OU Recruiting 2023: Blowing and Going

UDontKnow

2 minutes ago, Constant said:

I get it. I’m still excited about that kid. He’s the kinda player I wanted to be in high school, but I was probably half as fast. 

He’s small, but that isn’t as much a barrier to being elite anymore.

Agree with the size part. Marquis Brown was probably the same height and probably lighter. One of the problems with Freeman is that he isn't fast. I mean, 11.4 100m is WAY FASTER than I ever was, but OU has to LB-types (Kanak and Rowe) who run about a second faster. Welker wasn't blazing either though, right, but Welker had ridiculous short area quickness. I can't find any any public data on this for Freeman.

My high school team played HH in basketball. They smoked us and lived up to their rep as rich asshole kids.

22 hours ago, quigley said:

Agree with the size part. Marquis Brown was probably the same height and probably lighter. One of the problems with Freeman is that he isn't fast. I mean, 11.4 100m is WAY FASTER than I ever was, but OU has to LB-types (Kanak and Rowe) who run about a second faster. Welker wasn't blazing either though, right, but Welker had ridiculous short area quickness. I can't find any any public data on this for Freeman.

My high school team played HH in basketball. They smoked us and lived up to their rep as rich asshole kids.

Welker existed in a rarefied air with guys like Steve Largent and Wes Chandler.  No one knows exactly how they managed to do what they did, but they are part of why we bring unicorns into contemporary discussions.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Welker existed in a rarefied air with guys like Steve Largent and Wes Chandler.  No one knows exactly how they managed to do what they did, but they are part of why we bring unicorns into contemporary discussions.

I think Largent and Chandler were a lot better than Welker (do you agree?).

But I think we agree on the overall point: It's SUPER rare to be awesome without awesome physical gifts so this PWO's got a tough road.

I think Welker was great but also fortunate. Welker had elite short area quickness and route running. He was also an Air Raid slot WR early in the history of the offense with a good college QB (Kingsbury). He obviously paired with a great QB in the League.

Interestingly, there is another small WR in Oklahoma in the 2023 class that has offers from LSU, Bama, A&M, Arkansas (not OU  or OkSt though). But this guy can burn--10.65 100m. https://247sports.com/player/cole-adams-46115174/

34 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

I don’t know, if I look at our WR development over the past 10 years, I can’t be too mad at him going for the shiny new coach.  /broken record   

I don’t why people say that on this site. I know players think like that, but they are mostly young and dumb. There is nobody on the 40 with 10 years experience, unless we are talking about a receptionist and she didn’t run many WR drills. I really don’t have many doubts that a Sark/Marion offense can develop WRs. I see no reason to propagate lazy thought 

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

I don’t why people say that on this site. I know players think like that, but they are mostly young and dumb. There is nobody on the 40 with 10 years experience, unless we are talking about a receptionist and she didn’t run many WR drills. I really don’t have many doubts that a Sark/Marion offense can develop WRs. I see no reason to propagate lazy thought 

You’re mistaking a rivals recruiting slant as my personal opinion which is only that we have been very inconsistent in developing WRs for many different reasons.

Unfortunately we have the history and numbers right now that make that argument for them. I think the future looks brighter than it has in years, so thats why everyone else in concerned with getting kids to look backwards 

42 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

All OU has to say is come here and be the next Ceedee Lamb or Marquise Brown or go to Texas and waste away

I get that, but it is actually a ridiculous statement. Cale Grundy has had far more success coaching RBs than WRs. Offensively OU is pretty much a new staff, outside of Bedenbaugh and Murray. Bedenbaugh is legit and Murray has been a question mark. This isn’t a Saban situation where the Head coach has consistently put players into the league, despite large coaching turnover. It’s really shouldn’t be that hard to counter, but I am putting my faith in group of people generally best described as over-paid gym teachers 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I get that, but it is actually a ridiculous statement. Cale Grundy has had far more success coaching RBs than WRs. Offensively OU is pretty much a new staff, outside of Bedenbaugh and Murray. Bedenbaugh is legit and Murray has been a question mark. This isn’t a Saban situation where the Head coach has consistently put players into the league, despite large coaching turnover. It’s really shouldn’t be that hard to counter, but I am putting my faith in group of people generally best described as over-paid gym teachers 

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

All OU has to say is come here and be the next Ceedee Lamb or Marquise Brown or go to Texas and waste away

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

You’re mistaking a rivals recruiting slant as my personal opinion which is only that we have been very inconsistent in developing WRs for many different reasons.

