OU Recruiting 2023: Blowing and Going

UDontKnow

28 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Got a DL commit yesterday 

Screenshot_20221121-113902_Chrome.jpg

One of those late offers. Has a pretty good offer list and tape. I’m expecting him to be a true nose guard  

His hudl is pretty annoying with the icons.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/12853549/63634688420f97040834fdb8

Edited by Constant

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

OU247 hinting that Rashaad Samples is the leader to be the permanent WR coach 

The Rams are second to last in the NFL in rushing yards. Maybe that has some thing to do with Samples possibly becoming available.

If Brennan Marion becomes the Tulsa head coach, I hope Sark starts a dialogue with Samples.

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

The Rams are second to last in the NFL in rushing yards. Maybe that has some thing to do with Samples possibly becoming available.

If Brennan Marion becomes the Tulsa head coach, I hope Sark starts a dialogue with Samples.

Samples was never a fit in the NFL. His #1 skill is recruiting. He was always going to end up back in the college game. Figured it wouldn’t be this quickly though.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Samples was never a fit in the NFL. His #1 skill is recruiting. He was always going to end up back in the college game. Figured it wouldn’t be this quickly though.

Baffling how Samples passed up an assistant head coach/RB coach position with TCU for the LA Rams. Maybe the allure of being a member of the coaching staff of the reigning Super Bowl champs?? Things would have been quite different for Samples if he chose to stay in Fort Worth instead of going Hollywood.

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Baffling how Samples passed up an assistant head coach/RB coach position with TCU for the LA Rams. Maybe the allure of being a member of the coaching staff of the reigning Super Bowl champs?? Things would have been quite different for Samples if he chose to stay in Fort Worth instead of going Hollywood.

Lmao wut. It was a fucking position coach job at TCU. It’s a no brainer to go coach under McVay and learn his system, and it’s not like Samples will be hurting for a job in college when he goes back. He can easily find a position coach job at a better school than TCU whenever he wants. 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

are you kidding me?

it's a no brainier to take that job with the Rams. 100/100 times he should take it.

13 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Wat Lady GIFs | Tenor

13 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lmao wut. It was a fucking position coach job at TCU. It’s a no brainer to go coach under McVay and learn his system, and it’s not like Samples will be hurting for a job in college when he goes back. He can easily find a position coach job at a better school than TCU whenever he wants. 

2 hours ago, NoName said:

are you kidding me?

it's a no brainier to take that job with the Rams. 100/100 times he should take it.

As other posters have correctly pointed out, Sample's biggest flaw was he actually needed to grow coaching chops. There was no better opportunity to do so than to head the the NFL and learn under a good coach, where he can eat and breathe coaching full time without any other outside responsibilities like recruiting. Plus, you think saying he coached in the NFL at his age won't help his recruiting any further? 

Edited by SydneyCarton
posters, not coaches
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

As other coaches have correctly pointed out, Sample's biggest flaw was he actually needed to grow coaching chops. There was no better opportunity to do so than to head the the NFL and learn under a good coach, where he can eat and breathe coaching full time without any other outside responsibilities like recruiting. Plus, you think saying he coached in the NFL at his age won't help his recruiting any further? 

dude is 27 years old, is addressing the #1 thing that he needs to in his career (coaching chops) and doing it at the NFL level at a really damn good org - it isn't like he is coaching for the Browns or the Texans. McVay already has 4 dudes from his coaching tree as NFL coaches. what's to lose? best case he climbs the coaching tree at the NFL level, spends enough time to get his NFL coaching pension and never has to recruit some dumbass 17 year old again.

worst case is he has to go back and be a position coach for a NCAA team at a better job than TCU. as a reminder the RB coach at Texas A&M is Tommie Robinson. Samples is an upgrade over Robinson in basically every way. who is the RB coach at OU? DeMarco Murray lol. would assume he would be in the mix for Nebraska if he wanted to.

• Hook 'Em 1

Looking like Samples, and M. Kelly are top picks for WR coach. I’d definitely pregame Samples there. His instant recruiting impact would be huge. 

Roof is gone, but I haven’t heard any names on a replacement. 

Edited by Constant

2 hours ago, Constant said:

Looking like Samples, and M. Kelly are top picks for WR coach. I’d definitely pregame Samples there. His instant recruiting impact would be huge. 

I don't want to be the "source?" guy, because I'm woefully without sources myself.  However...this is huge news.  Where are we hearing this?

2 hours ago, Constant said:

should have gone after Kelly from day 1 with the new staff.

