Bourbon

Jimbaround

2 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

We did a club pick of that last year and it was really good.

Bill needs to stop listening to Minnick and form his own opinions.

Minnick has nothing to do with it. Their 12-15 year old BiB release a few years back sucked shit. The infamous vitamin bottle. That brand is completely dead to me. And I’m not touching Dickel 17 at $252. 

We always say on here drink what you like and screw the noise. I don’t like Dickel. Period. 

2 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

We did a club pick of that last year and it was really good.

Bill needs to stop listening to Minnick and form his own opinions.

Not sure how yours was, but this was like an oaky crème brûlée in a bottle.  Crazy good mouth feel for a bourbon in the mid 90s proof that I don’t think you could find unless it was barrel proof.  No standing in line and no regerts on this one. 

On 12/28/2022 at 12:36 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I heard a mixed bag on the Houston campers last year. First in line showed up at at 4pm the day before. I believe it was pretty cold night, and there are a shit ton of homeless people roaming Midtown Houston late at night. Even with a police presence and a ton of witnesses, it's really risky. I'd wait at least until dawn when the homeless go back to their hovels. I think most would rather pay secondary than take a stab wound to the gut. 

I believe first in line in 2021 received a bottle of Pappy 23. The next four received Sazerac 18. I heard recently that Mr. Pappy 23 was pinched by the TABC selling the bottle in the Spec's parking lot. I buy it. If you're stupid enough to camp out in Midtown Houston overnight, you're probably stupid enough to be one of five people in Texas busted by the TABC every year. 

These people camping out are morons.  Go find a homeless guy or three.  Give them $100 each, let them camp for you.  One, you'll get what you want if you're really that desperate, and more importantly, number 2, you'll really piss off these dbags camping there.  

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

These people camping out are morons.  Go find a homeless guy or three.  Give them $100 each, let them camp for you.  One, you'll get what you want if you're really that desperate, and more importantly, number 2, you'll really piss off these dbags camping there.  

I like it Doc, but the homeless aren't the reliable folks out there. 

TaskRabbit actually has people that will wait in line for you. $16-17 an hour seems to be the going rate. 

edit : The earliest you can book a Tasker is 8 am. That's not going to help much. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I like it Doc, but the homeless aren't the reliable folks out there. 

TaskRabbit actually has people that will wait in line for you. $16-17 an hour seems to be the going rate. 

edit : The earliest you can book a Tasker is 8 am. That's not going to help much. 

Yes, there's better ways but these people enjoy that shit.  Someone above said it...who the fuck shits on their own time like that?  Different strokes for different folks...indeed. 

I was at the Smith Street store at 10:30 to pick up something else. From what I saw the early folks were getting EHT Barrel Proof, EC store pick (I think), Hancock, Weller Full Proof, Stagg Jr, Four Roses SiB, and a few others that escape me right now. The early folks were leaving with about a dozen bottles.

Drop thoughts: 

- What a miserable 12 hours. Texas loses. I get blackout drunk after on a Dandy BT pick. Go to sleep. My line guy bails at 4am. I sleep in and knock out a honey do list and scoot up to Spec's at 930am. Park in a very sketchy spot at the Walgreens with City of Houston and tow trucks circling the block. In line by 947. I moved about 100 feet by 11. The guy in front of me walked the store, and I asked him : What are we going to get when it's our turn? His response : A baby Blanton's and a BT pick. Prophetic. 

- The line moved much slower than last year because Spec's insisted on people in the bourbon line must have a cart. No cart. No bourbon. So the number of people in the store is dependent on many carts are on hand. People leaving the store had to walk 3-4 blocks and return their cart. That can take 15 minutes. Some brought it back, others didn't, a diminishing return on carts. Multiple by that about a 1000 people and you get a very slow moving line. Maybe 20 people in the store every 5-10 minutes. Very regarded, very Spec's. 

- Last year there was no line by 11 am. This year people were in line well past 2 pm. Horrible mismanagement. 

- I get home and open Facebook. Idiots are gloating that they waited 17 hours for Purple Tops. Awesome for you. 

I'm done. I'll continue to shop at Spec's to get calls, but I won't participate in this annual drop bullshit. 

What a sad turn of events. The last two weeks for Christmas could be counted for pretty good drops of Weller, and Four Roses picks. Now you have to wait in line for 48 hours to get something of note. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis