OU Recruiting 2023: Blowing and Going

UDontKnow

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

This isn't the first Texas game that he's attended this season. Hasn't Vasek been testing Venables policy for some time now?

I guess we'll see. This is a big visit weekend for OU commits and targets, and he's in Austin. Not a great look.

Edited by quigley

On 10/15/2022 at 11:56 AM, quigley said:

I guess we'll see. This is a big visit weekend for OU commits and targets, and he's in Austin. Not a great look.

Venables' policy is now apparently that commits can't go on official visits to other schools (eyeroll).

That said, the heartburn OU fans have for Vasek is misplaced.

OU's biggest issues on the DL at 0, 1, and 3 technique, and the Sooners are in jeopardy of missing on their 3 options at those positions: Hicks, Deal and Kayden McDonald. It would be nice if OU keeps Vasek, but I'd trade Vasek for any of the the interior DL options at this point. OU's got Adebawore and shot at Tausili Akana, whose highlight film looks as good as Vasek's.

The Sooners should focus on getting either Deal or McDonald and keep after Akana so they're ready if/when Vasek goes.

Edited by quigley

17 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

Oh for sure.  You've got to love your position with a guy who won't even confirm he's committed still.

It's amazing how poorly Texas handled the beginning of this recruitment. If they land him, I'll laugh, but wow. OU will have truly blown it. 

Also, and totally unrelated to Vacek's recruitment, but if you guys are interested after this season, Texas has a fucking amazing recruiter and LB coach that you guys should go after. His name is Jeff Choate. Please don't pass his name and recommendation off to Venables.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's amazing how poorly Texas handled the beginning of this recruitment. If they land him, I'll laugh, but wow. OU will have truly blown it. 

Also, and totally unrelated to Vacek's recruitment, but if you guys are interested after this season, Texas has a fucking amazing recruiter and LB coach that you guys should go after. His name is Jeff Choate. Please don't pass his name and recommendation off to Venables.

I don't know if I agree completely.  Texas may have whiffed a bit early, but there's not much you can do if a guy wants to see the rest of the country.  Similarly, I don't know that I'd mark OU as blowing it if he ends up at Texas.  It was always going to be a hill to climb to pull a high-priority guy from directly in town who is also getting the hard sell from a famous family all while your own family has season tickets.  Couple that with the huge win in Dallas and the overall good momentum from UT, and it's easy to see how he could slide in that direction.

If OU can't get him back on campus in the next few weeks to at least re-pitch him, then I would definitely consider THAT a huge failure.  

22 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

I don't know if I agree completely.  Texas may have whiffed a bit early, but there's not much you can do if a guy wants to see the rest of the country.  Similarly, I don't know that I'd mark OU as blowing it if he ends up at Texas.  It was always going to be a hill to climb to pull a high-priority guy from directly in town who is also getting the hard sell from a famous family all while your own family has season tickets.  Couple that with the huge win in Dallas and the overall good momentum from UT, and it's easy to see how he could slide in that direction.

If OU can't get him back on campus in the next few weeks to at least re-pitch him, then I would definitely consider THAT a huge failure.  

Reasonable, sure. I guess after NSD folks can talk more about how Texas fucked it up early, but without saying a ton else, it's almost like Texas tried to fuck up the recruitment.

[mention=5205]quigley[/mention] [mention=2051]Constant[/mention] [mention=2289]ChiTownDoc[/mention]
Has anyone in the OU media actually called BV to account for changing his no-visits policy? Even if it’s now no “official visits,” he’s clearly moving the goalposts. Not a great look, and I know a Texas coach would get skewered for it in our media. 

I don’t know what his answer would be, but I can guarantee he’d sound like a prick who puts himself in the Saban/Belichick category while he gives it.
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Chili dog said:

@quigley @Constant @ChiTownDoc

Has anyone in the OU media actually called BV to account for changing his no-visits policy? Even if it’s now no “official visits,” he’s clearly moving the goalposts. Not a great look, and I know a Texas coach would get skewered for it in our media. 

