OU Recruiting 2023: Blowing and Going

UDontKnow

14 hours ago, kilroydos said:

Well it sure isn't going to be Mickey Joseph...holy hell.

6 hours ago, bEastTexas said:

Let’s not get revisionist history and act like OU hasn’t welcomed many women beaters with open arms. 

No doubt. It almost looks like Mickey is eyeing a coaching vacancy at OU and needed a resume enhancement. 

On 12/3/2022 at 11:25 AM, quigley said:

Harrison is a major loss. The other two are more potential than production.

Harrison could play his way into a day 1 guy next year if he came back. I understand why he’s leaving, but he’s leaving some money on the table. He was really getting consistent towards the end of the year there. Probably a 3rd round guy at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

SIXTH year senior who's never played a meaningful down (unless you call field unit meaningful). Should've been asked to leave in 2021.

1 minute ago, Constant said:

What a disappointment his career has been. How he never developed into a 1st round LT is beyond me. He really only played special teams. 

You said it nicer than me. I think he just got too fat to move.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

this + his coaching staff (DeMarco Murray is still on staff there btw, Jay Valai as co DC?, i thought  Roof get fired but can't find anything saying that?) + the visits policy + his general asshole-ness isn't going to do really well for him.

in general, shitting on dudes when you don't have to never is a good look.

• Hook 'Em 1

Agreed.  He's not Deion coming into a brand new situation and putting everyone on notice like Baldwin doing a favor for Mitch and Murray.  These are ostensibly his guys that the staff spent almost a year trying to coach and mentor.  We all know that some level of processing happens, but who does this comment help?  Is it directed towards fans? Players still on the team?  Potential transfers in?

1 hour ago, kilroydos said:

Agreed.  He's not Deion coming into a brand new situation and putting everyone on notice like Baldwin doing a favor for Mitch and Murray.  These are ostensibly his guys that the staff spent almost a year trying to coach and mentor.  We all know that some level of processing happens, but who does this comment help?  Is it directed towards fans? Players still on the team?  Potential transfers in?

Skip to 5:13.

It’s a response to a question on how the portal guys will effect the team’s ability to prepare for the bowl game. He’s plainly saying no one that is currently in the portal is going to have much an impact on how the team looks at the bowl game. It’s not as scathing as it seems. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Constant said:

It’s a response to a question on how the portal guys will effect the team’s ability to prepare for the bowl game. He’s plainly saying no one that is currently in the portal is going to have much an impact on how the team looks at the bowl game. It’s not as scathing as it seems. 

It being specifically about bowl prep is slightly different.  I know that saying they "did not contribute" in a meaningful way is true, but why say it?  Is he reassuring the fan base about how entertaining the fucking Cheez-It bowl will be?  It comes across as defensive and combative when it's an easy thing to answer.  You wish the guys well who are prepping for the draft, and you say there are people looking for opportunities elsewhere that are still "your guys" who you will root for unless they line up across the field in the future.  You're excited for the team to get to bowl prep and get ahead for next year.

It's not Jimbo-level bad, but it's weird.

3 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

It being specifically about bowl prep is slightly different.  I know that saying they "did not contribute" in a meaningful way is true, but why say it?  Is he reassuring the fan base about how entertaining the fucking Cheez-It bowl will be?  It comes across as defensive and combative when it's an easy thing to answer.  You wish the guys well who are prepping for the draft, and you say there are people looking for opportunities elsewhere that are still "your guys" who you will root for unless they line up across the field in the future.  You're excited for the team to get to bowl prep and get ahead for next year.

It's not Jimbo-level bad, but it's weird.

cuz he's a fucking asshole....

• Haha 1

OU had the formula all worked out. Sure, Stoops was a hardass, but he was a terrific coach and he could get you to the league (and if you weren’t a league prospect, you’d still fall in line because there was such a penalty for transferring). Oklahoma, the state, doesn’t have enough talent, but they could recruit Texas (in the B12, they had 2-3 games in Texas each year). Their main rival declined to participate in bidding wars, so they always had an extra recruiting “tactic” if they needed it. 

