Nonfungible Tokens (NFT’s)

DonkeyCigars

2 hours ago, Irieguy said:

2,400 Legendary packs dropping tomorrow for $1,000. TopShot did a snapshot of accounts a couple hours ago. You have to have met one of these requirements to be eligible:

Own 15+ moments
Own 2+ Rare moments
Own 1+ Legendary moments
Spent $999 in the marketplace

There’s nothing you can do now to be eligible for tomorrow’s drop. I’m kicking myself because I was going to buy some cheap moments last night just in case they did a snapshot. TopShot mentioned they will continue to do unannounced snapshots going forward. I’m going to buy 20 moments for $5 each and list them for $7 or $8 bucks. This will keep my moments count high and increase my “amount spent in marketplace”. 

Someone on Twitter came up with 80k as the number of accounts that qualified. No idea if that is accurate. But if it is, figure that 70k will attempt to buy, so 3% chance to get in the top 2400. Of course, it doesn’t mean everyone either can or will want to drop $1k on it. 

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

greater than 58k in line. I'm 16,000th in line.  womp womp.

Sorry to hear that. 58k means there was $58,000,000 in qualified demand for packs. Pretty amazing. Especially considering there was probably another 58k like me that would have bought a pack but was unqualified.*

*wild guess 

10 hours ago, Tailgate said:

I signed up for this as well and will try and get a few packs (I think they will limit to 10) on the 20th. Yesterday they took 10K preorders that would receive a special pack and it was sold out really quick. Did not make that list. From what I gather Wax is the poorest experience of the popular ones out there (Veve, Zed, TS). With multiple marketplaces, sites, etc. it will be a bit more difficult but at least they will accept CC. I've been a Topps collector for some time so I'm still obvi interested.

• Hook 'Em 1

so topshot just did a drop - 92,500 packs, so of course my number was...141.  perfect timing for that type of luck.  i'm still operating off my initial $14 investment, with now about 11 moments, $100 in my dapper account, and this was today's pack.  not a lot to get excited about, but a limited edition and overall pretty low serial numbers.

TOPSHOT.thumb.jpg.96ba831efff112495d6cec18920b909e.jpg

i'm not really sure what the play is at this point, other than to hold everything and hope that this blows up over the next 6-12 months and anything in series 1 and 2 steadily becomes more valuable.  i'll obviously still hope to get in on every drop, but i ain't spending no grand like last week's shit.

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

so topshot just did a drop - 92,500 packs, so of course my number was...141.  perfect timing for that type of luck.  i'm still operating off my initial $14 investment, with now about 11 moments, $100 in my dapper account, and this was today's pack.  not a lot to get excited about, but a limited edition and overall pretty low serial numbers.

i'm not really sure what the play is at this point, other than to hold everything and hope that this blows up over the next 6-12 months and anything in series 1 and 2 steadily becomes more valuable.  i'll obviously still hope to get in on every drop, but i ain't spending no grand like last week's shit.

I was 240K in line so didn't get anything. Overall that's a solid pack. Like you said good serial numbers and you have a MPJ who will benefit going into the stretch and getting more touches with Murray out plus an LE first moment. Unless you are doing the CC Challenge selling the Hayward in the next few days is a good play since those prices will be inflated from the moment utility.

As far as not wanting to spend a grand, it would have been hard not to if you made the cut... EV for that thing was definitely well worth it. Something like a 16% chance to get an LBJ that was selling for min 25K.

I tend to think that non-stars and most of the 35K set will lose value over the off season so my plan is selling off certain ones and putting into mega stars and those on teams with Championship mettle.

18 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

TOPSHOT.thumb.jpg.96ba831efff112495d6cec18920b909e.jpg

What was the market like for the $1000 drop afterwards? I joined the queue but wasn’t entirely sure I was going to buy. Anyway, I remember being relatively unimpressed with many of the players listed.

I did read the story about someone selling a LeBron, from that drop, for 2500 when everyone was selling for 25000. Missed 0s are a bitch.

I've been buying on Top Shot but decided to pass on TOPPS for now. I've been disappointed with Top Shot in how they run their business and I assume TOPPS will be the same.

Top Shot is about getting lucky with new packs and their marketplace economics suck. Their marketplace encourages owners to sell as low as possible. If they would allow auctions, the opposite could occur. Right now, you list your LeBron moment for $500, that is what you get minus fees. Instead they should allow me to auction off my LeBron starting at $500.  Which allows the marketplace to discover the true value. However they don't support auctions, for now.

topps drop was fucked.  one friend got through, paid, and didnt have anything in his account come 4pm ct.  checked card again and they had refunded money.

all that time leading up to the drop you would think they would have learned something from the top shot shortcomings.

