[SERIOUS] The I need help, my house is freezing thread

immamac

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Just got turned on (hey-o) after 58 hours.  Propane heat but electric blowers, so it's 55 F cold in here.  Low on propane, because my delivery guy bailed.  Low on firewood, because my delivery guy bailed.

My life has been one giant optimization problem for the last 58 hours.  Wife wasn't happy that I said I was shutting down the furnace once we hit 60 F.  Oh well, put on another coat.  Yeesh.

Good peeps on this site.  I have plenty of pantry food along with a freezer full of frozen protein (chicken, beef, a little pork), but we're stuck in our neighborhood, so I don't know how you could get to us, but if you can, come get food.  2222 & 360 area.

Dang I have firewood I could give you but all routes between you and me (Lakeline Mall area) are not good.  If you were at 222 & 620 I could do it.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Dang I have firewood I could give you but all routes between you and me (Lakeline Mall area) are not good.  If you were at 222 & 620 I could do it.

Thanks man, I think we'll be good.  One thing my family learned is that we can sleep in a 55 F house no problem.  Just pile on the blankets.

I mean, even shitty Cub Scout campouts dropped below 40 F.  I really didn't get what all the bitching was about.  (My family, not people who truly had it bad.)

• Hook 'Em 4

Is there any reason I can’t hook up my septic tank to a generator?  My biggest problem right now is my septic hasn’t pumped out for 2 days and I’m worried we could backflow at some point soon. I would have to rig up a cable from an old extension cable to the breakers in the septic box (turning off the main service panel breaker and unhooking that line of course). Just wondering if there’s something I’m missing. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Thanks man, I think we'll be good.  One thing my family learned is that we can sleep in a 55 F house no problem.  Just pile on the blankets.

I mean, even shitty Cub Scout campouts dropped below 40 F.  I really didn't get what all the bitching was about.  (My family, not people who truly had it bad.)

so...wrong thread, jimbo.

2 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

Is there any reason I can’t hook up my septic tank to a generator?  My biggest problem right now is my septic hasn’t pumped out for 2 days and I’m worried we could backflow at some point soon. I would have to rig up a cable from an old extension cable to the breakers in the septic box (turning off the main service panel breaker and unhooking that line of course). Just wondering if there’s something I’m missing. 

In lieu of a full transfer switch, see if you can find a generator breaker  interlock device for your breaker panel.  It is a mechanical interlock that only allows you to switch on a breaker back fed from a generator once the main breaker is off and vise versa.  The interlock, input receptacle, back feed breaker and cable can be had for probably less than $250 if you are competent in basic electrical work.   Roll the genny out, connect a cable, through the main and let her rip.  Small 3kw genset will run most winter time loads in an emergency situation.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Some pain to touch on elbow, but mostly just discomfort and limited motion at elbow and wrist.  No noticeable swelling.  No obvious broken bones.  I can wiggle fingers and make weak fist.  Rotation is very very limited, but all range has improved slightly throughout the day.  I made a sling from a t-shirt, and happened to have a wrist splint.  Would have a neighbor drive me to urgent care  if it's open, but don't want to risk a longer drive nor take up valuable hospital ER resources unless things worsen.  Call and message to primary care for advice have gone unreturned. 

From your description, You’ve got some time to keep in sling and seek care this weekend as long as you have nerve and circulation intact into the hand. If there is a break you can spare a few days if no break in skin from bone and no major nerve or circulation damage.

• Hook 'Em 7

10 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

From your description, You’ve got some time to keep in sling and seek care this weekend as long as you have nerve and circulation intact into the hand. If there is a break you can spare a few days if no break in skin from bone and no major nerve or circulation damage.

Thank you so much for sharing your expertise.  Nerve and circulation are fine so far as long as I don't rest my inner elbow on a hard surface or over-tighten the wrist splint.

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone know the grocery situation in 78738?  Going to attempt to venture out tomorrow as we’re pretty much on chicken and rice for every meal at this point.  We’ve got potable water if anyone needs.

Most importantly, any liquor stores around 78738/34 open?  We’re down to triple sec and two bottles of screwball.

2 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

And of course the second I ask that power comes on finally. 61 hours of no power. So far no issues that I can find. House got down to 58. Spray foam is worth every penny. 

