Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 4/5/2018 at 7:19 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Probably pulling it too early because of demand.  I haven't had any I'd call hot garbage though, especially at that price point.  I have been noticing that Bulleit (orange label) has been drinking smoother lately. 

Maybe hot garbage is a little harsh, but I've been drinking the stuff since it was $20-25 bucks and always on the shelf. Now it's $30+ almost everywhere and declining in quality IMO. Just about everybody I talk bourbon with has had a similar experience. Granted, I haven't touched the stuff in over 6 months. Maybe it was just a quality control issue and localized with the batch that showed up here. I don't know. 

Dumb Question Amnesty
Anyone ever bought a bottle on the secondary market? Bottle Spot?

I just can’t bring myself to do it yet. Hunting bottles at retail is a lot of fun for me.
Only ones I think I’d be willing to do secondary on are WLW or ER17. And right now I like money too much to pull the trigger on those.

On 4/6/2018 at 2:45 PM, Anastasis said:

@staboner Only had a small pour mixed with coke zero.

I kid. I get this characteristic balcones oily astringency that I pick up across a lot of their stuff (I don't know if that is the "proper" term, but I've used it to describe something i get in the bourbon as well). Loved it with a few drops of water. But I am a self professed Balcones fanboi.   

This was Bee Cave Galleria. I burn my recipes when I walk out of the store, but I want to say this came in @$35 and there was a lot on the shelf (and blue corn bourbon in the case at front, or that may have been specs down the road, either way saw plenty on shelve recently).  It appears to me that Balcones has really ramped up their production. I remember when single malt was scarce, but that shit is everywhere all the time, and apparently they just laid up a huge batch of the rye as well. 

got two bottles from the Twins at Hancock

yes, i hear you. it has that balcones taste. its good. not my fav, but good. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tailleur17 said:

Speaking of BSM, is Lot B even close to worth 450? I’ve never got to try anything Pappy but just curious.

Absolutely not worth $450! Blantons and W12 are better and easier to find and would set you back $100 combined.

My wife asked me the other day what I have spent on Bourbon the last year and I got curious...worked out an excel spreadsheet and I've got 29 different Bourbons for a total of 54 bottles I've bought over the last year.   Total of $2400.   Told my wife $500.   

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

My wife asked me the other day what I have spent on Bourbon the last year and I got curious...worked out an excel spreadsheet and I've got 29 different Bourbons for a total of 54 bottles I've bought over the last year.   Total of $2400.   Told my wife $500.   

Standard haircut.  That math works the same when it comes to gambling losses.

Thanks guys re: lot B. Just making sure I’m not missing anything.

Enjoying some OWA right now. Thinking about making some poor man’s pappy with W12 but man I really like OWA.

b2826e80fb4fe744acdae263bb5911d9.jpg

I love the OWA and the W12 by themselves, but PMP made with them is great stuff.
I’ve done several batches the last year and the best one was one I let sit in my small barrel for about 3 weeks.

33 minutes ago, milkman said:

Looking for some info on these two bottles I received as a gift a few years back. Haven’t found much of anything doing an internet search.c44b66745694408dc4cb91d4c85b2b8c.jpg3cba438f46a24464de6f0c904f4effc9.jpg3c4f627b91a70b6b11c4211041a0d857.jpg0b547c384789814587281ac993f2902a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solid bottles you have there milkman!  If you’re ever considering trading one, give me a shout.

Looking for some info on these two bottles I received as a gift a few years back. Haven’t found much of anything doing an internet search.c44b66745694408dc4cb91d4c85b2b8c.jpg3cba438f46a24464de6f0c904f4effc9.jpg3c4f627b91a70b6b11c4211041a0d857.jpg0b547c384789814587281ac993f2902a.jpg

You have much better friends than me. Both are really good. I mean terrible. Hand them over.

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/wild-turkey-tribute-8509

The irony of this whiskey is that it tastes so good even though the master distiller didn't know exactly what he was making when he set out to concoct it and was working within an age range that he would normally deem inappropriate for Bourbon.

When Wild Turkey asked the venerable Jimmy Russell to create a limited-edition, 15-year-old Bourbon, he thought the intention was to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the parent company Austin, Nichols, an event that comes in 2005. Actually, the management was surreptitiously asking Russell to create a "Tribute" to his own 50th anniversary at the distillery this year. This meant keeping the commemorative bottling a secret from a man who misses very little that goes on in his plant. Somehow the sleight of hand occurred and the result is a handsome bottle in a sort of scroll-case wooden package that extols the virtues of the modest Russell.

Better than the package, however, is the whiskey inside, which leads us to the other paradox: Russell's philosophy of Bourbon holds that eight to 10 years is the optimal age. Resting inside new charred-oak barrels during sweltering Kentucky summers, Bourbon matures much faster than it would in Scotland's chillier climes and the used barrels employed there. Fifteen years in Kentucky can have the maturation effect of 45 somewhere else. In the wrong hands, it might produce a taste that Russell likens to "taking a stick of white oak and chewing on it." But the distiller started with barrels already deemed worthy of extra age for the 10-year-old Russell's Reserve and coaxed an extra five years out of them through careful wood management that included moving the casks to cooler parts of the warehouse in their dotage. The result is a dark whiskey that hits the nose with elegant maple sugar, licorice and leather charms on a florid base. Then it opens up on the palette with a bold sweetness that bespeaks hard candy and Christmas pudding accompanied by vanilla, caramel and nuts. The finish holds the sweetness for minutes on the tip of the tongue and then slowly transforms, melting to the back of the mouth with the spice and leather from its bouquet resurging. In short, it's another complex Bourbon experience from Wild Turkey.

Russell explains that only with a handful of barrels is it possible to create a Bourbon both that old and exquisite. Hence the supply of Tribute, which sells for about $90, is limited to 5,500 bottles in the United States. Happily for us, Russell creates Wild Turkey in many other less exclusive versions for daily consumption. [\spoiler]

Wild Turkey Tribute

Edited by Jimbaround