ERCOT, PUC, and deregulation got us here

cactusflinthead

Hot Wheels has spent decades trying to drain the swamp of Texas with almost no ability to direct the policies due to partisanship headwinds and bias against the GOP platform in the Lone Star state.
That's what his supporters believe, right?

Right now it’s Biden is shutting down oil production. Somehow everything is a result of that.

8 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Greg is taking about the border crisis.  Distract and lie.

My favorite part about the busing is how everyone likes it up here. The local Catholic charities are able to connect the migrants to their extended families, the migrants are able to get settled while they await their court date.  It’s almost like  if you don’t just keep people locked up in cages on the border, you can establish an orderly processing system for determining asylum status and accept or deport in a timely, humane, and efficient fashion., while relieving the artificially induced migrant crush by packing all asylum seekers into de facto concentration camps 50 miles from the border.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

8 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Exactly. Shouldn’t we be a GOP utopia by now? If they can’t solve it in 30 years I guess we’ll just give them more time. 

GOP voter utopia is getting nothing done and complaining that nothing it getting done. It’s already here. They thrive on it. It’s a sick state of affairs. 

• Rage+1 3

20 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Just got back from the domain (dammit) and half the stores have their front doors open while blasting the AC. Residents shouldn’t be the ones tasked with conserving power when these fucksticks are gobbling it up. 

Yea wtf?  I also hate the open cold displays at the heb/Walmart’s.  I’m not that big of a lazy ass I can open a door to get my lunch meat. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

So why have residential electricity prices doubled in the last year? I'm sure Abbott blames Biden and Keystone XL pipeline but I don't understand why residential rates are now between 17 and 22 cents when it was 10-12 earlier this year. You can't blame a future pipeline for that. I'm unsure if natural gas prices have risen enough to account for the rise.

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

So why have residential electricity prices doubled in the last year? I'm sure Abbott blames Biden and Keystone XL pipeline but I don't understand why residential rates are now between 17 and 22 cents when it was 10-12 earlier this year. You can't blame a future pipeline for that. I'm unsure if natural gas prices have risen enough to account for the rise.

This chart shows a 75% jump in natural gas price since December, but it's not historically high.  I don't pay much attention since Austin's rates are "fixed".

image.thumb.png.575e162ceff712a4e3d2e98387f1312e.png

Austin Energy rates are up for review. 

https://austinenergy.com/ae/rates/2022-base-rate-review/2022-base-rate-recommendations

Thankfully the proposal indicates AE rates will go up far less than natural gas has increased.  

Usage is the other big driver of people's electric bills.  With the heat arriving early in TX this year, electric bills will be higher purely based on higher consumption.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

As others have indicated, natural gas has driven a huge part of the increase in power costs in the state of TX.  Note also that power for summer (July-Aug 2022) has also skyrocketed on concerns about pricing volatility in ERCOT related to grid stability.  In fact, some retail providers have stopped taking new enrollments until summer has ended due to risk management concerns.  

the big boys have to know they're on the railroad commission's double-secret infrastructure list and so will be weatherizing (also has to work in the heat).  but a lot of it is paying the $16,000,000,000+ that we were overcharged when abbott told ercot to keep prices high for an extra few days so that his political donors could make a fuck ton of money and give him his share. 

• Rage+1 2

• 6 months later...

Third world state. 

Maybe they can heat up their guns by letting fly a couple clips magazines and then do the usual cuddling with them. 

Actually, we really should expect better than this. Maybe even vote for something better than this.

Merry Christmas, friends.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

34 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Third world state. 

Maybe they can heat up their guns by letting fly a couple clips magazines and then do the usual cuddling with them. 

Actually, we really should expect better than this. Maybe even vote for something better than this.

Atmos is a garbage company. On the bright side, it sounds like no homes have exploded yet. That's typically Atmos' calling these days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Third world state. 

How many folks in central Texas lack power right now? How many of those are due to wind and are being repaired right now? Austin energy currently shows maybe a dozen reported outages? 

not defending our bullshit grid, but I’m not sure this data point says much..???

8 minutes ago, B00M said:

not sure this data point says much.

It's just one of many data points.

• Voter suppression
  • Woman oppression
  • LGBTQ persecution
  • Permissive attitude toward mass slaughters carried out with weapons that have no other important purpose
  • Opposition to any public education that may offend stupid white people
  • Xenophobia
  • Government that embraces dishonesty
  • Rule by fear of the other

Our state sucks.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

The most energy abundant state in human history has kept the power on for 95% of Texas for 36 hours with no precip to worry about?

If ever there was a time to post the meme "Let's not start sucking each other's dicks yet, gentlemen."  This is it.  2 days into actual Winter and we have power given the untold amounts of hydrocarbons under our feet.  Well I, for one, am over-fucking-whelmed.  Another festivus miracle!

Edited by YGIFS
  • Haha 2

Here is how I see our system in terms of high usage.

• in terms of very high or low temps, our households create high demands of electricity.
  • if demand cannot be met, rolling blackouts occur.
  • if demand can be met, the electrical generating companies can charge outrageous amounts.
  • These outrageous amounts are eventually passed down to the consumers. Immediately or spread over several years. (I’m paying between 2-3x what I paid before 2021.)

consumers take on all of the risk in this system and the producers reap the benefits. I assume the producers’ only “risk” is a low variability year where they just hit the expected numbers.

but since we’ve elected the same people for ~30 years now, we shouldn’t expect improvements for citizens.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

but since we’ve elected the same people for ~30 years now, we shouldn’t expect improvements for citizens.

We won't get improvements for citizens until we get improvements in citizens.  The current crop of rubes that control the ballot boxes have to die off before anything has any chance of getting better.

• Hook 'Em 3

Here is how I see our system in terms of high usage.
  • in terms of very high or low temps, our households create high demands of electricity.
  • if demand cannot be met, rolling blackouts occur.
  • if demand can be met, the electrical generating companies can charge outrageous amounts.
  • These outrageous amounts are eventually passed down to the consumers. Immediately or spread over several years. (I’m paying between 2-3x what I paid before 2021.)
consumers take on all of the risk in this system and the producers reap the benefits. I assume the producers’ only “risk” is a low variability year where they just hit the expected numbers.

Just remember this important truth: any failure or shortcoming of the Texas grid and entire electric generation system, that was expressly designed and operated for the past quarter century pursuant to the intended design and framework created by single political party, and purposefully keep entirely intrastate to keep the feds out of it, is…..Biden’s fault.
We can’t even agree on who is responsible for the design of an entirely intrastate system in a state of one-party rule for over a generation.
We ain’t never solving shit.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

Just a quick reminder, It’s 6 degrees with a -15 windchill in Des Moines rn, where 1/3 of the states energy is wind supplied. Minimal outages.  It doesn’t have to be this way in Texas. You actively choose this.

21E807C4-37C0-496A-9D98-283686277F59.thumb.png.2b509869d4e7f230d156bcf44547327e.png0692E21B-4B8A-4EBC-A71C-CF6549B558AE.thumb.png.d213705cc0b5f325ca75022ff173ee69.png

I’ve actively voted against people who refuse to fix this. Other people have chosen it for me. Which is why I’m getting out. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I’ve actively voted against people who refuse to fix this. Other people have chosen it for me. Which is why I’m getting out. 

I hear ya. Centerpoint in Houston actively recommends that homeowners buy whole house generators. Texans shouldn’t be settling for 3rd world solutions in place of better electrical generations and grids.

it wouldn’t shock me that we start to see neighborhoods or communities building out group emergency generators. Basically creating a system that used to exist at the city level. I imagine many in our Texas GOP leadership love that idea. Why spend tax dollars helping everyone when you can spend to help yourself. It’s the GOP ideal of wealth inequality and benefits.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

25 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hear ya. Centerpoint in Houston actively recommends that homeowners buy whole house generators. Texans shouldn’t be settling for 3rd world solutions in place of better electrical generations and grids.

it wouldn’t shock me that we start to see neighborhoods or communities building out group emergency generators. Basically creating a system that used to exist at the city level. I imagine many in our Texas GOP leadership love that idea. Why spend tax dollars helping everyone when you can spend to help yourself. It’s the GOP ideal of wealth inequality and benefits.

https://www.voanews.com/a/solar-powered-us-town-successfully-weathers-hurricane/6789540.html#:~:text=Sitting on a 7%2C000-hectare,a health center and schools.

Solar-Powered US Town Successfully Weathers Hurricane

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Just a quick reminder, It’s 6 degrees with a -15 windchill in Des Moines rn, where 1/3 of the states energy is wind supplied. Minimal outages.  It doesn’t have to be this way in Texas. You actively choose this.

21E807C4-37C0-496A-9D98-283686277F59.thumb.png.2b509869d4e7f230d156bcf44547327e.png0692E21B-4B8A-4EBC-A71C-CF6549B558AE.thumb.png.d213705cc0b5f325ca75022ff173ee69.png

I don't know what exactly you mean by 1/3rd of the state's energy"  but, talking about electricity alone, about 60% of Iowa's electricity is wind generated.  Wind supplies 80% of Des Moine's electricity.

https://www.iaenvironment.org/newsroom/energy-news/iowa-nears-60-wind-energy-generation-milestone-

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I don't know what exactly you mean by 1/3rd of the state's energy"  but, talking about electricity alone, about 60% of Iowa's electricity is wind generated.  Wind supplies 80% of Des Moine's electricity.

https://www.iaenvironment.org/newsroom/energy-news/iowa-nears-60-wind-energy-generation-milestone-

I stand corrected.  It’s gone up since the last time I looked. 

• 4 weeks later...

So, apparently, the PUC is voting on a plan to restructure Texas's electricity market and make a recommendation to the lege on how it should look. Good thread by Mose Buchele from KUT on what's going on, but he's having trouble deciphering the impact and also whether the PUC could move along with it even without the lege's approval. He also recommends another follow @douglewinenergy I tried following that guy and am getting lost.

Are any of y'all following this? It seems like a few of you may have intimated you've worked with PUC in the past and could possible speak on this more knowledgably. @Brisketexan @SydneyCarton come to mind.

Since it's going to impact all of us and our wallets, I thought it deserved to be brought up.

• Hook 'Em 1