Going into the SEC, they’ll have 1-2 games per year in Texas. Every other SEC team will have 2 games in Texas every four years. All of their rivals are now fine with bidding wars (and the old SEC schools are very experienced in them). 

Hardass coaches don’t last in the NFL because the players don’t have to put up with that shit. Now, FBS has even fewer restrictions on mobility than the NFL! You have to wonder how much the Okies have thought this through. 

1 minute ago, statsman said:

OU had the formula all worked out. Sure, Stoops was a hardass, but he was a terrific coach and he could get you to the league (and if you weren’t a league prospect, you’d still fall in line because there was such a penalty for transferring). Oklahoma, the state, doesn’t have enough talent, but they could recruit Texas (in the B12, they had 2-3 games in Texas each year). Their main rival declined to participate in bidding wars, so they always had an extra recruiting “tactic” if they needed it. 

Going into the SEC, they’ll have 1-2 games per year in Texas. Every other SEC team will have 2 games in Texas every four years. All of their rivals are now fine with bidding wars (and the old SEC schools are very experienced in them). 

Hardass coaches don’t last in the NFL because the players don’t have to put up with that shit. Now, FBS has even fewer restrictions on mobility than the NFL! You have to wonder how much the Okies have thought this through. 

He has a better recruiting class than Riley ever had.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Constant said:

What is this based on? My Sooner family was claiming same line but it’s not true based on anything I’ve seen. The 19 class with rattler and a bunch of WRs was absolutely a better class (on paper) especially if you consider they picked up Hurts as a transfer as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, ChemicalHorn said:

What is this based on? My Sooner family was claiming same line but it’s not true based on anything I’ve seen. The 19 class with rattler and a bunch of WRs was absolutely a better class (on paper) especially if you consider they picked up Hurts as a transfer as well.

2019 class:

54D6142E-D30B-4A79-B64F-A709B1D028EC.thumb.jpeg.c0f891ff75111b91148ec5cb8b80c155.jpeg

Which has produced three contributors to this years team. The rest have transferred out, flamed out, robbed people, and two have made the NFL. 

2023 class: 

E2385446-221D-48EB-AE7C-95516D31078D.thumb.jpeg.25c9887569a1ca31ef76bcb3b0032c2a.jpeg

This is with a few weeks left with and a few more 4 and 5 stars to be added. 

Obviously this is all very subjective and class rankings don’t necessarily mean shit. But, he is holding his own just fine. His players love him, the recruits listen to him, and their families like him. There is a lot of wishful thinking thrown around. 

Edited by Constant
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, ChemicalHorn said:

I think it is based on revisionist history. As if Riley wasn’t personally responsible for the #3, #1, #1, and #2 finishers in heisman voting over four consecutive years (and a fifth finalist this yr). The mental gymnastics they go through to diminish Riley and pump Venables really is a spectacle unto itself. We’ll see if Lebby can get Arnold to that level, but the fact of the matter is that qb is the most important position in the game, and in seven years, Riley has produced five heisman finalists at that position, and is yet to lose more than two games in a season. I’d say that is pretty fucking unique. OU fans still seem to think they won the trade though..which is great for Texas.

After reading the post below—yep, it’s revisionist history. The ‘19 class actually sucked because nobody panned out, but I’m sure every member of the ‘23 class is going to show up, show out, never get in trouble, never transfer, and ultimately wind up on an nfl roster in five years because BV is a really swell guy and everybody likes him a lot more than “LiaR”. Did I get that right?

• Hook 'Em 5

42 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Thats a unique situation. For that one, I could post 10 of these:

24 minutes ago, SamMan said:

I think it is based on revisionist history. As if Riley wasn’t personally responsible for the #3, #1, #1, and #2 finishers in heisman voting over four consecutive years (and a fifth finalist this yr). The mental gymnastics they go through to diminish Riley and pump Venables really is a spectacle unto itself. We’ll see if Lebby can get Arnold to that level, but the fact of the matter is that qb is the most important position in the game, and in seven years, Riley has produced five heisman finalists at that position, and is yet to lose more than two games in a season. I’d say that is pretty fucking unique. OU fans still seem to think they won the trade though..which is great for Texas.

