OU Recruiting 2023: Blowing and Going

UDontKnow

TFB on Bowen:

Spoiler

Yeah, other places put Peyton Bowen in a bad spot with their ‘sourced timelines’ and such. Bowen has told us, repeatedly, that he is committed to ND until he isn’t and he wanted to see places and games and such. He never told CJ or I hat the had any ‘date’ in mind. When someone puts an artificial timeline on events, and talks about it for weeks, people expect to hear something and then are disappointed when nothing happens. When nothing happens, they set another ‘sourced timeline’ and rinse and repeat.

Nothing has changed in our minds, we still believe he ends up a Sooner. Whether that is signing day or before it, we don’t know and at this point we aren’t asking him.

I expect him to be a Sooner. If he’s not, I was wrong. But I can assure you that other places made this recruitment more drama filled than it has been. The kid and his family are just going about their business.

1 hour ago, Constant said:

TFB on Bowen:

Hide contents

Yeah, other places put Peyton Bowen in a bad spot with their ‘sourced timelines’ and such. Bowen has told us, repeatedly, that he is committed to ND until he isn’t and he wanted to see places and games and such. He never told CJ or I hat the had any ‘date’ in mind. When someone puts an artificial timeline on events, and talks about it for weeks, people expect to hear something and then are disappointed when nothing happens. When nothing happens, they set another ‘sourced timeline’ and rinse and repeat.

Nothing has changed in our minds, we still believe he ends up a Sooner. Whether that is signing day or before it, we don’t know and at this point we aren’t asking him.

I expect him to be a Sooner. If he’s not, I was wrong. But I can assure you that other places made this recruitment more drama filled than it has been. The kid and his family are just going about their business.

I haven't really paid much attention to the commits this year, but having a top 10 recruiting class with only 4 recruits from Texas is both legit and concerning (for OU) at the same time. Did TCUs rise fuck you guys in DFW?

10 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I haven't really paid much attention to the commits this year, but having a top 10 recruiting class with only 4 recruits from Texas is both legit and concerning (for OU) at the same time. Did TCUs rise fuck you guys in DFW?

guessing it is Venables recruiting more nationally and less in TX - State of Texas has 36 recruits in the top 200 composite. had 31 in 2022 and 32 in 2021.

• 2023: 7 total from Texas and Oklahoma (of 23)
  • 2022: 11 total from Texas and Oklahoma (of 22)
  • 2021: 8 total from Texas and Oklahoma (of 16)
  • 2020: 14 total from Texas and Oklahoma (of 23)

I assume the Oklahoma number goes with how good the top of the class is for OK as it ebbs and flows? any of the OU folks know if there is specifically less of a focus on Texas this year?

9 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Is Riley not a good recruiter? Venables is doing better than him at OU and he was in the playoff multiple times. Even with USC he’s not in the top 10.

With some smoke and mirrors he looks like a great recruiter. You get down in the thick of it and its a trail of disasters one after another. 

He's built a good reputation on the defensive side of the ball, and is hoping Lebby and Bedenbaugh will attract quality on the offensive side.  So far, it's worked halfway, but this class is nearly as defense-heavy as Riley's classes were offense-heavy.

Aside from Arnold, Green, Pettaway, and maybe J. Johnson, they're not getting the absolute top-flight dudes on offense.  They need help with RB and WR recruiting in a big way, and Bedenbaugh has some reputation to rebuild.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, kilroydos said:

He's built a good reputation on the defensive side of the ball, and is hoping Lebby and Bedenbaugh will attract quality on the offensive side.  So far, it's worked halfway, but this class is nearly as defense-heavy as Riley's classes were offense-heavy.

Aside from Arnold, Green, Pettaway, and maybe J. Johnson, they're not getting the absolute top-flight dudes on offense.  They need help with RB and WR recruiting in a big way, and Bedenbaugh has some reputation to rebuild.

Between recruiting and how the season unfolded, Lebby is not a $2 million dollar OC. He has a lot of work to do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

You're telling me the guy that has never worked without an offensive mastermind as his boss is adrift by himself? Weird.

It certainly wasn’t pretty at times. Chunks of potential but not having a backup QB that can throw a forward pass, and clock management that cost two wins are unforgivable. 

Edited by Constant
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, utexas8 said:

Is Riley not a good recruiter? Venables is doing better than him at OU and he was in the playoff multiple times. Even with USC he’s not in the top 10.

Riley was and is a great recruiter of offensive skill guys but past that, very average for some reason.  Buncha 3 stars with the occasional 4 stars but would have 5 star QB's literally lined up to play.

First year bump

I know that part for Venables. We’ve seen it plenty here. I’m specifically talking about Riley. OU has a better class than USC right now. USC should be like texas and sell itself. And they’re actually good. I remember his classes at OU too. Top ten maybe just outside and we’ve always had better even with our losing seasons. Lol. I mean of course UT > OU. I guess I find it weird he’s not more in the top 5-7 range for recruiting classes.