11 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

topps drop was fucked.  one friend got through, paid, and didnt have anything in his account come 4pm ct.  checked card again and they had refunded money.

all that time leading up to the drop you would think they would have learned something from the top shot shortcomings.

Topps proves that it's easier said than done to get it right. I saw some tweets where the Topp's NFT player name and picture didn't match. Which if they kept the mistakes, could actually be worth something. I bet Topps corrects the embarrassing mistakes.

I read many people were skeptical about Topps' and their selected blockchain to handle this effectively. I assume Topps under-funded and rushed this rollout in an attempt to replicate what Top Shot did in February. We've all been there. The sponsor first picks the project delivery date and tells you to work towards that date whether feasible or not.

• Like 3

I qualified for tomorrow’s criteria to buy a rare pack without really spending any money. I think my system is pretty good(but time consuming). 

The criteria for buying packs going forward is going to be two fold: owning moments and spending in marketplace. So to accomplish both goals I buy moments for $5 and sell for $7($6.65 after fees). I try to keep 20 moments in my account at all times  because you never know when they are going to snapshot your account. The best time to buy is after a pack drop. There is always people listing moments too cheap immediately after. If possible buy moments where only 1 or 2 is listed at the current price. If you buy a moment for $5 and there are 20 others listed for $5, obviously that inventory of 20 will need to be sold before anybody buys yours for $6 or $7 after you list. 
This approach could probably be done with higher price moments but there is more risk and you have to understand the market better. I don’t think the cheapest moments will be less than $5 in a year but higher price moments could plummet. 

If you want to buy rare packs ($99) in the future your goal should be: own 30 moments and have spent $500 in marketplace 

Account goals if you want to buy legendary packs($1000): own 50 moments and 2 rare moments and $2000 in marketplace spending  

These are my estimates based on the increasing pack requirements that we have seen.  

Edited by Irieguy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Was in the top 10K, so I got the Rare pack. The big prize was DeAndre Jordan rare card but horrible serial #. 

My first pack opening vid... Like all the cool kids.

Nice! Not a huge score but definitely profitable!  That Jerami Grant was going for $40 but will drop to $7 now because the cool cats challenge is over. 

Reminder that when the marketplace opens tonight after the pack drop will be a good time to go value hunting. People tend to list their worse moments too cheap. Buyers will need moments to meet criteria for playoff pack drops in the future. Buy low now and list them for a price that locks in a nice profit. 

Edited by Irieguy

Damn, a week has flown by and I spent zero time on Surly... what's happening.

Was a big NFT week for me (hardly did any work) as I participated in the Topps NFT drop and got several packs and was #309 in line for TopShot so got a Rare Pack.

Topps:

Although there were some bumps it was their first drop... I was around in TopShot mid last year but they had the advantage of only a handful of users buying packs. Topps had to do their first in the middle of the NFL craze. I will say that Topps has some big advantages in a lot of ways... Your actually own the NFT token and have the freedom to do a lot more with it. There are multiple 3rd party marketplaces, you have way more flexibility in how you sell your cards; for instance you can sell and trade packs, bundle cards to sell, create an auction for your cards. Marketplace experience is way better I think. I also think the future will be very bright... Topps is invested and already has a physical product with millions of users (each of whom are now a target for user acquisition). I can only imagine that Series 2 packs in stores are going to have inserts to redeem for a common NFT card.

Drawbacks exist however since you have to transact in Wax which is not a straightforward crypto. The drop was purchased in USD but everything on the marketplace needs to be bought in Wax which will limit new participants. 

Just fun to see this from the very beginning where I was not able to be on TS.

TopShot

I got my best spot in line ever and ended up with a Kemba Walker MGLE. Not a great serial but will likely hold until the challenge and sell then. Nothing notable on the common moments. My higher end moments are still dropping and I'm working on consolidating into a few solid Superstars/S1s that I intend to hold through the offseason.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Damn, a week has flown by and I spent zero time on Surly... what's happening.

Was a big NFT week for me (hardly did any work) as I participated in the Topps NFT drop and got several packs and was #309 in line for TopShot so got a Rare Pack.

Topps:

Although there were some bumps it was their first drop... I was around in TopShot mid last year but they had the advantage of only a handful of users buying packs. Topps had to do their first in the middle of the NFL craze. I will say that Topps has some big advantages in a lot of ways... Your actually own the NFT token and have the freedom to do a lot more with it. There are multiple 3rd party marketplaces, you have way more flexibility in how you sell your cards; for instance you can sell and trade packs, bundle cards to sell, create an auction for your cards. Marketplace experience is way better I think. I also think the future will be very bright... Topps is invested and already has a physical product with millions of users (each of whom are now a target for user acquisition). I can only imagine that Series 2 packs in stores are going to have inserts to redeem for a common NFT card.

Drawbacks exist however since you have to transact in Wax which is not a straightforward crypto. The drop was purchased in USD but everything on the marketplace needs to be bought in Wax which will limit new participants. 

Just fun to see this from the very beginning where I was not able to be on TS.

TopShot

I got my best spot in line ever and ended up with a Kemba Walker MGLE. Not a great serial but will likely hold until the challenge and sell then. Nothing notable on the common moments. My higher end moments are still dropping and I'm working on consolidating into a few solid Superstars/S1s that I intend to hold through the offseason.

i didn't even know they rescheduled the topps drop after the initial clusterfuck.

did you get anything good?  the only marketplace i saw for the presale pack cards seemed really low in comparison to topshot.

On 4/24/2021 at 1:00 PM, henrygandorf said:

i didn't even know they rescheduled the topps drop after the initial clusterfuck.

did you get anything good?  the only marketplace i saw for the presale pack cards seemed really low in comparison to topshot.

I was not lucky enough to pull anything in Legendary category and only 1 Trout card. It was a SP of Mike Trout which is nice but the Independence and 70th Anniv are the ones that have really taken off. That one and I got a #6 Vladimir 70th Anniv. which are the best two according to pricing estimates.

Alright I'm in line for the Base Set drop. 14,000 people ahead of me. I have no idea what I"m doing, but being prepared to burn $9 on a pack reminds me of burning $4-5 at a time from 11-16 on Topps, UpperDeck, Bowman's, etc., so this is a familiar feeling. I'm sure these will be worth just as much as the shoe-box fulls of commons I have laying around in my father's attic somewhere. 

who owns the rights to a meme image?  if Disaster Girl got almost half a mil, then Jaguars fan should easily clear that.  but who can sell the NFT?  ESPN, which filmed it, or Jaguars fans, whose image it is?  that wasn't an issue with Disaster Girl because her dad took the pic.

fans GIF

My strategy of buying low priced moments on TopShot continues to work well. I bought 40 moments for a total of $240 over the last week or so. 4 of those moments got announced today as needed for Cool Cats 6 challenge. I sold them for $35 each ($133 total after commission). So effectively I bought 36 moments for $3 each. I’ll list them over time for between $5 and $7. Time consuming but hey I’m on my phone all the time anyway. 🤷🏻‍♂️

16 hours ago, Irieguy said:

My strategy of buying low priced moments on TopShot continues to work well. I bought 40 moments for a total of $240 over the last week or so. 4 of those moments got announced today as needed for Cool Cats 6 challenge. I sold them for $35 each ($133 total after commission). So effectively I bought 36 moments for $3 each. I’ll list them over time for between $5 and $7. Time consuming but hey I’m on my phone all the time anyway. 🤷🏻‍♂️

This is the way...

Did any of you start buying the Topps NFTs off the marketplace? It's only been a week and a half but these things have seen some significant growth. Packs that you originally bought for $99 got up to $1000 on the marketplace.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hi, Author of OP here...

Is this NFT crap still a thing? I stopped paying attention a month ago when Mark Cuban got all slobbery and sloppily started weighing in because he's always trying to back inferior substitutes of things he wishes he could have thought of. 

Anyways, are my Luka highlights worth a million bucks yet?

Are NFT's stupid? (I saw the market has "cooled off" as the pundits have said and wonder if they will be a trend of the day like SPACs)

FYI: I'm mostly joking with rhetorical device here, so don't be offended to those whose identities are now intertwined with being an NFT guy while I'm asking questions. Just having fun.

21 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

who owns the rights to a meme image?  if Disaster Girl got almost half a mil, then Jaguars fan should easily clear that.  but who can sell the NFT?  ESPN, which filmed it, or Jaguars fans, whose image it is?  that wasn't an issue with Disaster Girl because her dad took the pic.

The original photographer owns the rights to the image. The NFT buyer owns no rights to the image. The NFT owner is the one who can sell the token, but the sale transfers no rights to the image, since the NFT owner did not own any rights to begin with.

2 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

This is the way...

Did any of you start buying the Topps NFTs off the marketplace? It's only been a week and a half but these things have seen some significant growth. Packs that you originally bought for $99 got up to $1000 on the marketplace.

