OU Recruiting 2023: Blowing and Going

UDontKnow

4 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

This pretty much confirms what Surly suspected. BV was looking for a reason to get rid of Cale Gundy and Gundy absentmindedly gave BV the grounds to can him.

I think Venables knows what he has to do here. He’s going to have to hire Mike Stoops to replace Gundy. Need some of that old school Sooner Magic on staff. 

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

This pretty much confirms what Surly suspected. BV was looking for a reason to get rid of Cale Gundy and Gundy absentmindedly gave BV the grounds to can him.

When you look at them more closely, a lot of the reported “cancel culture” incidents within organizations turn out to be power moves of office politics for one person to dispatch a rival, or in some cases move up the office hierarchy. That could be what happened here as Venables seeks to purge the staff of possible dissidents. 

9 hours ago, Skipper said:

This is exactly what we should be rooting for here. Chaos within the coaching staff.  Lebby was a student assistant/GA when Cale was a young coach so one would have to think he might not be on board with losing a WR coach he's comfortable with during training camp.

Or perhaps the 50 year old WR coach doesn't like taking orders from his young coordinator and former GA who has rapidly surpassed him professionally? It wouldn't be surprising if there was some friction and insubordination there. 

Holy shit, Oklahoma fans and former players are attempting to make it ok for a white guy to say some racist shit as long as he poured 30 years of his life into something that means a lot to them. This solves the Peterson, mixon, dvorachek puzzle pretty clearly. If you really love Oklahoma football and you were a good qb then a good recruiter that helped win 275 games…well you can beat women, say racist shit, probably toss around some gay slurs…then just apologize. God loves cale gundy because he’s a winner. I mean that RJ cocksucker literally referenced how many wins gundy was a part of…L O L. Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Or perhaps the 50 year old WR coach doesn't like taking orders from his young coordinator and former GA who has rapidly surpassed him professionally? It wouldn't be surprising if there was some friction and insubordination there. 

Possibly.  But I would think Gundy made a decision to stay as a position coach well over a decade ago.   He would have needed to prove himself as an OC at a smaller program if he wanted to work his way to OC at a place like OU. I certainly haven't followed what opportunities he might have had over the past 15 years but given he never left OU I would assume he was content.

Per Ikard, he was hearing exactly that Saturday into Sunday.  Big team meeting, players are generally on board with a discussion and small leave of absence with an eye toward moving past it together.  Then by Sunday evening, something in there changed.  He doesn't know if it was Admin-driven, or if players spoke up that weren't comfortable doing it in a large session, or if Gundy and Venables had another discussion, but something changed.

10 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

Per Ikard, he was hearing exactly that Saturday into Sunday.  Big team meeting, players are generally on board with a discussion and small leave of absence with an eye toward moving past it together.  Then by Sunday evening, something in there changed.  He doesn't know if it was Admin-driven, or if players spoke up that weren't comfortable doing it in a large session, or if Gundy and Venables had another discussion, but something changed.

I think what changed is that they realized they can't have this story festering for weeks, rehashing what the guy said and wondering when players and fans will eventually get over it. Constantly having stories about how Gundy said the n word -- no he said it like this, no he said it like that, no it's okay because of this, no it's not because of that -- has no good ending for them. The pairing of Gundy with that word, no matter the circumstances, only hurts recruiting, team unity, etc. 

Also, Ikard is a bumblefuck and you should feel bad for listening to him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

I think what changed is that they realized they can't have this story festering for weeks, rehashing what the guy said and wondering when players and fans will eventually get over it. Constantly having stories about how Gundy said the n word -- no he said it like this, no he said it like that, no it's okay because of this, no it's not because of that -- has no good ending for them. The pairing of Gundy with that word, no matter the circumstances, only hurts recruiting, team unity, etc. 

