OU Recruiting 2023: Blowing and Going

UDontKnow

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

I did get a Bama buddy of mine to agree yesterday to a bet that if Bama lost, he would get a pole assassin monkey tramp stamp tattoo. Does that count?

I'm tempted to say yes, but that would involve Texas beating Bama, right?  For that reason, I'm going to pursue other options.

Edited by kilroydos
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Huh. I taught for a couple years and never heard of anything like that happening (being fired I mean). The one thing I ever was told on that was- probably not a good idea to start reading a note outloud b/c who knows what's in it, but I suppose such things could happen. It seems like a bad idea to confuse words read with the viewpoint of the reader, and I imagine it was probably a more common practice than it is now.  

Some of the stuff that my 10th grade girls would write and hand in was pretty damn eye opening- and that was 13 years ago.  Can't imagine what it looks like now.  The girls stuff was always worse than the guys btw, as far as inappropriateness goes. I'm not talking about intercepting notes, I really didn't give a damn whether a kid wanted to pay attention or not as long as they weren't distracting others from doing so, I'm talking about stuff that got turned in, for a grade, on free writing prompts/ what you did over the weekend/ tell a story of what you are planning this weekend- shit like that. 

My funniest moment was the class slut telling her friend about having hooking up with some dude she knew.

Girl 1- What did you do?

Girl 2- we hooked up.

Girl 1- where?

Girl 2- in the butt.

if that was in written form reading such a note in front of class would be bad form and for dumb dumbs.  But that's not malevolent or anything. 

Rules.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Idk, if I see the a racial slur in the thing I'm reading, then I don't read that word out loud, especially multiple times so everyone knows I registered it the first time, but that's just me.

Yea, the whole “I read it on accident” thing goes out the window when you say it multiple times. He was being consciously stupid.

13 hours ago, Scholz said:

I'm trying to grasp the "tough guy" comment.  If you don't support racist comments/behavior and tell people to fuck off if they're offended, you're not tough?

FZrfl0GWYAIchB6?format=jpg&name=medium

Yep.  Morons.  Embarrassing.  But this would happen at many schools.  It wouldn’t be as bad at UT and it would be 100x worse at aggy.  Fuck people justifying that behavior, no matter where the hell they’re from.  

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

This is some aggy nonsense

OU has enough tradition that they don't need to resort to this.

But the 1974 OU team was one of the best in college football teams in history. The average score of their games was 43 - 8. Their closest game was a 3 point win over UT, but every other win was 14 points or more. USC, 10-1-1, was named the UPI (Coaches Poll) champion. It was obvious who the best team in the country was that year.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

So they kept the public tailgating zones the same and added more paid zones? Doesn't seen like the worst thing ever.

Objectively, it's not terrible, it's just that most OU fans were hoping for more of a commitment to a fan-focused atmosphere ahead of the SEC move.  

16 hours ago, quigley said:

OU has enough tradition that they don't need to resort to this.

But the 1974 OU team was one of the best in college football teams in history. The average score of their games was 43 - 8. Their closest game was a 3 point win over UT, but every other win was 14 points or more. USC, 10-1-1, was named the UPI (Coaches Poll) champion. It was obvious who the best team in the country was that year.

And in 2008 ou went to the NC over UT despite losing to them head to head. We all know who the better team was that year too. So what if the Horns lost to TT, that should have made the sooner loss to Texas that much worse, not better. Texas didn’t stoop to create a fake trophy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, Scholz said:

The reason there’s tradition however is because Wilkin$on, $witzer and $toops resorted to other things…

They were just ahead of their time, $cholz.  

Wilkin$on, $witzer, $toop$...Venable$. 

LFG!

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Scholz said:

The reason there’s tradition however is because Wilkin$on, $witzer and $toops resorted to other things…

The improprieties punished in 1974 were committed under Fairbank$. If I recall, it was transcript shenanigans for a player that had little to no impact in 1971-72.

The 1974 team was so far ahead of the nation because most of Texas and the SEC hadn't fully embraced integration.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

And in 2008 ou went to the NC over UT despite losing to them head to head. We all know who the better team was that year too. So what if the Horns lost to TT, that should have made the sooner loss to Texas that much worse, not better. Texas didn’t stoop to create a fake trophy. 

I'm not defending the decision, but the trophy is only a totem to acknowledge the greatness of the 1974 team, which won the more widely recognized national championship and was clearly the dominant team that year. Unfortunately, AP national championship doesn't come with a tangible symbol.

Here's the SRS for 1974 (I couldn't find Bill Connelly's 1974 write up). It shows OU's team a massive 5 points ahead of the #2 team (Alabama) and 7 points ahead of the UPI/Coaches poll winner (USC). 2008 Texas was still #3 in SRS and other advanced metrics (reference also below).

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/1974-ratings.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2008-ratings.html

18 minutes ago, quigley said:

I'm not defending the decision, but the trophy is only a totem to acknowledge the greatness of the 1974 team, which won the more widely recognized national championship and was clearly the dominant team that year. Unfortunately, AP national championship doesn't come with a tangible symbol.

Here's the SRS for 1974 (I couldn't find Bill Connelly's 1974 write up). It shows OU's team a massive 5 points ahead of the #2 team (Alabama) and 7 points ahead of the UPI/Coaches poll winner (USC). 2008 Texas was still #3 in SRS and other advanced metrics (reference also below).

1 hour ago, quigley said:

Sounds a lot like you're defending the decision tbh

3 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Truly the bastion of race relations up there

image.jpeg.c8f847cfaafae5aa0148a4486f8eff9d.jpeg

Agreed.  Reading the bad word aloud is bested by allowing black folks to play ball years before others.  Glad you agree $cholz.  Texas has an up and down record on race relations as well.  Both states suck in my expert opinion.  

51 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Agreed.  Reading the bad word aloud is bested by allowing black folks to play ball years before others.  Glad you agree $cholz.  Texas has an up and down record on race relations as well.  Both states suck in my expert opinion.  

Agreed. Oklahoma sucks.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Agreed.  Reading the bad word aloud is bested by allowing black folks to play ball years before others.  

Well to be fair there are other instances of blatant racism at ou this century, Larry Coachelle the baseball coach and your frats off the top of my head.

And I would argue ou’s integration on the football team was more mercenary than altruistic.

Sorry but ou fans bragging about race relations rings a little hollow/disingenuous to me.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Well to be fair there are other instances of blatant racism at ou this century, Larry Coachelle the baseball coach and your frats off the top of my head.

And I would argue ou’s integration on the football team was more mercenary than altruistic.

Sorry but ou fans bragging about race relations rings a little hollow/disingenuous to me.

Yep.  Not bragging.  Just pointing out there was some good with a lot of bad.  I think it’s well known I’ve given more money to support you all/UT athletics vs OU.  Im far from some hardcore lunatic.  

• Hook 'Em 3