Bourbon

Jimbaround

My bar is nearly empty because of an upcoming cross country move.  Haven’t bought anything in months.  Nothing crazy good, but the wife is aware that I’ve spent nothing on brown water the last 3-4 months,  and that will be changing once we get settled.

Was abiding by the same but couldn’t help myself tonight… figure I’ll find some room SOMEWHERE in the truck.

19a3d2996703999f583aee23296d9ce1.jpg

e1fdd264de0efb566afbe90fdb1244d7.jpg

Meh. And maybe the world’s most annoying bottle

It has its uses…

I hope Buzzrock’s 9/80 Friday is tomorrow.

Do y’all really want couch pics of a bottle BigD just photographed?

King Ranch ia interesting. It kind of reminds of Gentleman Jack, but at 105 proof. It’s not $70 good, but probably worth picking up a bottle. I’ll get another for Rodeo season. Good packaging and it’s mild enough to impress people that don’t know shit about bourbon. 

King Ranch is fine, better than Long Branch and Elijah Craig Toasted, but not as good as Woodford DO or 1920.  Definitely no shame in buying a bottle and drinking it out of your F-series out at the deer lease.  And at least it’s not shaming the great state of Texas like Balcones Rye. 

On 10/20/2022 at 9:00 PM, Buzzrock said:

Last one since it’s a school night. Cheap stuff.

d39feb7b01f55b3999b53cc5c686047c.jpg

Not too bad for the price

My first Benchmark experience was at Cheba Hut just north of campus about a month ago.  Their happy hour starts at 4:20 (lol) and offered 1/2 price beers and $1 Benchmark shots.  Obviously not the single barrel but it was good enough to sip (but don't spend too much time savoring it).  Introduced some kids to the idea that you don't have to shoot trash when drinking hard liquor.

I'll try the single barrel.  I'm glad this thread isn't all about high dollar stuff (which is great of course but not always necessary).

1 hour ago, brownboy said:

My first Benchmark experience was at Cheba Hut just north of campus about a month ago.  Their happy hour starts at 4:20 (lol) and offered 1/2 price beers and $1 Benchmark shots.  Obviously not the single barrel but it was good enough to sip (but don't spend too much time savoring it).  Introduced some kids to the idea that you don't have to shoot trash when drinking hard liquor.

I'll try the single barrel.  I'm glad this thread isn't all about high dollar stuff (which is great of course but not always necessary).

Username checks out. 

That's a pretty good deal. I see there's Cheba Hut in Houston now. 

Eight Row Flint once served a shot of Wild Turkey 101 and a High Life longneck for $3. I think it's now a shot of Jim Beam Black and a 8 oz High Life for $5. Good things never last. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, veritas aequitas said:

The fun for me is finding the cheap stuff that is as good or better than the high dollar stuff. 

Early Times is the category champ in that area for me.  It won a 15 bottle blind one of our groups did against some pretty heavy hitters.

2 hours ago, veritas aequitas said:

The fun for me is finding the cheap stuff that is as good or better than the high dollar stuff. 

Early Times is the category champ in that area for me.  It won a 15 bottle blind one of our groups did against some pretty heavy hitters.

Went with the Barrell store pick. First Barrell product I’ve ever gotten. Also got the Still Austin store pick. Opened the Barrell and letting it breathe right now.

04a307ac28ed09947854ccb42c81c7dc.jpg

I have a store pick barrel similar to that and really like it. But I definitely liked it more after it had a chance open up.

How is the total wine austin pick? I have one from abc liquor and love it. It’s almost gone and I’ve been thinking about picking up another

On 10/22/2022 at 4:10 PM, USCATX said:

For the sake of context, would be interested in knowing what some of the heavy hitters were.

In the meantime, I guess I'll have to try ET, which for whatever reason I had consigned to the same category as Old Crow, Ancient Age, and some other "bottom shelf" bottles that didn't agree with me.  And if I don't like it, it becomes a mixing bottle when entertaining.    

25 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

truer words have never been spoken.  Wise county sucks ass.

I can’t tell you how many times I have been to Decatur, but I can tell you that whatever that number is, it is exactly the same number as the number of times I’ve driven to Colorado from Dallas.