Lol.  That would be the easiest question he would get.  The frying pan is hot for his ass but the program overall isn’t panicking.  Joe C has his reputation for a reason.  Even many here would admit he’s at least among the very best, if not the best.  

But to your question, who cares?  If he changes nothing people would be even more pissed.  

On 8/31/2022 at 1:21 PM, totallynotabuttpirate said:

It's a no-brainer to prefer players going to OU over aggy. Sooners may be known around the world for meth-induced cock worship parties, but at least they have an insanely consistent level of success over the last 80 years or so. 

Aggy on the other hand, just embarrasses the state by dressing up as milkmen and fake soldiers while fucking animals and each other. 

image.gif.083d5314b1f4fe4c34ac8cf6e8d79a54.gif

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Thinks Vasek gone.  May go after aggy DE commit that is friends with Hicks.  Also thinks Akana is a good chance for blOU

Decommits and Flipmas has arrived | Colton Vasek | Anthony Hill | Oklahoma Sooners | OU | thePGshow

Where do you find this stuff? OU's 247 guys blush at this randos homerism.

OU ain't getting uncommitted top defensive talent with the way they're currently playing and without NIL and "pre-NIL". OU staff is throwing out offers to "plan B" guys (still legal ! ). Just keeping their current defensive players would be awesome.

1 hour ago, Constant said:

Now we better hold onto Adebawore and identify a solid replacement to close with. 

I'm still trying to figure out why no one is after this guy. Ohio State loves recruiting that area, but they never even offered the guy. Clemson didn't offer either. Weird stuff.

15 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I'm still trying to figure out why no one is after this guy. Ohio State loves recruiting that area, but they never even offered the guy. Clemson didn't offer either. Weird stuff.

Looking at him for the first time, he seems to be a notch below what an Ohio State or Clemson would go after. Good player, but I dont see that holy shit moment in his highlights.

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Looking at him for the first time, he seems to be a notch below what an Ohio State or Clemson would go after. Good player, but I dont see that holy shit moment in his highlights.

I’m not quite in the market for “holy shit” moments. Just looking for a guy willing to set an edge, not get blown eight yards off the ball, and occasionally get after a quarterback. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Constant said:

Vasek was always going to be an incredible challenge to hold onto. He had every reason under the sun to want to go to UT. I was always shocked he even committed in the first place. Must have been some short lived teenaged rebellion. 

Can't go out and get pumped Five-Goose and expect people to be excited to jump aboard.

18 hours ago, Constant said:

Now we better hold onto Adebawore and identify a solid replacement to close with. 

I wouldn't be surprised if you guys landed Akana. I also wouldn't be very concerned about it as a UT fan. He's not explosive and he's 6'3", 210. Not saying he's a bad prospect or that Texas is off of him, as I don't think the former and I am not sure about the latter. Just not enthused about him generally and logically OU makes the most sense for him now.

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I wouldn't be surprised if you guys landed Akana. I also wouldn't be very concerned about it as a UT fan. He's not explosive and he's 6'3", 210. Not saying he's a bad prospect or that Texas is off of him, as I don't think the former and I am not sure about the latter. Just not enthused about him generally and logically OU makes the most sense for him now.

From reports I heard, the Vasek commitment will make Texas take the foot off the gas for Akana. Between Gullette, Vasek, and Walton, to pair with Burke, Finkley, Tapp, and Swanson, I think they may look to the portal for an upperclass edge guy. 

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

A little over 10%! Wohoo! You have barely made a dent in it.

Wonder how they calculate the ongoing subscribers (1 yr?). Seems like one time donations comprise the majority of the donations.

As predicted, Oklahomans aren't very interested in supporting NIL.

On 11/16/2022 at 6:30 PM, quigley said:

Wonder how they calculate the ongoing subscribers (1 yr?). Seems like one time donations comprise the majority of the donations.

As predicted, Oklahomans aren't very interested in supporting NIL.

Can we just give em a camaro and call it a day?

-Barry Switzer

Edited by Vertigo