3 minutes ago, Constant said:

Nothing more. He made a mistake and was rightly fired for it. And, also rightly, the whole alumni came to his defense. 

The hilarious part is that I see people claiming that having Gundy around would have equated to at least 3-4 fewer losses.  While I think he was generally a plus recruiter and a good guy to have on staff, what exactly do they think a WR coach does?!?

1 minute ago, kilroydos said:

The hilarious part is that I see people claiming that having Gundy around would have equated to at least 3-4 fewer losses.  While I think he was generally a plus recruiter and a good guy to have on staff, what exactly do they think a WR coach does?!?

People really enjoy blaming coaches for player’s mistakes. L. Washington did a fine job this year. He should be proud. The WR group has to take it upon themselves to go make a fucking play. Bottom line. Not a coach in the country thats going to help you get open on 3rd and 7 and make the catch. Its on you. 

2 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Kelly would be the better hire, so I hope y'all end up with Samples.

Aggie people on twitters have said that they are trying to hire Samples as well. Will be interesting to follow.

I prefer Kelly because he would stay longer and develop things deeper. I want Samples because he is a recruiting homerun even though he’d be a hired mercenary that would leave at the next best opportunity. 

21 minutes ago, Constant said:

Nothing more. He made a mistake and was rightly fired for it. And, also rightly, the whole alumni came to his defense. 

Any guesses as to where Cale Gundy will land? I'm sure he's just laying low for the time being (as he probably should as to not draw excess attention to himself).

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Any guesses as to where Cale Gundy will land? I'm sure he's just laying low for the time being (as he probably should as to not draw excess attention to himself).

I haven’t heard anything. I would hope the dust settles for him and he’s able to continue his career. He may also be enjoying retirement and not want to get back into it. 

He’s a good dude that fucked up. He’d be a diamond for anyone willing to give it a shot. 

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

He could go to Auburn. They don't give a fuck what a coach has done.

What's Gundy, when you've got Bruce Pearl and Hugh Freeze as your head coaches?

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Constant said:

This is the best news. Roof made 500k for what? He didn't coach, recruit, or help with game management. He did bring is son over from App St to take a scholarship and get hurt. At least there's been a course correction.

Hopefully they someone innovative.

4 hours ago, quigley said:

This is the best news. Roof made 500k for what? He didn't coach, recruit, or help with game management. He did bring is son over from App St to take a scholarship and get hurt. At least there's been a course correction.

Hopefully they someone innovative.

you can tell Venables didn't learn at the Tom Herman finishing school of hanging on to guys way too long because you can never ever admit you made a mistake.

why didn't he hire someone to fill the WR coach in season vs waiting until now? did he just promote an assistant/analyst?

26 minutes ago, NoName said:

you can tell Venables didn't learn at the Tom Herman finishing school of hanging on to guys way too long because you can never ever admit you made a mistake.

why didn't he hire someone to fill the WR coach in season vs waiting until now? did he just promote an assistant/analyst?

Well, most coaches worth a shit already have jobs at that point. It was in fucking August man. So you're running camp and either trying to find a good but likely retired guy you think you can lure back long term, or a 1 year rental worth a shit. Which is hard. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, most coaches worth a shit already have jobs at that point. It was in fucking August man. So you're running camp and either trying to find a good but likely retired guy you think you can lure back long term, or a 1 year rental worth a shit. Which is hard. 

267x367 

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Constant said:

M. Kelly has turned down the offer, which makes sense for him. Gotta go all in and get Samples in my opinion. Sure he’ll probably jump somewhere else in a couple of years, but we need his flash for a bit. 

Turned down a job at his alma mater to stay at TCU...yikes. Are you paying guys in subway stamp cards now?

• Haha 7

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Turned down a job at his alma mater to stay at TCU...yikes. Are you paying guys in subway stamp cards now?

His ties to OU have been weak over the years. Never really involved in any alumni stuff. Not a surprise he doesn’t want to give up what he’s built there and miss out on the playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Constant said:

M. Kelly has turned down the offer, which makes sense for him. Gotta go all in and get Samples in my opinion. Sure he’ll probably jump somewhere else in a couple of years, but we need his flash for a bit. 

Didn’t Kelly blame Schmidt for his knee problems? I can’t imagine he’d want to be a part of that program with him.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Constant said:

I’m not sure whats truth or rumor but he blames OU for his lackluster pro career. 

From what I recall, at least one of the coaches sandbagged him with scouts around draft time.  Shots about his commitment and effort.  Even if some of those coaches aren't around, I'd imagine that sours the ol' memories.  Also, I think one of them might actually be back, which would almost certainly be a dealbreaker.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1