Bourbon

Jimbaround

3 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Wait a minute...you pay someone to wait in line for you, you show up 15 min before opening and bitch about how it went?
Holy shit.  wow.

Plenty of people got there at 7 am didn’t get shit. 

Also do you think letting 20 people in the store every 10 minutes is reasonable?

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I don’t begrudge anybody waiting in that line, but (humble brag) I have all those bottles open and most with backups other than Saz rye (prefer 95/5 and EHT Rye) and Bowman.

But man, if my boys were about 5 years older I would have absolutely paid them to sit in that line and wreck shop with my card. 

• Like 1

I agree about the cart thing. It did slow the line down a lot waiting for people to get the carts returned. Especially the early people, they bought a lot more bottles because there was better selection and so had to take the carts to the car. The later people where I was were generally leaving their carts at the door and walking the boxes to their car.

I missed the Stagg and weller FP by probably 20 people, or maybe 45 min of arrival time, which would have made a big difference to me since I haven’t been able to get either of those all year.

26 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Don’t begrudge any of you who chose to do so, but the math just didn’t work out for me.

I don’t begrudge them either, but when they insist upon themselves  I will absolutely mock and belittle anyone that crows about what they “scored” by standing/living like a homeless person for 48-72 hours. Sort of a tell me you don’t earn shit for income and your time isn’t worth shit without telling you don’t earn shit for income and your time isn’t worth shit kind of thing.

And then you have people like our resident swamp rat william that think whiskey is some sort of status symbol and flaunt their latest “find” at every turn and feel the need to have the newest and shiniest. They might be worse than the secondary flippers. 

good thing I now have him on ignore so I’m not subjected to more dipshittery than I can tolerate. @BigDHornfan meets that quota every fuckin day 

Edited by Herbie Hancock

If you need something inoffensive and military-oriented for a gift, this is actually pretty solid.  My BIL got it for me (he’s the military guy, not me) and it’s very crushable with kind of a young Eagle Rare vibe to it.  I had to google the source to find out it was Middle West spirits and it was good enough to make me want to try some of their older and higher proof options.  This one is mainly lacking in mouth feel which is pretty watery and thin. 

Oh, and I’ve aged better than Josh Heupel and my bourbon collection is vast.  What a time to be alive. 

D1734850-D444-448D-BF61-73EB059A9E40.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but I’ll just say that I love the product and abhor so much about how the process to get some of it has evolved. And I absolutely believe every asshole that got in line at any point before the store was open is to blame for a big part of that. The collecting, hoarding, and gloating is cringe worthy. I’ve been guilty of it myself in the past but I’m done with that shit.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Spec’s Midtown Houston has plenty of Russell’s Reserve, BT, and Baby Saz picks.

They also have a Four Gate pick that’s 7 years old, 120+ proof. It’s allegedly contract distilled by Four Roses, but at $229 it was too rich for my blood. 

I definitely see the flipper element to it. People that enjoy bourbon and rye shouldn’t be passing on BT and Baby Saz picks for $30. 

• Like 1

I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but I’ll just say that I love the product and abhor so much about how the process to get some of it has evolved. And I absolutely believe every asshole that got in line at any point before the store was open is to blame for a big part of that. The collecting, hoarding, and gloating is cringe worthy. I’ve been guilty of it myself in the past but I’m done with that shit.

That is how I feel at this point. I gave away about 20 bottles of relatively hard to find stuff to friends over Christmas - I travel a fair amount and can find things that others cannot, but rather than hoard I’d rather share the wealth. My new year resolution is to drink and enjoy what I have, and not worry about what I don’t.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

That is how I feel at this point. I gave away about 20 bottles of relatively hard to find stuff to friends over Christmas - I travel a fair amount and can find things that others cannot, but rather than hoard I’d rather share the wealth. My new year resolution is to drink and enjoy what I have, and not worry about what I don’t.

