Bourbon

Jimbaround

12 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Spoken like someone that’s never been through Clyde. Makes Decatur look like Malibu. 

Little Mexican place right off of the interstate exceeded my low expectations.  That’s my one Clyde experience.  My uncle was born and is buried in Brownfield. There’s small and rural, and then there’s trashy.   Decatur is trashy.  Brownfield is just sad.

On 10/4/2022 at 7:16 PM, Buzzrock said:

That 1783 is good stuff IMO, a worthy replacement.

I’m trying 1783 this weekend. I have abused my bottom shelf lately. It’s to the point where I need to buy Early Times BiB on weekly runs. Hopefully 1783 is worthy of joining it on the shelf. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Picked up a ‘22 OFBB today to round out my display today.  

We also poured a Blanton’s and an ER10 Twin’s store pick for the trick or treat parents tonight and they absolutely killed the ER.  It’s always a good dose of reality to meet people who say they like whiskey but have never heard of Eagle Rare.  

4A5F1099-F27C-422C-896A-8F1471934823.jpeg

Edited by USCATX
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Picked up a ‘22 OFBB today to round out my display today.  

We also poured a Blanton’s and an ER10 Twin’s store pick for the trick or treat parents tonight and they absolutely killed the ER.  It’s always a good dose of reality to meet people who say they like whiskey but have never heard of Eagle Rare.  
4A5F1099-F27C-422C-896A-8F1471934823.thumb.jpeg.4919413c7bb7a390e0f0e890788ac2b2.jpeg

What did they ask you to mix the ER with?

You’re a nice guy USC, starting noobs off with a ER store pick.

I guess you can take this stuff for granted. I gave my neighbor at work a bottle of Ezra 7 Barrel Strength and he almost started crying. I just gave it to him because I didn’t feel like buying a gift. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

3 hours ago, burns_312 said:

What’s this worth?
befe875fadb9b9092af4b4de4ff12ef9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if your curiosity is based on "worth", it's worth more sealed than opened.  it's a $45 bottle that has a secondary price around $250 (based on most recent unicorn auction).  not many bottles have a 5-6x secondary bump, so if you want to treat it as an asset, it's worth more unopened.

it's a good representation of buffalo trace's mashbill 2, just like blanton's and others.  some think it's a little "thin" and i'm inclined to agree with them.  i prefer bt kosher rye recipe (if you can find it) and blanton's (again, if you can find it). 

i finished my last elmer over a year ago once i had replaced it with a new bottle.  i have not yet opened the "new" bottle.  same reason i won't open my weller 12 - it's worth more unopened and you never know.

i'm not sure how it would stack up against an eagle rare or buffalo trace store pick in a blind, but my guess is they would all taste about the same.  if you're one to keep bottles as trophies to make your shelf look good, keep it unopened.

edit to add - if you got this for $54, you should make friends with whomever runs spirits at that store, exchange cell numbers if possible, and try to get a heads up whenever allocated bottles come through.  relationships are everything.

Edited by henrygandorf
  • Hook 'Em 2

if your curiosity is based on "worth", it's worth more sealed than opened.  it's a $45 bottle that has a secondary price around $250 (based on most recent unicorn auction).  not many bottles have a 5-6x secondary bump, so if you want to treat it as an asset, it's worth more unopened.
it's a good representation of buffalo trace's mashbill 2, just like blanton's and others.  some think it's a little "thin" and i'm inclined to agree with them.  i prefer bt kosher rye recipe (if you can find it) and blanton's (again, if you can find it). 
i finished my last elmer over a year ago once i had replaced it with a new bottle.  i have not yet opened the "new" bottle.  same reason i won't open my weller 12 - it's worth more unopened and you never know.
i'm not sure how it would stack up against an eagle rare or buffalo trace store pick in a blind, but my guess is they would all taste about the same.  if you're one to keep bottles as trophies to make your shelf look good, keep it unopened.
edit to add - if you got this for $54, you should make friends with whomever runs spirits at that store, exchange cell numbers if possible, and try to get a heads up whenever allocated bottles come through.  relationships are everything.

Appreciate the insight. I’ve got 2 bottles of Blanton’s and one W12 from the same store over the past 2 months, none of which I’ve opened yet and all under $70.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, burns_312 said:

Appreciate the insight. I’ve got 2 bottles of Blanton’s and one W12 from the same store over the past 2 months, none of which I’ve opened yet and all under $70.

make friends with them, show your appreciation, bring a small gift if you think it would help.  i assume it's a mom and pop store?  there are no rules there.  you could literally just hand them cash and say thanks.

make friends with them, show your appreciation, bring a small gift if you think it would help.  i assume it's a mom and pop store?  there are no rules there.  you could literally just hand them cash and say thanks.

