Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 3/30/2018 at 2:37 PM, 'stache said:

Treated a friend to happy hour last night at a trendy cocktail bar and found out that they have George T Stagg for $25 a pour.  Never seen it in town so couldn't pass it up.  Man, there's a lot bombarding the palette.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was worth the cost.

That's about what I used to pay for a fifth of Crown Royal Bourbon Mash (to go with a sack of tacos from El Pollo Loco), must be a hell of a good shot...

On 4/11/2018 at 7:24 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

I had some Thomas Handy Sazerac and William Larue Weller last night at the JW Marriott Hill Country, put it on the Underhill’s tab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the THS at Vic & Anthonys last night. Wish I could find a bottle.

I picked up some of the non-special release single barrel bourbons on here after reading through this thread. I'm pretty much a noob other than a strong familiarity with Blanton's and Woodford Reserve. Figured I would use the expertise here to try to find good quality bourbons without going for the ultra rare releases and/or paying top dollar.

Everything poured neat or with an ice cube.

Russell's Reserve Single Barrel - My favorite so far of the four. I think I've had the Russell's Rye before as well and I remember enjoying that one.

Four Roses Single Barrel - Really good and punches higher than its price class.

McKenna - Compared to the previous two the taste was a little flat, like there wasn't as much going on. Wasn't a huge fan.

Larceny - This seems really good for the $24 or whatever I paid for it at Total Wine. I tasted a little smoke and peat in this like hints of scotch.

All in all, good recommendations everybody. I will continue to observe and use the recommendations from this thread.

12 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Not exactly on topic, but I will be in Japan for 2 weeks starting next week. Plan on sampling Japanese whiskey, but am totally ignorant. Any suggestions, or do i need a new thread?

You might dig around on Distiller, Barreled, or Whiskey Suggest to learn a little more about the Japanese whiskey.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I picked up some of the non-special release single barrel bourbons on here after reading through this thread. I'm pretty much a noob other than a strong familiarity with Blanton's and Woodford Reserve. Figured I would use the expertise here to try to find good quality bourbons without going for the ultra rare releases and/or paying top dollar.

Everything poured neat or with an ice cube.

Russell's Reserve Single Barrel - My favorite so far of the four. I think I've had the Russell's Rye before as well and I remember enjoying that one.

Four Roses Single Barrel - Really good and punches higher than its price class.

McKenna - Compared to the previous two the taste was a little flat, like there wasn't as much going on. Wasn't a huge fan.

Larceny - This seems really good for the $24 or whatever I paid for it at Total Wine. I tasted a little smoke and peat in this like hints of scotch.

All in all, good recommendations everybody. I will continue to observe and use the recommendations from this thread.

Try Old Forester 1920.

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

I started tasting single barrel bourbons with bottles of Evan Williams.  You can find several different versions and they all taste slightly different.  For $25-30 bottle, it might be worth a try.

evan_williams_bourbon_single_barrel_vint

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Not exactly on topic, but I will be in Japan for 2 weeks starting next week. Plan on sampling Japanese whiskey, but am totally ignorant. Any suggestions, or do i need a new thread?

I've only tried the Hakushu 12 and I like it a lot.  It's much more akin to scotch than bourbon.

fullsizeoutput_2636_large.jpeg?v=1491437

• Like 1

So is Taylor Four Grain a literal ghost? Even on online auction pages it seems absent.

Had it at a couple of bars ( easy tiger had it for $12 a pour ). It’s very tasty. There was supposed to be another drop in March but haven’t seen it pop up in any crotch shots.

it became stupidly overpriced on 2ndary at nearly 400/bottle when it was named whiskey of the year of 2017. not worth that price at all. on a side note i did finally have EHT barrel proof tonight at a bar and fell in love to the point i may pay 2ndary prices bc i can’t find it in stores.

I've been hearing a rumor that Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare are gonna go wholesale only in Texas, which will make it even harder to find in liquor stores. Sort of explains why it's been sold out at every liquor store I've gone to looking for it in the last 4 months. I fucking hate when bars and restaurants buy up all the good shit and leave the retail market stuck with Jack and Jim swill. Soon I'll be forced to pay $10 for a pour of Buffalo Trace because they'll be calling it top-shelf since you cant find it in liquor stores anymore.

I've been hearing a rumor that Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare are gonna go wholesale only in Texas, which will make it even harder to find in liquor stores. Sort of explains why it's been sold out at every liquor store I've gone to looking for it in the last 4 months. I fucking hate when bars and restaurants buy up all the good shit and leave the retail market stuck with Jack and Jim swill. Soon I'll be forced to pay $10 for a pour of Buffalo Trace because they'll be calling it top-shelf since you cant find it in liquor stores anymore.

That same rumor seems to go around every year. Heard it last year.

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It’s good tho

My first hangover, sophomore year of HS,  Me and my best bud, 1 case of Budweiser, and a fifth of Cuttysark scotch.  

Never sicker in my life. I swore if I died quickly or I survived, I'd never touch a drop again (of Scotch I didn't say).  The smell of scotch alone can cause a gag reflux sometimes.

I have had some scotches I like, they've all been lowland, non peaty scotches that drank like a bourbon.

Brought some scotch back from Ireland last year St. Patricks. It was aged in bourbon barrels, good stuff, didn't last long.

I hear you- the first time I ever got REALLY drunk was my sophomore year in high School. I was playing some game and took down about a dozen shots of my pals parents’ White Label in something like a half hour. I wound up so seriously ill my dad told me he figured the experience was punishment enough. I didn’t enjoy scotch until I was in my late 30s.

29 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I hear you- the first time I ever got REALLY drunk was my sophomore year in high School. I was playing some game and took down about a dozen shots of my pals parents’ White Label in something like a half hour. I wound up so seriously ill my dad told me he figured the experience was punishment enough. I didn’t enjoy scotch until I was in my late 30s.

A good way to cure your kids of drinking early. Put elm in a closet with a bottle of scotch and a 5 gallon bucket. Don't let em out till its gone (and not poured in the bucket). 

6 hours ago, Biscuits And Groovy said:

Have you only been to one liquor store?  People keep claiming Eagle Rare is hard to find on here.  I see it all the time.  Buffalo Trace is even easier to locate.