What is everyone's favorite combo when you make yours?  I'm more interested in trying more ryes since I can always just drink them straight unlike the vermouth.  Ideally, it would be something fairly easy to find since I'm not going to be on any frequent buyer lists at this point.    

11 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

More of a rye question than a bourbon question here.  I've been trying to add Manhattans to my cocktail rotation so that I'm not always drinking old fashioneds and margs.  I've been using Carpano Antica Formula for my vermouth and so far I've tried Sazerac, Whistlepig 10, and EH Taylor Rye as my ryes.  I thought Whistlepig tasted the best for the Manhattan.  What is everyone's favorite combo when you make yours?  I'm more interested in trying more ryes since I can always just drink them straight unlike the vermouth.  Ideally, it would be something fairly easy to find since I'm not going to be on any frequent buyer lists at this point.    

Pikesville

Dude tries every combo of 7 bourbons and 6 vermouths…

Rittenhouse, Pikesville, Sazerac.

Little Book peaked at 3. Unless you work at the distillery, probably the one and only chance to taste Basil Hayden's at barrel proof. It also contained 11 year old Booker's. The Anniversay Editions are nearly impossible to find. I only bought 2 bottles. In hindsight, I would have bought two cases. 

I have one bottle left. It's not my most valuable bottle, but it's one of my favorites. The best beam product I've ever tasted. That includes Booker's 30th. 

Here's the blend : 

IMG_8796.JPG.jpg?strip=all&lossy=1&resize=512%2C768&ssl=1

• Like 1

bill’s Little Book takes always confuse the fuck outta me. For sure some are better than others, but all 6 are very good and I don’t get the hang ups over the age trends. They are unique expressions that showcase an ability to blend components whose total exceeds the sum of their parts. I’d never pass one up at retail.

10 minutes ago, RichUT said:

bill’s Little Book takes always confuse the fuck outta me. For sure some are better than others, but all 6 are very good and I don’t get the hang ups over the age trends. They are unique expressions that showcase an ability to blend components whose total exceeds the sum of their parts. I’d never pass one up at retail.

To each his own. It's hard to get around young product, and they trapped themselves in an annual release. Wait a few years until you have 7-8 year old aggregate product for market. 

I liked Little Book 4, but I didn't like it at $125. The first ingredient is 4 year old brown rice bourbon. They sell 375's of 11 year old Jim Beam Brown Rice Bourbon for $40. Do they not have enough 11 year product to throw it in Little Book 4? It's just bush league stuff like this that frustrates me with Beam. I skipped the Books after 4, and I just look for the 375s of Jim Beam Signature. 

I will say they have the marketing/packaging dialed in. Most people love waxed dipped bourbon in a wood box. Booker's and Little Book fly off the shelf. 

On a little Texas whiskey/bourbon kick

Just tried the garrison brothers small batch and was a big fan (not of the price of course)

I’m thinking my next move is to try Balcones single malt and Treaty Oak Ghost Hill

Any other recommendations or feedback would be appreciated, thanks

2 hours ago, PDX_Horn said:

On a little Texas whiskey/bourbon kick

Just tried the garrison brothers small batch and was a big fan (not of the price of course)

I’m thinking my next move is to try Balcones single malt and Treaty Oak Ghost Hill

Any other recommendations or feedback would be appreciated, thanks

Still Austin Cask Strength. It’s good and priced sort of OK. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Here to report that Redwood Empire Rye Batch 2 is pretty nice, especially if you like farmhouse ryes.

I'm going to have to try the other whiskies in their line.  Lost Monarch at $30 outpunches a lot of bottles costing 2 or even 3 times that amount.  I'm not sure that there's anything else costing $30 or less that I like better.   

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/17/2022 at 8:51 PM, Party_Taco said:

Clearing out the bar in advance of the move and said goodbye to some good friends this weekend…

f7bdf793961cdb5278f9d9f6eb563e6b.jpg

My bar is nearly empty because of an upcoming cross country move.  Haven’t bought anything in months.  Nothing crazy good, but the wife is aware that I’ve spent nothing on brown water the last 3-4 months,  and that will be changing once we get settled.

• Like 1

I’m an OOSer up in western KS but my go to liquor store here in town has started putting some random allocated bottles out every Wednesday. The last 3 weeks I’ve found 2 Blanton’s and a W12, all under $70. I hope no one catches on to their social media posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 10/18/2022 at 6:30 PM, BigDHornfan said:

725df29a3fb21698460959e055b53f08.jpg

It’s better than OF 100,
Not picking up any mesquite flavor.
If anything it’s a bit sweeter than OF 100.
I wouldn’t pay what it’s going for secondary, but I’m not disappointed in paying $60 for it.

Got one. If it’s not good, I will blame you. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Haha 1