OU Recruiting 2023: Blowing and Going

UDontKnow

2 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

this is where sucking for years on end comes back to bite Texas. The kid never had a genuine interest in Texas at all. And while I used to cheer for someone like him to go to A&M instead, it doesn’t really matter to me anymore since both OU and Aggy are likely to be in our annual schedule soon.

Don’t get me wrong, I would have  LOVED for this kid to be interested in the good guys, it doesn’t seem like he is the bestest of fits for our shit defense. Looks like a future DT to me.

Here’s to hoping he’s another Katy area bust. 

Props for being honest…and bestest.  

It's a no-brainer to prefer players going to OU over aggy. Sooners may be known around the world for meth-induced cock worship parties, but at least they have an insanely consistent level of success over the last 80 years or so. 

Aggy on the other hand, just embarrasses the state by dressing up as milkmen and fake soldiers while fucking animals and each other. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Reallocate some funds so we can fucking leave

I want that, my man.  I think the damn funds are there.  There’s games being played - mainly OU and Texas waiting for the big 12 to make enough moves to want us to be gone on their own accord and the new commish isn’t harboring all that hate.  
Regardless, OU and UT needed 1-2 years to get SEC ready imo.  I bitched nonstop about how soft LR teams were.  Wasn’t gonna fly with big boy football.  OU D was putrid.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

It's a no-brainer to prefer players going to OU over aggy. Sooners may be known around the world for meth-induced cock worship parties, but at least they have an insanely consistent level of success over the last 80 years or so. 

Aggy on the other hand, just embarrasses the state by dressing up as milkmen and fake soldiers while fucking animals and each other. 

Going to have to disagree.

Well, not with the aggy part, entirely. They'll always be an embarrassment, but I'd rather the recruit go to 8-4 than providing more resources for the fuckers up north.

That's the difference in all of this. Gargantas profundas del norte wins hardware. The sheep fuckers. Well... they keep fucking that sheep/closest livestock. 

I haven't asked around or anything, but this looks more like the Wiltfong educated guess than having some sort of insight about something imminent. Hicks has always been expected to decide this fall and announce at one of the all star games. His favorites have always been ATM and OU. ATM is loaded on the depth chart and he's going to see young guys playing meaningful snaps with them all season. Or his dad will. So OU is the logical choice since he's leaned that way all cycle. The only thing that could really change that would be OU absolutely sucking, Texas absolutely balling, and Texas beating OU by 1.5x in NIL. 

Texas has a person "on the inside" that could help, but only in the event of the previous situation occurring.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I haven't asked around or anything, but this looks more like the Wiltfong educated guess than having some sort of insight about something imminent. Hicks has always been expected to decide this fall and announce at one of the all star games. His favorites have always been ATM and OU. ATM is loaded on the depth chart and he's going to see young guys playing meaningful snaps with them all season. Or his dad will. So OU is the logical choice since he's leaned that way all cycle. The only thing that could really change that would be OU absolutely sucking, Texas absolutely balling, and Texas beating OU by 1.5x in NIL. 

Texas has a person "on the inside" that could help, but only in the event of the previous situation occurring.

The only way I see us getting back into it is if we come out and have a very strong season led by a disruptive DLine on defense. That is certainly possible, but we would have to have a Mario Cristobal leaving Oregon level of things go right. 

33 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

This spurs a question for me, @ChiTownDoc, @quigley, and @Pdawg88.

What appear to be OU's biggest flaws/holes this season?

There's so much sunshine being pumped this year in Norman that it's the epicenter of global warming.

Dillon Gabriel is an asset because of his experience, but he also had a high rate of turnover-worthy throws at UCF. WR group is relying on contributions from several players with few or no catches. RB have two under-performers from 2021 listed at #1 and #2. OL has had a steady trajectory down from 2017-2018 and breaks in 3 new starters. The defense under-performed last year and lost its best players at each level. 

Not all of these situations are going to go sideways, but there is a path down for OU too. I frankly don't like football that much anymore (takes all day, CTE; basketball, soccer are just more entertaining), but I'm super interested to see how much truth there is to claims being made by Venables and crew.

• Hook 'Em 3

57 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

My first and biggest concern is QB. I’m just not sold on DG. The running backs would be next, although I think Grey could end up being pretty good, I didn’t think Riley used him right. He does better in space on the outside and we kept running him up the middle. Losing Kennedy Brooks will hurt. Receivers will be a wash, losing Williams will hurt. I think some of the guys will have a better year if used correctly. I have us losing two games.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I'm not one of the OU guys but - this group is coached by Jay Valai and Brandon Hall.

Screen-Shot-2022-09-01-at-10-05-56-AM.pn

To me if you look and the 2-deep and their position coaches this group has the most obvious problems. Two coaches who aren't technique guys or even in their best position group (Hall is better with LBs). Sure, getting Fields out by grad transfer and Broiles out by moving Lawrence to S seems like two possible upgrades but I don't know that this staff will be the one to develop Lawrence.  

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, NoName said:

These guys are rivaling A&M fans for the thinnest skin in CFB.

Also crowing about a recruiting class when you are still like 4 months from NSD?

Definitely true, but the loss of a coach to a California school for the reasons Riley outlined hits Oklahoma, the state, with truths that go back decades.

Now OU fans see Riley struggling to recruit relative to Venables' success. It's hard to blame Sooner fans for schadenfreude.