Ok now I’m pissed. I got all the way through to the end of the checkout on day 1 for a $100 pack. The charge was pending on my credit card but I never got the pack and my card wasn’t charged. The process was so frustrating that I didn’t even try again or appeal to get a pack. The system is really bad now. That said, are there any drops coming up? I’ll put up with BS for a 10x return. 😎

2 hours ago, Irieguy said:

Ok now I’m pissed. I got all the way through to the end of the checkout on day 1 for a $100 pack. The charge was pending on my credit card but I never got the pack and my card wasn’t charged. The process was so frustrating that I didn’t even try again or appeal to get a pack. The system is really bad now. That said, are there any drops coming up? I’ll put up with BS for a 10x return. 😎

No new drops that I know about. Could be they are just waiting until Series 2 cards come out to drop those packs. This is going to be a bit different than TopShot where it might mirror the cards more than being it's own product. If you are interested you might want to just look at what you can buy for a deal on the market. Who knows if Series 2 and beyond are going to have a 10x return  immediately without it being some sought after rookie. Trout cards are insane right now... the #1 Legendary pulled out of packs sold for $80K and base common ones were selling for $300 just a few days ago.

The challenge of buying packs was a pain but this was their first ever drop. They might not have anticipated that much demand. TS was doing this early on and would have packs just sitting out there for days where users could just go in several times and buy multiple. 

Edited by ZB'Tejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

TopShot just announced a trade in system for moments. Details aren’t published yet but this is just further confirmation that they are committed to propping up the value of common moments. If you buy cheap moments now there are three ways to profit:

1. Your moment gets included in a challenge. 
2. You use it as a trade in for more valuable packs.

3.  Your moments go up in value because people are buying because of 1 and 2. 

Not financial advice but I think you can profit from flipping cheap moments and as a bonus it will increase the “baller score” of your account and make you eligible for higher value packs. 

433DB283-A448-459C-B45D-7F733F5C56A4.jpeg

News travels fast. In the 20 minutes since my last post 20 of my cheapest moments sold. In an hour the cheapest moments to buy will be $7. Buying these cheap moments helped me reach the $1,000 spent in the marketplace criteria and I made a decent profit while doing so. 

77514A62-B3F3-4F78-A0BC-1D82F40560AE.jpeg

I'm glad they're going to do something with the common moments. I've bought a couple common packs recently and have been thinking about stopping future buys as I don't care to have serial #32000 of someone I don't know.  I could resell the 3 common moments for a minor profit but who cares about $10.  when someone trades in  their moment, will the moment get burned, or resold?

I wonder if they're thought about rewarding collectors for holding onto "worthless" moments. Earn points by not selling or not even listing them for sale.  And the longer you hold, the points earned goes up and up. 

The other thing they desperately need are auctions. The current system is great for buyers as sellers race to the bottom.  An auction will create the true market value.

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm glad they're going to do something with the common moments. I've bought a couple common packs recently and have been thinking about stopping future buys as I don't care to have serial #32000 of someone I don't know.  I could resell the 3 common moments for a minor profit but who cares about $10.  when someone trades in  their moment, will the moment get burned, or resold?

I wonder if they're thought about rewarding collectors for holding onto "worthless" moments. Earn points by not selling or not even listing them for sale.  And the longer you hold, the points earned goes up and up. 

The other thing they desperately need are auctions. The current system is great for buyers as sellers race to the bottom.  An auction will create the true market value.

A feature they need in the short term is the ability to edit your asking price on a sale. Currently I have to cancel my listing and then relist at the new price. Total pain. They have committed to adding auctions. I like your idea about rewarding holders. Today they reward packs based on moments owned and marketplace spending. That obviously rewards flippers like me. They said in one of the chats that they might start tracking sales to count against purchases. So if you spent $1,000 in marketplace but sold $900 you only get credit for $100. That would hurt my chances of getting packs but is probably the right thing to do. By the way, I’m now at 50 moments sold since the trade in announcement. 💵

Edited by Irieguy

I did more reading. The packs that can be purchased with trade tickets contain Season 1 moments!!!! I can’t imagine these packs being worth less than $2,000. Any moment can be traded in for trade tickets. I canceled the rest of my sales. The cheapest moments are going to $10. And fast. Buy as many as you can at $8 or less. 

I did more reading. The packs that can be purchased with trade tickets contain Season 1 moments!!!! I can’t imagine these packs being worth less than $2,000. Any moment can be traded in for trade tickets. I canceled the rest of my sales. The cheapest moments are going to $10. And fast. Buy as many as you can at $8 or less. 

My understanding too. All moments can be exchanged for a trade ticket which I’m turn can be used to buy specialty packs. These packs will contain S1 unissued moments but there will also be pack available that are the “recycled” moments of the ones that are being traded in for tickets. It sounds like that might almost be the type of rebound pack for those drops. It also sounds like the S1 packs could cost more in tickets which they would be determining over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk