Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 11/26/2022 at 6:54 PM, BigDHornfan said:

They had 2 a couple of weeks ago, this was the only one in the case yesterday.  But check Boos.  maybe they had more in the back.

Went to boos. That dudes prices are all over the place. Got a rrpb for $81 though. Win

2 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

Went to boos. That dudes prices are all over the place. Got a rrpb for $81 though. Win

yea, some prices were normal, some fucked.  only reason I grabbed that m10 rye for what he was charging is because it was under what its going for secondary but it was more than retail.

On 11/28/2022 at 10:56 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Yay or nah, on this: 

23B24C7A-8198-4893-9763-12EC08269E10.thumb.png.b676acd5753cea566e0da181b63bad79.png

They gave no information in the description as to where it was sourced from. 

Opened last night.  It is ok.  Good nose and finish but a little medicinal undertone.  Will let it sit for a bit and try again.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

Whats a good trade for a eht bp? I have some good bottles but not that one. 

JD Coy Hill or Four Roses SmBLE with a kicker, younger Old Fitz or good Stagg Jr picks straight up, or if you have a Stagg/THH/Birthday you could trade down for that EHTBP plus another nice bottle or two.  

30 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Either of these worth getting, what say you Surly?

20221209_184054.thumb.jpg.cdb50fb30e84ff28a3144b4ec705fa9e.jpg

There's a lot of love on this board for both of those bottles, and those prices are perfectly reasonable.  I personally don't love the 1897 or the 1920 as much as many seem to.  I prefer the 1910. 

But buy one or both, try 'em, and see what you think.  Part of the fun is trying different bourbons and ryes, and figuring out what tastes good to you.  Cheers!  

Edited by Carl Spackler
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Had two of the 1920 tonight in a steakhouse. I really wasn’t impressed, glad I tried it out and about before I bought a bottle. 

im not a huge high ABV fan though, prefer the smoother bourbons that don’t have a lot of bite, not sure mine is a fair review. I like to drink mine neat and don’t want anything harsh.  I do like W12, Blantons and Basil Hayden for a reference. YMMV.

Edited by RMac5
  • Hook 'Em 1

RIP to the rye I measure all other rye by. This will crush lesser Thomas Handy years, many MGP Old Scouts and you can still grab one around $350 secondary.  Batch 2 is also pretty good and you still see those on the shelf here and there or about $275 secondary.  I don’t think these ever recovered from being a $115 rye when that was unheard of and it’s kept the value down permanently.  

382C3E6E-F0DB-4094-80EA-41F27D5F391D.jpeg

11 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

There are some twins picks willet purple tops out there and they’ve been alluding me. I’m still trying to find my way into the right groups to get to try some of these amazing bottles that come and go.

My guy just texts me a spelling quiz on something easy like “eluding” and then I go pick up the bottles at retail.  Easy peasy.  

25E4EBB5-73EB-4E4A-B2E9-ED786E560DCC.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

My guy just texts me a spelling quiz on something easy like “eluding” and then I go pick up the bottles at retail.  Easy peasy.  
25E4EBB5-73EB-4E4A-B2E9-ED786E560DCC.thumb.jpeg.706e60e29b988ef002206b1717dde919.jpeg

It was a subtle reference to a post a couple before mine….

I liked it quite a bit, but I already found a couple bottles of BRT-01. -02 had alluded me. 

Im glad it caught your eye!
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

It was a subtle reference to a post a couple before mine….

Im glad it caught your eye!

Didn’t realize we were giving Bill hell, carry on.  But back on groups, they don’t really help find bottles like this.  It’s more of a spend tons of money and get bottles at retail or buy them at secondary game.  Either way you are paying.  

Yeah I’m enjoying it. If you’re not a fan of the spicier/oaky profile you might want to stay away given the $250 price tag. 

I have a high rye 10yr Mgp redemption that is pretty spicy and was $90, and I don’t think I like it much. That’s good advice on the Rebecca creek. Some more cowboy bourbon just dropped. Tempted to buy bc I love it but it’s so expensive at $243 after tax. I think I may just need to recalibrate how much I’m willing to pay if I want stuff. I may just need to accept $250-$300 for a weller FP or StaggJr
  • Hook 'Em 1