Texas vs. West Virginia on ABC @ 2pm

SDG

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Free throw shooting is always on the coaching staff.

To some degree. We don't actually know how much time Smart puts into FT shooting during practice, if it's average, below average, a ton, etc. I know how much he would SAY he puts into it ("more than enough!") because I'm sure he sees this as the fault of the players. And even though I want to shove him off a bridge, he's not totally wrong. 

If you're a college basketball player and you have trouble with free throws, there aren't any NCAA regulations on how many practice free throws you're allowed to shoot outside of OTAs. If you're shooting a free throw in a game, you're the only one who has any real control over whether or not the ball goes in when you shoot it.

• Hook 'Em 2

And for those who are still upset at the discrepancy of fouls called, here are the questions to ask:

- Will Shaka call Curtis Shaw immediately after the game and complain? (I doubt it)

- will Shaka have a GA break down all 37 fouls and send them in to Shaw? (Not sure, probability isn’t very high)

This is what stuff like coach K, cal, self, and others do. Shit like that gets you noticed in officiating.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Pancho said:

And for those who are still upset at the discrepancy of fouls called, here are the questions to ask:

- Will Shaka call Curtis Shaw immediately after the game and complain? (I doubt it)

- will Shaka have a GA break down all 37 fouls and send them in to Shaw? (Not sure, probability isn’t very high)

This is what stuff like coach K, cal, self, and others do. Shit like that gets you noticed in officiating.

you know who else did that back in the day when he was sick of North Carolina getting all the calls and his guys getting accused by Dean Smith of thuggish play was Rick Barnes

now I've done it

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Yes. It’s been this way for years regardless of if we are home or on the road. Not sure why y’all are surprised or upset. 

If you want to shoot more FTs than your opponent, then you’ll need a coach who can design such an offense. We don’t have that. Shaka made his offensive style a while back.

Are y’all actually watching the game or just spouting the typical company line? I can name 5-6 horrendous calls/no calls off the top of my head excluding the last play.

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Or Texas just committed like $70+ million or something to fire and hire a new football staff and Shaka has a $10 million buyout. CDC ain’t doing it. 

Easy to get BMDs to fire Herman. They don’t answer the phone to fire Shaka 

Down to $7mill after this season... it was $10.5mill in March 2020

https://www.si.com/college/2020/03/27/shaka-smart-returning-texas-longhorns

Hope they delay opening Moody Center till spring of 2022 so Shaka is gone 

Edited by LTtxfan

Just now, A’Dam Psycho said:

Are y’all actually watching the game or just spouting the typical company line? I can name 5-6 horrendous calls/no calls off the top of my head excluding the last play.

You’re assuming I thought every call was legit. I’ve never said that nor do I think it. Doug sirmons will straight make up some shit. He’s a cocky mofo.

vut see my post above—will Shaka clip those 5-6 calls and send them into Shaw? I doubt it. If he doesn’t, it further lets you know it’s him. A good coach would have those plays clipped and sent in to the conference 15 minutes after the last buzzer.

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Down to $7mill after this season... it was $10.5mill in March 2020

https://www.si.com/college/2020/03/27/shaka-smart-returning-texas-longhorns

Hope they delay opening Moody Center till spring of 2022 so Shaka is gone 

$7 is still a lot for basketball at Texas. CDC ain’t going into next year with 3 new coaches in the Big 3 - Pierce is more on the hot seat I think. 

Edited by Js1

Just now, Js1 said:

$7 is still a lot for basketball at Texas. CDC ain’t going into next year with 3 new coaches in the Big 3 - Pierce is more on the hot seat I think. 

Oh I agree... But a $3.5mill buyout next March (2022) should be the time Shaka is finally let go if not earlier... 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

$7M is nothing if we cared.  yeah Pierce is on the hot seat too but it would exactly make my point if he were more on the hot seat than a coach who has a .460 winning percentage in conference in 6 years.

the guy has already proven he is s shitty coach.  anyone can recruit to Texas.  Matt Coleman is exhibit A of how shitty a coach Shaka is.  

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

You’re assuming I thought every call was legit. I’ve never said that nor do I think it. Doug sirmons will straight make up some shit. He’s a cocky mofo.

vut see my post above—will Shaka clip those 5-6 calls and send them into Shaw? I doubt it. If he doesn’t, it further lets you know it’s him. A good coach would have those plays clipped and sent in to the conference 15 minutes after the last buzzer.

Shaka is too fucking nice, that’s the other problem. I agree there. He should have got on the refs a few times  

my dad came over to help me with something and then watch the game. we spent the entire second half yelling at the TV every time we were on offense. zero off-ball movement, stagnant possessions, one lazy, shitty pass after another, a complete failure to adjust to Huggy Bear's own defensive adjustments, all resulting in our guys settling for poor shot after poor shot. just a pathetic effort in the 2H, and a crystal clear example of Shaka Smart being totally outclassed in this league. he went running and screaming after the officials when the game ended, as if it was their fault that we imploded and failed to make adjustments. get this clown out of here.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

Would the last shot have counted? It's clear that the rules say it must be a tip and it looks as if he caught it. I only bring this up because it seems as if he should have been coached prior to that play.

That’s a good point. I guess the game was over the moment the ball was caught. I’d say there was little chance it was coached.
  • Like 1

re: this "the refs screwed us" argument:

a)we spent the entire 2H standing around the 3P line shooting from 23 feet. kinda hard to get fouled that way.

and b)we blew a 19 point lead. 

the refs did not blow the lead, Shaka and his players did. we lost by two. had we not spent the entire second half essentially holding WVU's hand on their way down Comeback Lane, we would have won the game. it was a carbon copy of the TTU loss, only the lead we blew today was 19 points instead of 12. the referees are not even entering my thinking right now. you spend an entire half dicking around like careless assholes and you blow a 19 point lead and lose by two, that ain't the refs fault. period. 

1 hour ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

... and despite the chatter over the foul and FT disparity, Texas carelessness gave WVU 12 more points in a 2-point loss.

Yep. Even then, make a paltry 7 of 11 FTs (which for  any team should be a given) and we still win. Instead, defeat somehow snatched again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

He recruits well, puts players in the league, no scandals, doesn’t cheat.  He’s had a bunch of extremely close losses this season. He’s safe as can be with that buyout. 
Pierce is more in the hot seat than Shaka.  Basketball is below football and baseball in Texas prestige and importance. 

Pierce is not on the hot seat. Won a conference title and went to the CWS.

Shaka is a bad coach. Close losses are part of the problem.

On 2/20/2021 at 10:14 PM, Cairn Horn88 said:

Shaka has a new excuse for every loss.  A great coach adjusts at the half, a great coach coach does his best coaching the last 5 minutes of a game.  Shaka can do neither.  He seems to find a way to lose games that we should win.  It’s all on the coach.  

We got two great looks to win/tie at the end