After reading the post below—yep, it’s revisionist history. The ‘19 class actually sucked because nobody panned out, but I’m sure every member of the ‘23 class is going to show up, show out, never get in trouble, never transfer, and ultimately wind up on an nfl roster in five years because BV is a really swell guy and everybody likes him a lot more than “LiaR”. Did I get that right?

No, you got none of that right. 

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

OU is going to get a higher ranked class than 2019 if they get like one more three star. Look at the point score. It's not some wild assertion.

I recognized that. My point was that he further qualified the statement by pointing out how poorly the ‘19 class performed after the fact. 
But you are right, it certainly was not a wild assertion to say the ‘23 class will be better. I didn’t mean to imply that it was preposterous, only that their fans seem to want to devalue Riley’s achievements during his time in Norman out of spite for the way things ended. The class is good and I think they have done about as well as anybody could have hoped for in Venables’ first full cycle. The hagiography is a bit much though.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Constant said:

OU composite classes - last 5 years:

• 23 (currently) - 7
  • 22 - 8
  • 21 - 10 (16 commits, small class)
  • 20 - 13
  • 19 - 6
  • 18 - 9
  • 17 - 8

Riley average class was 9.2 and he had the #6 class in 2019, which is higher than the #7 class OU has today.

14 hours ago, Constant said:

Obviously this is all very subjective and class rankings don’t necessarily mean shit. But, he is holding his own just fine. His players love him, the recruits listen to him, and their families like him. There is a lot of wishful thinking thrown around. 

not comparing them 1:1 but you know who else was beloved by players, recruits and their families?

tiger_cubs.0.jpg

funny enough he went 6-6 during regular season in his first year as well, losing to OU (or Texas in your case), got the doors blown off him by TCU on the road, both beat Iowa State, Ok State, Kansas and a non P5 Texas Team (North Texas and UTEP for each team)

not saying he isn't fine and won't be just great but BV absolutely had a tough year 1. he's going to get a few years because you all have a really good and strong AD.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Most coaches have the tact not to kick the kids in the balls on their way out the door. What an asshole.

Definitely more evidence along the lines of BV is a fragile ego'd lil bitch.

On 12/2/2022 at 8:05 PM, Constant said:
Nice to see. 

image.png.ef49dcc8766a20453990775cfd72d728.png

Yet another red flag about this kid.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NoName said:

OU composite classes - last 5 years:

• 23 (currently) - 7
  • 22 - 8
  • 21 - 10 (16 commits, small class)
  • 20 - 13
  • 19 - 6
  • 18 - 9
  • 17 - 8

Riley average class was 9.2 and he had the #6 class in 2019, which is higher than the #7 class OU has today.

Riley's classes were heavy on blue chip offensive skill guys.  Take those out and his classes were very average.

18 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Riley's classes were heavy on blue chip offensive skill guys.  Take those out and his classes were very average.

i know math is hard, and the current class will probably slightly pass it but 6 is a better number for your class to be ranked than 7.

this isn't you specifically but lots of OU fans are out here celebrating the recruiting and ignoring the final record. trust me, we have spent a decade there. when you are at that point it isn't good.

57 minutes ago, NoName said:

i know math is hard, and the current class will probably slightly pass it but 6 is a better number for your class to be ranked than 7.

this isn't you specifically but lots of OU fans are out here celebrating the recruiting and ignoring the final record. trust me, we have spent a decade there. when you are at that point it isn't good.

Jesus. Where the class falls in relation to all other schools is not the measurement. The 24/7 composite average is higher on the ‘23 class than the ‘19 class with two less commitments so far- with more to add. 

91.89 > 91.20 already.