3 hours ago, utexas8 said:

I know that part for Venables. We’ve seen it plenty here. I’m specifically talking about Riley. OU has a better class than USC right now. USC should be like texas and sell itself. And they’re actually good. I remember his classes at OU too. Top ten maybe just outside and we’ve always had better even with our losing seasons. Lol. I mean of course UT > OU. I guess I find it weird he’s not more in the top 5-7 range for recruiting classes.

Lincoln Riley is a more ruthless version of John Mackovic. He focuses all of his time and energy on offense and offensive recruiting. He's going to stack his talent towards the offensive side of the ball. Defense is a fucking nuisance to him, just the thing that delays him from having his offense back out on the field. They're never going to emphasize the defensive side of the roster and they're never going to play tough. He'll talk about those things, and he'll be full of shit as always. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Lincoln Riley is a more ruthless version of John Mackovic. He focuses all of his time and energy on offense and offensive recruiting. He's going to stack his talent towards the offensive side of the ball. Defense is a fucking nuisance to him, just the thing that delays him from having his offense back out on the field. They're never going to emphasize the defensive side of the roster and they're never going to play tough. He'll talk about those things, and he'll be full of shit as always. 

Modern day Don Coryell.

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

You're telling me the guy that has never worked without an offensive mastermind as his boss is adrift by himself? Weird.

You're telling me you didn't read the skepticism that several OU fans here had about Lebby.

@kilroydos, as I remember, and I were definitively against it, and I remember @Constant  being lukewarm. I can't remember @ChiTownDoc 's position.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, kilroydos said:

Bedenbaugh's OLs have generally improved throughout the season. The 2019 OU OL was good, but it wasn't better by the end of the year. 2000 and 2021 were flat out mediocre beginning to end.

The 2022 Sooner OL did get better throughout the year. Problem is, OU's losing 4 out of 5 starters from that line. 2023 is going to be a pivotal year for Bednebaugh. It looks like he's getting back to his preferred style of recruiting TEs and letting S&C bulk them up into OL. Hopefully, it starts to pay dividends next year.

8 hours ago, utexas8 said:

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

In his four high school recruiting classes at OU, Riley took 39 offensive players and 47 defensive players (numbers below). He was certainly willing to throw numbers towards building a better defense. He also was willing to slow his offensive to protect his defense.

I propose an alternative explanation for Riley's unbalanced success. His offensive success attracts better offensive players who create more great offenses, a virtuous cycle. His defensive coaching hires have sucked at recruiting and developing players so it creates a vicious cycle. Riley could still care about defense but just have the wrong defensive coaches.

offense    defense
2018    10        13
2019    11        13
2020    12        11
2021     6        10

Doesn't include portal players. But as readers here know, there were fewer back then and databases are incomplete.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, quigley said:

You're telling me you didn't read the skepticism that several OU fans here had about Lebby.

@kilroydos, as I remember, and I were definitively against it, and I remember @Constant  being lukewarm. I can't remember @ChiTownDoc 's position.

I can’t either.  Fuck OU. Fuck Texas.  

• Haha 2

Spoiler

We still have OU for Akana and Bowen and feel like Strong is leaning OU but we have not confirmed that on his side.

I mean I could write that again for y’all…but seems kind of silly and redundant and hedgy. 

If Bowen signs with ND, we were wrong, and hedging our bet tonight will not change that and this community doesn’t deserve that, same as If Akana signs somewhere other than OU, we were wrong. 

I will say if I COULD hedge on Akana I would but I don’t have enough info to actually hedge him to somewhere else as we don’t believe Texas is leading. The weekend NIL visits bother me with Akana (Louisville and Colorado) but the only solid intel we have is him and OU as we reported a couple weeks ago,

If Bowen signs with ND, I will be surprised. Not shocked, but surprised. The Oregon deal with him was clickbait art though and just nonsense.

TFB on some questions for tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, Constant said:
  Hide contents

We still have OU for Akana and Bowen and feel like Strong is leaning OU but we have not confirmed that on his side.

I mean I could write that again for y’all…but seems kind of silly and redundant and hedgy. 

If Bowen signs with ND, we were wrong, and hedging our bet tonight will not change that and this community doesn’t deserve that, same as If Akana signs somewhere other than OU, we were wrong. 

I will say if I COULD hedge on Akana I would but I don’t have enough info to actually hedge him to somewhere else as we don’t believe Texas is leading. The weekend NIL visits bother me with Akana (Louisville and Colorado) but the only solid intel we have is him and OU as we reported a couple weeks ago,

If Bowen signs with ND, I will be surprised. Not shocked, but surprised. The Oregon deal with him was clickbait art though and just nonsense.

TFB on some questions for tomorrow. 

It's hilarious to see ou mods bitching about NIL when ou has been paying players for years.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1