I’m doing the same thing in 2023.
Only things I’m planning on buying are club picks my club releases.
I don’t hunt anymore or chase anything.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

My last pour of 2022.
Figured I would end it with the best one I got this year.
And that’s the 1969 National Championship team on the football. Players and coaches.
My best friend gave it to me today for Christmas. Fucking amazing.
14926aa562b8d986513395e2e91530bf.jpg

Never thought about it before, but in 1969/70, people signed their autographs where you could actually read it.  Very cool sports memento.  

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

USC, any suggestions for tracking down a Master’s Keep? 

That and Woodford Reserve Batch Proof have proven quite elusive for me. 

Like everything else they’ve gotten really hard to find.  I picked the Decades up on clearance at Spec’s for $88 and the 17 yr BiB by asking for it at Twin. Last year my main store saved me the One and this year I had to trade for the Unforgotten.  TW seems to tons of them but I don’t have status or hookups there.  

Spec’s Midtown Houston has plenty of Russell’s Reserve, BT, and Baby Saz picks.
They also have a Four Gate pick that’s 7 years old, 120+ proof. It’s allegedly contract distilled by Four Roses, but at $229 it was too rich for my blood. 

I definitely see the flipper element to it. People that enjoy bourbon and rye shouldn’t be passing on BT and Baby Saz picks for $30. 

The BT pic for $30 is very good. Only thing is it sort of vanishes in the finish for me.

The owa107 pic is really great. Never had a regular owa so I can’t compare.

The angels envy pick is a lot better than the regular lower proof stuff, but very sweet on the finish.

The bowman pick was a steal for $30

29 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

The BT pic for $30 is very good. Only thing is it sort of vanishes in the finish for me.

The owa107 pic is really great. Never had a regular owa so I can’t compare.

The angels envy pick is a lot better than the regular lower proof stuff, but very sweet on the finish.

The bowman pick was a steal for $30

Was the Bowman pick a single barrel? That is a good deal, it’s usually $40-45. 

Spec’s Antique picks are really good. They remind me of the old twist tops. The new gold corks have a clovey funk in my opinion. Still good, but the Spec’s pick don’t have a clove note. I like to use the gold corks when I blend Poor Man’s Pappy. The picks should be enjoyed on their own. 

Was the Bowman pick a single barrel? That is a good deal, it’s usually $40-45. 

Spec’s Antique picks are really good. They remind me of the old twist tops. The new gold corks have a clovey funk in my opinion. Still good, but the Spec’s pick don’t have a clove note. I like to use the gold corks when I blend Poor Man’s Pappy. The picks should be enjoyed on their own. 

c28f0c921c3222884fda55bcc760b2eb.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

BiB, Unforgotten, and One I have yet to find anywhere in DFW under $400. 

You can always order some 12/101 from one of the euro sites if you want some cool Turkey that isn’t available commonly in the states. Grab a few to save on shipping and trade them for other bottles you can’t find. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, huge said:

Neighbor in Houston went to midtown at 6am.

Here was his haul:

212f0c432c02db8972e0965545c58e81.jpg

They took a gallon of Bloody Mary and had an ok time. They were a group of 3.

BMMV

Those are all great bottles for somebody  just getting serious.  Maybe a little heavy on BT products, but no complaints.  I’m a little ambivalent about that Kosher rye bourbon, but the Kosher Straight Rye is a banger. 

On 12/31/2022 at 7:52 PM, BigDHornfan said:

I’m doing the same thing in 2023.
Only things I’m planning on buying are club picks my club releases.
I don’t hunt anymore or chase anything.

In total agreement. I value my free time too much to hunt bottles.  Grabbed a few good ones over the holidays just wandering in stores when I was otherwise nearby. I’ve worked down my inventory over the last couple years and in a. good place to pick up interesting bottles I stumble onto or just continue working on what’s at the house. 

Remus 6 x 2 at retail

Larceny C922 x 2 with about 30% markup 

Cigar Blend at retail

2030E50F-13E7-4DD4-A059-17320D1A554F.jpeg

• Like 1