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I'm not one of the OU guys but - this group is coached by Jay Valai and Brandon Hall.

To me if you look and the 2-deep and their position coaches this group has the most obvious problems. Two coaches who aren't technique guys or even in their best position group (Hall is better with LBs). Sure, getting Fields out by grad transfer and Broiles out by moving Lawrence to S seems like two possible upgrades but I don't know that this staff will be the one to develop Lawrence.  

I can't remember which coach said it, but one of them said that OU may try EIGHT cornerbacks. We have depth! (or they all suck)

All of the noise from the secondary this year is about how much they prefer having a coach who knows the position.  Strong shade at Manning, but we will see if the productivity matches their optimism once the K-State and Texas games are done.  KSU has another Lockett on the roster, so I'm expecting some busted coverages chasing small, fast dudes.  

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Screen-Shot-2022-09-01-at-10-05-56-AM.pn

Good take.  

And agree w Quigley and Pdawg above.  My biggest concern is honestly so many new coaches and systems.  

This year we may drop a couple, but imo this entire program is MUCH better off, with these changes, for the SEC grinder.  

And I don’t mean the SEC is that much harder to win games - I mean a fancy offense and porous D is a much better fit in the 12 vs SEC.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, quigley said:

Definitely true, but the loss of a coach to a California school for the reasons Riley outlined hits Oklahoma, the state, with truths that go back decades.

Now OU fans see Riley struggling to recruit relative to Venables' success. It's hard to blame Sooner fans for schadenfreude.

Riley never seemed to me to be a guy who loaded up early on his classes. He always had a consistent flow of commits throughout the year. I am sure, like Texas last season, most top level guys are going to take a wait and see approach. If Riley comes out hot, he is going to have a top 5 class. 

Spoiler: Riley will come out hot. 

It is pretty impressive the way that Venables is recruiting given the circumstances. I just don't buy him or his staff as on field coaches yet. 

Edited by Vertigo

53 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Riley never seemed to me to be a guy who loaded up early on his classes. He always had a consistent flow of commits throughout the year. I am sure, like Texas last season, most top level guys are going to take a wait and see approach. If Riley comes out hot, he is going to have a top 5 class. 

Spoiler: Riley will come out hot. 

It is pretty impressive the way that Venables is recruiting given the circumstances. I just don't buy him or his staff as on field coaches yet. 

Riley never felt like he was able to keep people in the boat.  Every battle went down to the wire, and there were late wins and late losses, but there was always a sense of "when the big guys come calling" looming over each class.  You're seeing it again with Nelson, and even in Caleb Williams kicking around the idea of not following him to SC.  He's probably right in that being at SC protects him from that a little more than at OU, so you might see less of that in the next couple of years if he has sustained success.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

Riley never felt like he was able to keep people in the boat.  Every battle went down to the wire, and there were late wins and late losses, but there was always a sense of "when the big guys come calling" looming over each class.  You're seeing it again with Nelson, and even in Caleb Williams kicking around the idea of not following him to SC.  He's probably right in that being at SC protects him from that a little more than at OU, so you might see less of that in the next couple of years if he has sustained success.

If he wins early, he is going to lock down SoCal pretty easily. There isn't another contender within 1,000 miles of him for that top talent that can offer what USC can. I think Nelson is just driving up NIL prices, but he ultimately ends up at SC. Can you imagine if he flips from USC to A&M to go play for Jimbo fucking Fisher? Give me a break. Riley has multiple Heisman winners at the position as a QB coach. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If he wins early, he is going to lock down SoCal pretty easily. There isn't another contender within 1,000 miles of him for that top talent that can offer what USC can. I think Nelson is just driving up NIL prices, but he ultimately ends up at SC. Can you imagine if he flips from USC to A&M to go play for Jimbo fucking Fisher? Give me a break. Riley has multiple Heisman winners at the position as a QB coach. 

I agree, I think Nelson would be stupid to flip.  I just think it's consistent with Riley that he's having to fight it off or deal with the speculation.  For comparison, you're not hearing those things about Manning or any of the other top committed QBs.

On 9/2/2022 at 5:38 AM, LTtxfan said:

Future quote:

"Wanya's shown so much academic progress in his first couple of weeks of class that he will now be back for B12 action."

-- Berry Tramel

It's important they let him play again.  The SEC may change their mind if we're out here suspending players for academics.  Unacceptable.  We s'posed to be SEC...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

It's important they let him play again.  The SEC may change their mind if we're out here suspending players for academics.  Unacceptable.  We s'posed to be SEC...

I’m just thinking that if the dude is having academic issues at OU, he must not be able to spell his own name or “OU.” Or maybe he refused to buy crayons for his first class. 

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I’m just thinking that if the dude is having academic issues at OU, he must not be able to spell his own name or “OU.” Or maybe he refused to buy crayons for his first class. 

That’s my point.  OU is pretty much on par w most SEC institutions and have you ever heard one of them have an academic suspension?  I don’t think I ever grabbed my OU diploma.  It was before the toilet paper run.  I ended up doing ok though.  

• Haha 1

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

That’s my point.  OU is pretty much on par w most SEC institutions and have you ever heard one of them have an academic suspension?  I don’t think I ever grabbed my OU diploma.  It was before the toilet paper run.  I ended up doing ok though.  

You could have saved the money and wiped with the diploma.

I “bought” a whole stack of them with Best Buy coupons. They’re so shitty, they’ll never clog a toilet. 

• Haha 1