Unfortunately we have the history and numbers right now that make that argument for them. I think the future looks brighter than it has in years, so thats why everyone else in concerned with getting kids to look backwards 

OU's WR recruiting and development have been wildly inconsistent. Dennis Simmons basically only recruited in odd-numbered years. If you look at guys Simmons "developed," it's Lamb, Brown, Mims (who did less last year), and Westbrook (who he didn't recruit, but who did get better while at OU). That's 4, but the denominator is 19. And many of the highly touted WR under-performed. Rambo, Mykel Jones, 3 2019 guys are all 4+ stars who wouldn't get drafted based on OU production. I, for one, was wondering if Simmons deserved to keep his job.

Add to that the narrative that veer-and-shoot WR don't know how to run routes and Sark's association with incredible WR at Bama, UT should be able to argue against OU for WRs.

• Hook 'Em 2

OU had a DB medically retire yesterday (got his degree and will become a GA).

https://247sports.com/player/jeremiah-criddell-46038115/

With Criddell's retirement, OU still has 18 DB on the roster out of a total of 45 defensive players. So there's going to be some guys who are processed this spring. Anticipate attrition from the DB (3-4) and DE (2-3). OU was definitely DT-shopping so I wouldn't be surprised to see 1-2 depart from here too. LB is probably good.

I know that you're all very concerned about the numbers and also don't want to jump to conclusions about Venables/Valai/Schmidt losing players so I thought I'd provide some context a priori.

1 hour ago, quigley said:

OU's WR recruiting and development have been wildly inconsistent. Dennis Simmons basically only recruited in odd-numbered years. If you look at guys Simmons "developed," it's Lamb, Brown, Mims (who did less last year), and Westbrook (who he didn't recruit, but who did get better while at OU). That's 4, but the denominator is 19. And many of the highly touted WR under-performed. Rambo, Mykel Jones, 3 2019 guys are all 4+ stars who wouldn't get drafted based on OU production. I, for one, was wondering if Simmons deserved to keep his job.

Add to that the narrative that veer-and-shoot WR don't know how to run routes and Sark's association with incredible WR at Bama, UT should be able to argue against OU for WRs.

You’re very accurate and honest and I mostly agree with your assessment. cheers to you for that. 
What I was discussing is more a matter of salesmanship. OU had big name players light it up on stage. You can try and make excuses  because, say, a teams OL sucked so their decent QB got knocked around all season and all the WR numbers kinda shitty even though they improved as a unit.
“Those are just excuses, look at the tape, etc... “

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

So Drumm put together a full 2023 class prediction piece on *checks calendar* March 21st. I will spare you all the fluff he put in (he also included a confidence with each pick 1-10):

1. 4-star QB Jackson Arnold (9 of 10)

2. 4-star RB Tre Wisner (7 of 10)

3. 4-star WR Ashton Cozart (9.5 of 10)

4. 4-star WR Mikal Harrison-Pilot (4 of 10)

5. 4-star WR Kyle Kasper (3 of 10)

6. Juco WR Malik Benson (4 of 10)

7. 4-star OL Joshua Bates (didn't list a confidence but he's a commit)

8. 4-star OL Cayden Green (7 of 10)

9. 4-star Markis Deal (4 of 10)

10. 4-star Miles McVay (4.5 of 10)

11. 4-star DL Derrick LeBlanc (6.5 of 10)

12. 4-star DL Bai Jobe (7 of 10)

13. 4-star DL Kayden McDonald (7 of 10)

14. 4-star DL PJ Adebawore (7 of 10)

15. 4-star DL Jordan Renaud (8 of 10)

16. 5-star LB Anthony Hill (didn't list a confidence lol)

17. 3-star LB S'Maje Burrell (also didn't list a confidence lol)

18. 4-star DB Jacobe Johnson (8 of 10)

19. 4-star DB Dijon Johnson (3 of 10 lol)

20. 4-star ATH Micah Tease (doesn't list a confidence and also says that Tease is hesitant with OU. So not sure why Drumm even included him)

21. 3-star DB Samuel Omosigho (4.5 of 10)

22. 3-star Erik McCarty (no confidence listed but is a commit)

TLDR; Drumm has them penciled in for a top 5 class! Something OU hasn't done since 2010.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, texifornia said:

What a strange strange graphic

These are the key issues that have kept OU from reaching the final rung on the ladder. Nice work Brent. Also, you may want to do something about the strawberry shortcake in the cafeteria. Whip cream or GTFO. 

• Hook 'Em 1

These are the key issues that have kept OU from reaching the final rung on the ladder. Nice work Brent. Also, you may want to do something about the strawberry shortcake in the cafeteria. Whip cream or GTFO. 