This isn't just firing any coach.  It's firing a former player and a coach that has been there since freaking 1999 that also happens to be a top recruiter.  He's clearly  popular among former players given the response.    IF (and it's a big IF) reports are true that the majority of the team was supportive of keeping him regardless of what really happened, then in no way does firing them somehow result in less controversy.   If things don't go well for BV this season he's already going to have a massive strike against him from the vast majority of the fanbase. The fans won't "get over it".

From our perspective it's all great obviously.   The more controversy the better.   

Edited by Skipper

4 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

We will never know for sure, but that sounds as plausible as anything else.

Ikard is unobjectionable for me, and I do trust that he wouldn't lie about what he was hearing from staff and players.  If he's quiet about something, there's a reason.  Once he decides to definitively go on record, he's never been called out as being untruthful.

12 hours ago, Born Burnt said:

She is batshit crazy, and I would still strike that with the might of Thor.

ixMV2M_1.jpg

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’m confused though. Is she his daughter? New wife? Can’t be the wife he met in school or whatever, right?

Thats his daughter. Fun fact: Casey Thompson was banging her regularly 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I guess I still don't get it. In my head, I see a guy calling a player out during skull session and asking him what he's doing. He grabs the iPad and starts reading it aloud. Afterwards, looks at the room and says, none of that is on me, I was reading what the dude wrote, you guys know that, and so-and-so player fucking around on the iPad, you've got extra sprints after practice.

I mean, that's weird, but give me a fucking break. It's not a racist rant or the guy's own words. But whatever, it's good for us, sucks for him. I hope it keeps festering and your boy BV keeps floundering with it. He looks like a fucking douche right now, but it's nothing that a bunch of sweatbands on his wrists and frenetic gesticulating on the sidelines against the juggernauts of UTEP and Kent State can't fix.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying I agree with it. But I get it. This is was way overthought. Brent really fucked this up, but you can’t crawfish and hire him back. You would look too weak. So you have to double down. Hence the second letter. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I guess I still don't get it. In my head, I see a guy calling a player out during skull session and asking him what he's doing. He grabs the iPad and starts reading it aloud. Afterwards, looks at the room and says, none of that is on me, I was reading what the dude wrote, you guys know that, and so-and-so player fucking around on the iPad, you've got extra sprints after practice.

I mean, that's weird, but give me a fucking break. It's not a racist rant or the guy's own words. But whatever, it's good for us, sucks for him. I hope it keeps festering and your boy BV keeps floundering with it. He looks like a fucking douche right now, but it's nothing that a bunch of sweatbands on his wrists and frenetic gesticulating on the sidelines against the juggernauts of UTEP and Kent State can't fix.

9548E952-FC60-41C4-A8AF-C2231AFDE1CC.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, kilroydos said:

i thought it had been reported that this was not something forced on them by admin but was a BV decision?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either how he's the bad guy or fall guy for this.  Sounds like a teacher reading a note that got intercepted in class.  Maybe not the best idea b/c, well, who the hell knows what's in there, but also not some sort of thing that it makes sense to blame the coach/teacher for the contents of the note.  Bizarre.  Maybe not the greatest judgment (if that's how it all went down- big if), but absolutely not something to fry a guy over.  Should be a big ball of nothing. 
I'm in favor of anything that off foots OU, obviously, but I don't like seeing people get dragged for nothing. 

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either how he's the bad guy or fall guy for this.  Sounds like a teacher reading a note that got intercepted in class.  Maybe not the best idea b/c, well, who the hell knows what's in there, but also not some sort of thing that it makes sense to blame the coach/teacher for the contents of the note.  Bizarre.  Maybe not the greatest judgment (if that's how it all went down- big if), but absolutely not something to fry a guy over.  Should be a big ball of nothing. 
I'm in favor of anything that off foots OU, obviously, but I don't like seeing people get dragged for nothing. 

Actually, now that you frame it like that, I know of several instances in my social network over the years of hearing about teachers getting fired for reading a note out loud in class that wound up having some really graphic stuff in it. I guess in that context, I get it. Doesn't matter, fuck that sooner and that program. Cheering for more here.

21 minutes ago, NoName said:

i thought it had been reported that this was not something forced on them by admin but was a BV decision?

That was the message in Venables' second post.  I'd imagine we'll never know the full story, but he's definitely taking responsibility.  The change in tone internally before any public announcement is the weird part, to me.  I guess that's the point, though, if they were trying to get their position straight before any news leaked.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Actually, now that you frame it like that, I know of several instances in my social network over the years of hearing about teachers getting fired for reading a note out loud in class that wound up having some really graphic stuff in it. I guess in that context, I get it. Doesn't matter, fuck that sooner and that program. Cheering for more here.

Yeah, I'm gonna need another Pole Assassin-style story to come out of somewhere to make this not news anymore.  Please and thank you.

23 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Idk, if I see the a racial slur in the thing I'm reading, then I don't read that word out loud, especially multiple times so everyone knows I registered it the first time, but that's just me.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Huh. I taught for a couple years and never heard of anything like that happening (being fired I mean). The one thing I ever was told on that was- probably not a good idea to start reading a note outloud b/c who knows what's in it, but I suppose such things could happen. It seems like a bad idea to confuse words read with the viewpoint of the reader, and I imagine it was probably a more common practice than it is now.  

Some of the stuff that my 10th grade girls would write and hand in was pretty damn eye opening- and that was 13 years ago.  Can't imagine what it looks like now.  The girls stuff was always worse than the guys btw, as far as inappropriateness goes. I'm not talking about intercepting notes, I really didn't give a damn whether a kid wanted to pay attention or not as long as they weren't distracting others from doing so, I'm talking about stuff that got turned in, for a grade, on free writing prompts/ what you did over the weekend/ tell a story of what you are planning this weekend- shit like that. 

My funniest moment was the class slut telling her friend about having hooking up with some dude she knew.

Girl 1- What did you do?

Girl 2- we hooked up.

Girl 1- where?

Girl 2- in the butt.

if that was in written form reading such a note in front of class would be bad form and for dumb dumbs.  But that's not malevolent or anything. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Idk, if I see the a racial slur in the thing I'm reading, then I don't read that word out loud, especially multiple times so everyone knows I registered it the first time, but that's just me.

Counterpoint- he went to OU and he coaches at OU, so he's likely sounding out the words as he reads them and as surprised as anyone at what those words ended up being by the time he finished his display of hooked on phonics.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

Yeah, I'm gonna need another Pole Assassin-style story to come out of somewhere to make this not news anymore.  Please and thank you.

I did get a Bama buddy of mine to agree yesterday to a bet that if Bama lost, he would get a pole assassin monkey tramp stamp tattoo. Does that count?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Huh. I taught for a couple years and never heard of anything like that happening (being fired I mean). The one thing I ever was told on that was- probably not a good idea to start reading a note outloud b/c who knows what's in it, but I suppose such things could happen. It seems like a bad idea to confuse words read with the viewpoint of the reader, and I imagine it was probably a more common practice than it is now.  

Some of the stuff that my 10th grade girls would write and hand in was pretty damn eye opening- and that was 13 years ago.  Can't imagine what it looks like now.  The girls stuff was always worse than the guys btw, as far as inappropriateness goes. I'm not talking about intercepting notes, I really didn't give a damn whether a kid wanted to pay attention or not as long as they weren't distracting others from doing so, I'm talking about stuff that got turned in, for a grade, on free writing prompts/ what you did over the weekend/ tell a story of what you are planning this weekend- shit like that. 

My funniest moment was the class slut telling her friend about having hooking up with some dude she knew.

Girl 1- What did you do?

Girl 2- we hooked up.

Girl 1- where?

Girl 2- in the butt.

if that was in written form reading such a note in front of class would be bad form and for dumb dumbs.  But that's not malevolent or anything. 

You didn't happen to catch her number did you? 

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1