We were down 58 hours, and temp dropped from 65 F to 55 F over that time.  It pretty much stayed at 55 F for a day or more.  

We paid to have "extra" energy conservation design features when we built the house in 2015, and I guess it worked.  I doubt it was a monetary win, but when your entire family is bitching about 55 F, then the idea of 50 F or below suddenly has value.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If anybody in central/south/west Austin had a beat On firewood tomorrow, please let me know.  And yes going faster than I thought to keep the girls warm.  I have plenty of downed limbs to chop, but it’s way too saturated.  Happy to four wheel it but need specific locations for timing sake.  Thanks y’all!

58 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We were down 58 hours, and temp dropped from 65 F to 55 F over that time.  It pretty much stayed at 55 F for a day or more.  

We paid to have "extra" energy conservation design features when we built the house in 2015, and I guess it worked.  I doubt it was a monetary win, but when your entire family is bitching about 55 F, then the idea of 50 F or below suddenly has value.

Yea, we stayed above 60 until last night. The solar loading during the day Monday and Tuesday helped keep the temp up in the house The cloud cover today really sucked. We still have power 5 hours later, so maybe we will be able to get the house back up to temp before we get caught up in the rolling blackout stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

And of course the second I ask that power comes on finally. 61 hours of no power. So far no issues that I can find. House got down to 58. Spray foam is worth every penny. 

We are on hour 16 with spray foam and immediately battened down the hatches when power went off. Blankets over the doors, towels at the bottom to block any drafts. Also have a gas fireplace going, so just hit 65. If we can stay above 60 I’ll be happy. 

Not sure how this isn’t in the national news, let alone the texas news but there is a giant fucking wreck on 35 south in Jarrell. @immamac is currently stuck in it. The shit isn’t moving, he’s been stuck for damn near 5 hours and now the roads are iced over completely. Things won’t un freeze there till Friday at this point. This definitely needs attention, there’s a TON of people completely stuck with no way out. Try to get as many eyes on this as possible. There are a lot of people in dire need right now especially as people run out of gas..

F3EFF83F-7F73-426E-A5A7-4C4CE9026F81.png

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, troph said:

What the fuck really?

It’s absolutely insane from what he’s been telling me. Probably enough gas currently to keep them warm for 12 hours but who knows what happens after that and other cars won’t be that lucky which will make the roads even worse, it won’t get above freezing till Friday..this needs news attention ASAP

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

It’s absolutely insane from what he’s been telling me. Probably enough gas currently to keep them warm for 12 hours but who knows what happens after that and other cars won’t be that lucky which will make the roads even worse, it won’t get above freezing till Friday..this needs news attention ASAP

Oh geez. What a disaster.  It sounds like the walking dead. I have no idea how to help.  

37 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Not sure how this isn’t in the national news, let alone the texas news but there is a giant fucking wreck on 35 south in Jarrell. @immamac is currently stuck in it. The shit isn’t moving, he’s been stuck for damn near 5 hours and now the roads are iced over completely. Things won’t un freeze there till Friday at this point. This definitely needs attention, there’s a TON of people completely stuck with no way out. Try to get as many eyes on this as possible. There are a lot of people in dire need right now especially as people run out of gas..

F3EFF83F-7F73-426E-A5A7-4C4CE9026F81.png

I know the Txdot road crews are on their way but on their website it says to call this number (additionally—obviously if things are really bad 911):

For road conditions requiring immediate attention call 1 (800) 558-9368.

Don't know, don't care. I would not be out, but we all have our reasons. Least we can do is try and help. Right now I am worthless to help (a bit drunk and jeep is in the shop) but during any disaster I am cool with helping someone out if in my neck of the woods. 

We can't judge @troph just help where we can. Since she owns a bar, bet she knows someone with a 350. 

Not judging at all. He seems like a level headed guy I’m sure he had reasons.  Actually I was a bit panicked for him until I hear he had 12 hours of idle time and crews are on their way.  Still sounds miserable. It’s the other Penelope isn’t it? The bar owner in Jarrell?

Edited by troph

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

He just got back from vacay in Mexico and was staying in DFW trying to get home. Would have been home by 5pm, we were going to do the podcast tonight lol

He can give a traffic and weather report for it. Just kidding. Glad crews are on their way and he and all the other cars have enough gas to idle until help arrives. Hope all will be ok. 🤘🏼Wish I could help more.