It’s a small store, yes. I live in KS. I’ve made it a point to buy one of their store picks they’re promoting each time they sell me something I’m after. I may just give away, but it’s worth it.

1 hour ago, burns_312 said:

I paid $54 so I’d be taking too big a hit. Thanks for your offer though.

I’ve never seen it in the wild nor had it, so didn’t know what it was supposed to run. What I paid felt fair to try it.

There are five main expressions of Buffalo Trace Mashbill #2 available in the United States. 

One is a very decent blended well bourbon - Ancient Age. 

The other four, from lowest to highest by ABV are consistently excellent single barrels - Hancock's Reserve, Blanton's, Elmer T Lee, and Rock Hill Farms.

Mashbill #2 is distilled by Buffalo Trace but probably owned by a Japanese Company called Takara Shuzo Ltd through Age International, and they send most of the best stuff back to Japan, so the last three are quite hard to find.  Blanton's gets the greatest marketing push here, and they make more of it than the others. In my opinion  Rock Hill Farms is by far the best of the four, and Elmer T Lee is a bit better than Blanton's but they are close. That said, virtually no bourbon is worth secondary prices to me because there's just too much good bourbon on the market to pay more than MSRP. 

So - the upshot is that $54 is an excellent price for an elite and truly very scarce single barrel bourbon that doesn't get more attention primarily because of marketing choices but is highly respected by people who know what they are drinking. More importantly, you didn't pay ridiculous secondary prices and and got it in the wild, as it should be.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

There are five main expressions of Buffalo Trace Mashbill #2 available in the United States. 
The other four, from lowest to highest by ABV are consistently excellent single barrels - Hancock's Reserve, Blanton's, Elmer T Lee, and Rock Hill Farms.
Mashbill #2 is distilled by Buffalo Trace but probably owned by a Japanese Company called Takara Shuzo Ltd through Age International, and they send most of the best stuff back to Japan, so the last three are quite hard to find.  Blanton's gets the greatest marketing push here, and they make more of it than the others. In my opinion  Rock Hill Farms is by far the best of the four, and Elmer T Lee is a bit better than Blanton's but they are close. That said, virtually no bourbon is worth secondary prices to me because there's just too much good bourbon on the market to pay more than MSRP. 
So - the upshot is that $54 is an excellent price for an elite and truly very scarce single barrel bourbon that doesn't get more attention primarily because of marketing choices but is highly respected by people who know what they are drinking. More importantly, you didn't pay ridiculous secondary prices and and got it in the wild, as it should be.

Great info, thanks.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

As always, the Japanese - Buffalo Trace angle is interesting . Good refresher. 

I’d rank Hancock’s third because I enjoy it more than Blanton’s. Rock Hill over ETL because of the proof. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

As always, the Japanese - Buffalo Trace angle is interesting . Good refresher. 

I’d rank Hancock’s third because I enjoy it more than Blanton’s. Rock Hill over ETL because of the proof. 

Same here for the same reasons, but for me because the flavor and mouthfeel are slightly richer. As @henrygandorf points out the others are just a bit thin.

to add on, and it can be difficult to find depending on where you're located, but john j bowman single barrel is a really nice comparable flavor profile at 100 proof, which is right where you want it to be.  as long as i can find bt kosher, john j sib, and eagle rare, i will keep other stuff sealed and give blanton's as gifts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

to add on, and it can be difficult to find depending on where you're located, but john j bowman single barrel is a really nice comparable flavor profile at 100 proof, which is right where you want it to be.  as long as i can find bt kosher, john j sib, and eagle rare, i will keep other stuff sealed and give blanton's as gifts. 

I’ve never seen Kosher in the wild. I guess Houston doesn’t get many bottles. 

Bowman SiB usually lasts about a week on the shelf. Gotta load up when you see it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Balcones bought out by Diageo. Shouldn't be surprised but I kind of am. Still a fan of their stuff.

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/beverage-giant-buys-waco-based-balcones-distilling/article_09586d0e-5aed-11ed-ab0a-0b2b686c39d4.html

is Chip Tate making anything or is he waiting out a non compete? anyone know what the deal is there?