Pancho gets pulled over by a Lafayette, LA narcotics officer

Pancho

Are you sure this was Lafayette, La and not Wise County, Tx? Seriously, that sounds exactly like a stop on 287. I bet you passed a plate reader somewhere and that car had been spotted by another reader somewhere along a drug trafficking route. The swerving was just an excuse to stop and search. They don't know the owner, they just know the vehicle history. Vigilant Solutions

• Rage+1 3

Glad you didn't get fucked with beyond the guy's idiocy.  Certainly glad nothing physical happened, but the harassment is more than you should ever have had to deal with.

In the aftermath of the  unrest went down last summer, my view of this  aspect of 'freedom and liberty' changed.  Yes, I was aware of people being arrested for "Driving while being black," but for some reason it just resonated with me in a stronger fashion.  I am also less "pro-police' than I used to be.  There should be  no reason for you as a black man to be fearful or concerned for your safety when you get pulled over.  As a white dude, I'm usually sitting there wondering how much the fine might be or how long this sumbeech is going to waste my time.  Meanwhile, you're truly wondering, "What the fuck is this dude gonna pull.  Am I safe?  Am I getting hauled in for horseshit reasons? "  It could go almost anywhere but good.

I'm sincerely sorry.  It needs to be corrected.  That is not "and justice for all"

All of that being said, the rental piece would have scared the fuck out of me...  "what if they find something?  I damned sure didn't put it there..."

Edited by slorch

Maybe there’s a new strategy for these guys with body cams to make it real awkward. “I saw how you winked at me before you turned on the camera! You sure do look good in that uniform! Do you think we could get together for a drink after your shift? Are you packing a standard issue 9mm? Nah, I bet you got a .45 magnum!” Please Facebook Live a similar approach bad a research study and report back. 

8 hours ago, RPM said:

Are you sure this was Lafayette, La and not Wise County, Tx? Seriously, that sounds exactly like a stop on 287. I bet you passed a plate reader somewhere and that car had been spotted by another reader somewhere along a drug trafficking route. The swerving was just an excuse to stop and search. They don't know the owner, they just know the vehicle history. Vigilant Solutions

Had this happen to me twice while working in Illinois, both times in a rental car. Told the guy I was working for to buy an old beater with Illinois plates. Same thing, brought out the K9s. Had the same fear, what if they found something, and it wasn't mine. I mean I looked white trash enough, it was oilfield work.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, RPM said:

I was driving in to Louisiana from Mississippi on HWY 61 and the minute I entered LA on that highway, I noticed 2 high tech cameras in the middle of nowhere on both sides of the highway looking as if they were snapping a pic of the driver and plates.  I immediately thought that was really odd considering there was nothing around. 

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

I was driving in to Louisiana from Mississippi on HWY 61 and the minute I entered LA on that highway, I noticed 2 high tech cameras in the middle of nowhere on both sides of the highway looking as if they were snapping a pic of the driver and plates.  I immediately thought that was really odd considering there was nothing around. 

Make sure you smile with your eyes next time and none of this will happen.

j/k this is fucking bullshit. 

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

I flew into Indianapolis and would drive over to Illinois, and worked up and down the Wabash river on both sides. So I crossed into both states several times per day. The speed limit was 50 mph on the Illinois side, even on major highways, so both stops were for speeding. The plates weren't always Indiana or Illinois on the rentals. One time I got one with New York plates. There is some sinister surveillance going on.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I am reading this thinking wtf. And then I read that Pancho was black and it all made sense. Did not know that. Bullshit. 

Like someone said above, zero chance that happens to me. I am officially a self-loathing American. This place sucks. 

This shit happens to white people in Iowa all the time, but that's only because there are so few black folks.  The few black folks here get fucked with plenty.  I remember one time we were driving from Des Moines to Iowa City for the Iowa/Iowa State game.  We were trying to decide who was going to drive, and my one buddy (black dude) offered to do it, but put out the caveat "it's going to take us longer, because if I drive 1 MPH over the speed limit, we're going to get pulled over.  You guys can get away with 10 over."  And he was right, so I drove.

Sucks that you had to go through this Pancho.  Predictable bullshit.  Glad that nothing serious happened.

• Hook 'Em 1

i dont always see eye to eye with you Pancho... but like Slorch said, in that situation  I am just pissed off that this asshole is pulling me over, and wondering how much my fine is gonna be and "goodbye" to 45 mins of my life.

you having to worry every second of that encounter about making a weird move, or if someone had used the rental before to take shit back and forth and just concerned that the cop would flat out lie is very stressing to my white ass.

glad it was just a waste of an hour of your day and nothing else, and good job on telling the cop no to the search.

Cop: "Son, do you know why I'm stopping you for?"
Pancho: 'Cause I'm young and I'm black and my hat's real low? Do I look like a mind reader, sir? I don't know. Am I under arrest or should I guess some more?
Cop: "Well, you was doing 55 in a 54.  License and registration and step out of the car.  Are you carrying a weapon on you? I know a lot of you are"
Pancho:  I ain't steppin' out of shit, all my paper's legit
Cop:  "Well, do you mind if I look around the car a little bit?"
Pancho:  Well, my glove compartment is locked, so is the trunk in the back.  And I know my rights, so you gon' need a warrant for that
Cop:  "Aren't you sharp as a tack? You some type of lawyer or something? Somebody important or something?"
Pancho: Well, I ain't passed the bar, but I know a little bit. Enough that you won't illegally search my shit
Cop: "Well, we'll see how smart you are when the K9 come!"
Pancho:  I got 99 problems, but a bitch ain't one – hit me

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Pancho said:

Just wanted to get this off my chest.  It still feels like I dreamt this as I can't believe it happened.  Not sure what to think really. 

That you should've been ticketed for fucking around with your phone and swerving on the road

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1