Too bad they didn’t do this a few years ago. Imagine cute little kyler in a suit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Do you think that the football players all crammed cash in their uniforms, just in case an ice cream truck showed up to practice? Or did somebody else buy them for them, which would quite likely be an impermissible benefit?

Edited by Hornlover

Do you think that the football players all crammed cash in their uniforms, just in case an ice cream truck showed up to practice? Or did somebody else buy them for them, which would quite likely be an impermissible benefit?

Yep. You should call the NCAA about this egregious violation of rules. Free ice cream?!?! This will not stand!

All-Time QB  😋

"As for the game, Gabriel played well in his Oklahoma debut. In a touching tribute to all those games you played with your friends growing up, Gabriel played the role of all-time QB for most of the afternoon and completed 19 of 28 passes for 250 yards and a touchdown. He also showed excellent mobility in the pocket behind an offensive line whose performance was spotty."

Edited by LTtxfan

I'm beginning to notice a theme when I venture over to the OU 247 site to see what's going on with their recruiting. The mods love to put in crystal ball predictions for 2024 kids after visits and always have great quotes of 2024 kids saying OU is their leader. Very little movement with 2023 kids. The policy that Venables is trying to enforce about not being able to take visits if you are committed to OU has forced them to say no to several kids in the 2023 and 2024 class already. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I'm beginning to notice a theme when I venture over to the OU 247 site to see what's going on with their recruiting. The mods love to put in crystal ball predictions for 2024 kids after visits and always have great quotes of 2024 kids saying OU is their leader. Very little movement with 2023 kids. The policy that Venables is trying to enforce about not being able to take visits if you are committed to OU has forced them to say no to several kids in the 2023 and 2024 class already. 

23' class currently has four commits.  Guyer QB is propping up the class average with other three being Ashton Cozart and two mid-3*'s.  I'm not sure who they are in a good spot with, but figure Venables will land a few high rated defensive players.

All-Time QB 
"As for the game, Gabriel played well in his Oklahoma debut. In a touching tribute to all those games you played with your friends growing up, Gabriel played the role of all-time QB for most of the afternoon and completed 19 of 28 passes for 250 yards and a touchdown. He also showed excellent mobility in the pocket behind an offensive line whose performance was spotty."

One TD in 28 passing attempts.

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

23' class currently has four commits.  Guyer QB is propping up the class average with other three being Ashton Cozart and two mid-3*'s.  I'm not sure who they are in a good spot with, but figure Venables will land a few high rated defensive players.

They had Tre Wisner penciled into their class for months and he's off the board now. 

I'm sure they will end up with a class in the top 15 or whatever but I just don't think what Venables is trying to do in recruiting is sustainable in today's world where kids have all the power.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

They had Tre Wisner penciled into their class for months and he's off the board now. 

I'm sure they will end up with a class in the top 15 or whatever but I just don't think what Venables is trying to do in recruiting is sustainable in today's world where kids have all the power.

Venables strutting around the field with a microphone is reminiscent of a mega-church pastor in a Dabo-"Good Christian kids" way. The policy on commitments being FINAL-FULL-STOP is a very risk, tangible part of this.

What Venables has said he wants is guys with good physical tools and smarts and mostly, "uncommon effort" (his mantra). We're going to learn if he can collect enough of these guys using this strategy. OU's going to have multiple NIL groups plus an attractive offense and defense so the resources are going to be there for him to be successful.

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Pastor V will obviously stop recruiting Tre since he's now committed...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Pastor V will obviously stop recruiting Tre since he's now committed...

Good point. I think they've explicitly stated that they'll continue to recruit guys committed to other schools. I see the hypocrisy, but they're rationale is that OU is holding is that other schools don't view commitment in the formal meaning of the word so it's OK to try to poach commits.

Edited by quigley

5 hours ago, quigley said:

Good point. I think they've explicitly stated that they'll continue to recruit guys committed to other schools. I see the hypocrisy, but they're rationale is that OU is holding is that other schools don't view commitment in the formal meaning of the word so it's OK to try to poach commits.

Ooph. Even when you factor in a Sooner’s tenuous grasp of the English language, using “rationale” in that context is still a huge stretch. 

12 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ooph. Even when you factor in a Sooner’s tenuous grasp of the English language, using “rationale” in that context is still a huge stretch. 

What that imbecile lacks in language and reasoning skills, he makes up for in volume and hypocrisy. He's a perfect example of making good use of the ignore function.

• blacklab changed the title to OU Recruiting 2023: Blowing and Going