2018 Texas Women's Soccer

texasstrong12

2 hours ago, pacman said:

Texas in a 3-5-2 today

Jett, Regan wingbacks

Prefer this formation much more than the 4-3-3. 

In particular today, Jett and Regan were much more in an outside midfield type role than outside fullback type role. Those two are really good in an attacking role and create a lot of problems on the wing. 

If Mshana, Hooper and Surpris can manage in the back this gives us a lot of firepower from an offensive standpoint. 

This team is better than last year but that isn't surprising with the additions of Regan and Grosso. Technically gifted. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Upcoming schedule: 

Long Beach State. They are really good and this is going to be a round of 32/sweet 16 caliber opponent. A draw in this match would probably be a good result. This team won't lose many games and they play a loaded non-conference schedule. 

After that we should run the table in non-conference. SFA (1-2), Texas State (1-3), Houston Baptist (1-1), UTRGV (2-2), Northern Colorado (1-2).. Those are all at home and we should be able to get a lot of players some playing time. 

Also of note, West Virginia is really struggling. They've played a lot of quality opponents but they are 0-1-3. Texas, Oklahoma State, Baylor or TCU should all challenge for the Big 12 title this year. 

Maybe I'm biased, but Hintzen didn't get Big 12 Offensive POW after scoring 3 goals against ranked opponents, including a golden-goal winner?

They gave it to KU's Katie McClure because she scored the game-winning goal in an upset over #18 Pepperdine.  But Hintzen's weekend was more impressive.

Wait, I'm sorry.  Didn't we beat a ranked opponent and tie #4 and we DROPPED 2 spots?

#16 in Top Drawer Soccer rankings.

WV dropped into the last team RV in the United Soccer Coaches poll but still ranked in TDS.  Wtf.

Edited by Js1

Long Beach State has only given up 2 goals in 4 games. They are tough to break down and they possess the ball really well. 

Based on twitter, I don't think Grosso is available against Long Beach State or SFA because of the friendly with the Canadian national team. We're going to need some players to step up in the midfield because we're going to need possession if we want to break down this team. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Thoughts so far

1) Tecora Turner might be the most improved player on the team. She's not great technically but she's improved. Turner gives us a different look up top as she's kind of your prototypical striker with speed. Turner should be getting more minutes over Adams. Kelly has a weird infatuation with Adams for some reason. 

2) Berg isn't having a big enough impact at forward. Move her to the midfield. 

3) Dollas doesn't get nearly enough credit. Works her ass off in a defensive midfield role and brings a physical presence. Dollas might be my favorite player on the team because she's the gritty type that can win you games. 

4) This roster is loaded with talent. McFarland, Turner, Allen and Falcone looked better than some of our starters tonight. Kelly said this was the best recruiting class so far at Texas and I can see why. Lots of talk about Grosso/Regan but McFarland and Allen are both legit. I believe we finished 16th in the TopDrawer recruiting rankings but I don't think they rank the international players like Grosso and Regan. Those two are both high 4 star/5 star talents so this is more like a top 10 class. 

5) Still no Strouphauer yet so she must have some type of injury. 

6) I want Regan to be a "ball hog" when she touches the ball because when she runs at players on the wing it results in a lot of dangerous opportunities. 

7) We should close out the rest of non-conference play with ease. SFA, Texas State, Houston Baptist, UTRGV and Northern Colorado all at home. UTRGV beat Miami tonight and gave us trouble last year so they might be decent. 

I know it's just SFA but there's no way we could score 5 goals a few years ago. We've now scored multiple goals in every game except the opener against #4 UNC where we scored 1. This team is loaded in the midfield and at forward so goal scoring shouldn't be a problem. 

It's also sounding like Huitema is now seriously considering going pro over college.  

https://www.vancourier.com/as-busy-year-continues-to-unfold-teen-star-jordyn-huitema-faces-soccer-decisions-1.23419552

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I know it's just SFA but there's no way we could score 5 goals a few years ago. We've now scored multiple goals in every game except the opener against #4 UNC where we scored 1. This team is loaded in the midfield and at forward so goal scoring shouldn't be a problem. 

It's also sounding like Huitema is now seriously considering going pro over college.  

https://www.vancourier.com/as-busy-year-continues-to-unfold-teen-star-jordyn-huitema-faces-soccer-decisions-1.23419552

Similar to womens basketball I thought womens soccer was one of those sports where it was tough to justify skipping college and going straight pro due to the lack of high pay in the pros. Maybe I’m wrong and women can sign 6 figure annual contracts out the gate. 

This is encouraging from Adams. I haven't seen her play with this type pace since her ACL tear in '16. Last year it was tough to watch her play because you could tell she was nowhere close to 100%. I think we have better options than Adams but she's a good player when healthy. Hopefully, this is a sign that Adams is finally close to where she was in '16 before the injury. 

Edited by texasstrong12

On 9/3/2018 at 4:58 AM, perfectchaos007 said:

Similar to womens basketball I thought womens soccer was one of those sports where it was tough to justify skipping college and going straight pro due to the lack of high pay in the pros. Maybe I’m wrong and women can sign 6 figure annual contracts out the gate. 

They certainly can get into the 100k + college expenses overseas. Lindsey Horan skipped UNC for professional soccer in France. 18, in France, for 100k a year? Not a bad gig.