2021 NCAA Baseball

WBT

So, 1-3 at Vandy.  Won game 1, lost a 5-4 close contest in game 2 and then got butt fucked in games 3 and 4

Up 9-0 at Georgia Tech right now in the 8th inning.  Should get them to 4-6 on the year (all games against a team ranked at least in 1 place) with a positive run differential.

Next 3 are at Tennessee who is ranked.  I'm a little biased obviously, but if they went 2-1 against Tennessee and got to 6-7 on the year, with all 13 games against ranked teams, is that worthy of being ranked?  What say the Surl.  I'd say yes but I have no real idea. 

On 3/3/2021 at 6:34 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

So, 1-3 at Vandy.  Won game 1, lost a 5-4 close contest in game 2 and then got butt fucked in games 3 and 4

Up 9-0 at Georgia Tech right now in the 8th inning.  Should get them to 4-6 on the year (all games against a team ranked at least in 1 place) with a positive run differential.

Next 3 are at Tennessee who is ranked.  I'm a little biased obviously, but if they went 2-1 against Tennessee and got to 6-7 on the year, with all 13 games against ranked teams, is that worthy of being ranked?  What say the Surl.  I'd say yes but I have no real idea. 

Panthers outscored 39-5 in the last 5 games. Perhaps not quite ready for prime time, but I'm rooting for them.

13 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Panthers outscored 39-5 in the last 5 games. Perhaps not quite ready for prime time, but I'm rooting for them.

Yeah- been a rough stretch the last 5 games. The closest one was 5-2 loss to Florida or something like that but otherwise completely non competitive. 
2 more with Kentucky and then 1 with Clemson and that ends their 18 games in a row against top echelon power 5 schools to start the year. 
I’ve got a deal with my friend that if I start making serious bank I will donate $25k to the program if he will schedule a 3 day series with Texas. 

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

@Wulaw Horn what’s their story? Do they have some ace Friday night guy or a shutdown long reliever? Any legit MLB bats on the team? I’ll hop up on the bandwagon. Love watching little schools make noise in college basketball and baseball 

No. No ace or anything like that. They are just pretty good and pretty solid throughout. I’ve seen them play 3 games against WVU and watched a couple on tv against Vandy and Georgia and they just never looked outmatched or anything. Bunch of solid guys with maybe 1 or 2 that might be really good?

what they totally and completely lack is the top end talent that you see that’s going to go high in the draft. So, for example the WVU closet just dealt and shut them completely down. 
candy series was weird. Vandy has weather the week before so they played a double header on Sunday where they pitched their ace and #2 against GA States 3 and 4- They lost by like a combined 19 runs. But- on Friday GA state won 4-2 leading the entire game and on Saturday they lost 4-3 in a game where Vandy took the final lead on a HR in the 7th and then the back end of their bullpen made the ending boring. 
Basically, I think if you took the top 3 players off most high major teams in the country they are at parity with them- which is the way of small schools generally in that you can create a solid team or program but

you have to get really lucky to get that kind of top end talent to allow you to compete at the top of the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

He targeted 6-12 as the goal for the first 18 games. When they were 4-6 it looked good. Now that they are 4-11 not Looking so hot. Needs to go 2-1 in the next 3 (2 at Kentucky, 1 at Clemson). 
he’s basically doing what I always wanted done in basketball. I Always wanted one of the mid major teams from the valley to say- screw it- we are going to schedule nothing but big 12 and big 10 teams and see what the difference in quality between the leagues are over a reasonable period of time. 
It’s a fascinating experiment. Either they will be the toughest and mentally strongest team at their level and the game will look easy by comparison or they will be beat up/lose the team. I think he really needs a win this weekend against Kentucky and they lost by 15 yesterday unfortunately. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No. No ace or anything like that. They are just pretty good and pretty solid throughout. I’ve seen them play 3 games against WVU and watched a couple on tv against Vandy and Georgia and they just never looked outmatched or anything. Bunch of solid guys with maybe 1 or 2 that might be really good?

what they totally and completely lack is the top end talent that you see that’s going to go high in the draft. So, for example the WVU closet just dealt and shut them completely down. 
candy series was weird. Vandy has weather the week before so they played a double header on Sunday where they pitched their ace and #2 against GA States 3 and 4- They lost by like a combined 19 runs. But- on Friday GA state won 4-2 leading the entire game and on Saturday they lost 4-3 in a game where Vandy took the final lead on a HR in the 7th and then the back end of their bullpen made the ending boring. 
Basically, I think if you took the top 3 players off most high major teams in the country they are at parity with them- which is the way of small schools generally in that you can create a solid team or program but

you have to get really lucky to get that kind of top end talent to allow you to compete at the top of the game. 

Thanks. And yeah true on that last paragraph. That’s the only thing I’ve liked about the baseball scholarship bullshit. Gives teams like the Panthers and coastal Carolina a shot against the blue bloods 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Thanks. And yeah true on that last paragraph. That’s the only thing I’ve liked about the baseball scholarship bullshit. Gives teams like the Panthers and coastal Carolina a shot against the blue bloods 

I hadn’t thought about it in those terms, but yeah, totally and completely right. Makes for a more egalitarian game for the smaller schools, but when a big school pushes they are definitely getting that top end talent. 

Yeah no doubt. Still, fun to watch in the postseason. Shit we’ve had a fair share of small schools the last 10 years in the post season. Middle Tennessee tech or whatever in 2018. Dallas Baptist in 2016(?), cougar high in 2014. I still laugh about Stony Brook knocking LSU out of the regionals like 6 or whatever years ago 

• Hook 'Em 1

Lots of ranked teams losing games to unranked teams this year. 

my buddy finished his stretch 4-14. Sucks bc they started 3-3 and then 4-6. Hope the situation toughened them up and didn’t break them. The worst team they played in the entire stretch was probably Clemson for 1 game. That’s pretty sick. Conference starts now. Hoping he’s competitive. 
His team has gone 10-40 or something in 19 and he’s flipped more or less the entire roster and then played way above his head so no real idea what he’s got. 

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

my buddy finished his stretch 4-14. Sucks bc they started 3-3 and then 4-6. Hope the situation toughened them up and didn’t break them. The worst team they played in the entire stretch was probably Clemson for 1 game. That’s pretty sick. Conference starts now. Hoping he’s competitive. 
His team has gone 10-40 or something in 19 and he’s flipped more or less the entire roster and then played way above his head so no real idea what he’s got. 

Something went wrong there. I saw them play at GA Tech in the regionals about a decade ago, and they fielded a pretty good team.  Up and down, I guess.

54 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Something went wrong there. I saw them play at GA Tech in the regionals about a decade ago, and they fielded a pretty good team.  Up and down, I guess.

Funny enough- that regional was the first (and I think only) regional for them in school history and my buddy was the recruiting rainmaker for them. He left and went to Gwinnett (NAIA) and built that program and while he was gone GA ST fell off a cliff. Was still surprised for him he was able to make NAIA jump to D1- I don’t think that happens super often 

last post above reads awkward. My buddy didn’t go 10-40- he took over for a team that did. But yeah - I don’t know what else went pear shaped for them after he left- I’m sure it went beyond losing him as an assistant. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Funny enough- that regional was the first (and I think only) regional for them in school history and my buddy was the recruiting rainmaker for them. He left and went to Gwinnett (NAIA) and built that program and while he was gone GA ST fell off a cliff. Was still surprised for him he was able to make NAIA jump to D1- I don’t think that happens super often 

last post above reads awkward. My buddy didn’t go 10-40- he took over for a team that did. But yeah - I don’t know what else went pear shaped for them after he left- I’m sure it went beyond losing him as an assistant. 

Just looked it up. That game was almost 12 (!) years ago.  GA State had a mid-inning lead erased by a Matt Skole (White Sox) grand slam.  Cool thing was that we were guests of Skole's grandfather (my dad's buddy).

https://ramblinwreck.com/skoles-slam-lifts-tech-past-georgia-state-9-3/

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Well shit. You get me on the bandwagon and everything goes to shit. Do you see what happens? Do you see what happens, wulaw? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, torre said:

Florida vs aggy tonight,  6PM, SECN.

Scout aggy for our matchup on 30 Mar and check out Florida's new ballpark O'Sullivan got for declining Texas.   (plus a 1.25M annual salary)

Fuck aggy. They’ll be a 2 or 3 seed as always and hopefully they’re in our regional cause we’re gonna fuck em up like we have in everything for 100 years now. And yes, random TexAg poster that’s reading this, fuck you, fuck your shitass “university”, fuck your entire loser ass athletic department. Having aggy as a 2 or 3 in our regional would be nice. An easy win or 2 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Horny Bull said:

Ranked matchups this weekend:

#16 South Carolina @ #2 Vanderbilt

#3 Mississippi State @ #19 LSU

#14 Oklahoma State @ #7 Texas Tech

Be nice for SCar to take 1 or 2 from Vandy for our SOS/RPI.    They lost to a 6-8 Davidson team Wed.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, torre said:

Be nice for SCar to take 1 or 2 from Vandy for our SOS/RPI.    They lost to a 6-8 Davidson team Wed.

Well shit. Vandy took the Friday night game 3-2. Come on, Cocks. Take the Saturday and Sunday game for us. Also, please be in our regional or super. You fuckers just don’t know how to beat us 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Kumar gave up a run to Mizzou in bot 2 on SECN. Clearly he’s overrated, & Pitt should go another way. 

Vandy’s unis are fucking awful though. 

Vandy hasn’t had nice unis since we kicked their ass in the supers in 04