Bitcoin and other crypto-The CR thread

GRHorn

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

What a fucking loser.  It's Gisele man. This guy looks like he just rolled out of his bean bag chair and on to the stage. 

What a fucking fox. 

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The best part about all of this is it destroys the bullshit pseudo-intellectual façade these assholes had built up around effective altruism and longtermism. 

Here I agree with you. Effective altruism has weird communist vibe. It’s all for the greater good.

Edited by Humble Beast

25 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Like I said, weird knee jerk deflections kick in. Of course they are on the take.  So was Tony fucking Blair, Tom Brady, Gisele and Shaq. Why do you insist on telling your eyes that they are lying to you. Weird fanboi shit bro, but have fun. 

Inside Bahamas crypto festival where FTX CEO Bankman-Fried welcomed Bill  Clinton and Katy Perry | Daily Mail Online

Saying they are "on the take" suggests something nefarious. But there is nothing there. The dude donated money to all sorts of people and causes. And I'm sure the Clintons, like a lot of people, invested some in FTX as well. None of that means that the Clinton's controlled FTX or were secret masterminds as the original tweet implied. I mean fuck, do you really believe that fucking Shaq was in on the scam? Or, is it ever so possible, that, like countless others, he was fucking duped into investing/supporting something he didn't really understand? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Really weird strawman dude. 

How is that a strawman? Is this again one of those times when your comments are completely disconnected from the originating post? What point are you making? 

edit: I don't know what I even bother asking. You never give a straight response. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/19/2022 at 7:51 PM, Humble Beast said:

It’s suspect. 

Nobody @Anastasis? Nowhere in this post that (1) calls it "suspect," (2) quotes posts saying "there is definitely more to uncover here," (3) suggests "the politicians were in on it" and (4) specifically identifies the Clintons do you find any implication that the Clintons had some sort of control or say (i.e., "in on it") of the scam? Seriously? I know your thing is being obtuse and vague, but that is a bit much even for you. Again, what point do you think you are making? What deflections are you worried about? What do you think is being deflected if not the above non-sense? 

See you again shortly with a non-responsive response saying "its obvious" without specifically identifying anything. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 3

52 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

None of that means that the Clinton's controlled FTX or were secret masterminds as the original tweet implied.

Your take from that tweet is that she is suggesting, or other posters are arguing, that the Clintons controlled FTX or were secret masterminds? I don't think that you are really this stupid, but you are doing your best to suggest otherwise to the other posters here. 

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Your take from that tweet is that she is suggesting, or other posters are arguing, that the Clintons controlled FTX or were secret masterminds? I don't think that you are really this stupid, but you are doing your best to suggest otherwise to the other posters here. 

That is what "in on it" implies, meaning the person "in on it" has at least some degree of control or participation beyond being another person duped. But I agree, one of us looks really stupid here. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Explain to us all like we’re 5 year olds what point you are actually trying to make or kindly STFU and quit wasting everyone’s time.

15 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Weird knee jerk deflection kicking in for some of you. 

47 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You seem very triggered by people pointing out the pigs at the trough. 

So they are "in on it" in the same sense that every politician is "in on it" with every corporation since Citizen's United. Thank you for raising awareness to this really important point that everyone here wants to deflect from. 

An interesting theory that I’ve seen tossed around online is that Tether, and by connection FTX, are utilized for funding by intelligence ops. It would explain the secrecy surroundings these entities and Sam. It would also help explain why Tether hasn’t blown up yet despite years of red flags.

It’s pretty clear that cryptocurrency in general, and specifically Tether and FTX have been utilized for large scale money laundering. It wouldn’t surprise me learn that governments and intelligence services were participating. It’s something to follow. 

It's not reflexive. It's anticipated because it's so predictable. And it's so predictable because it's been happening for virtually ever. The GQP successfully incentivizes influence peddling (Citizens United), then when Dems, to their own detriment, don't unilaterally abstain from a practice the GQP puts minimal effort at this point in even trying to hide, the "both sides" point is implied. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I know. That's why it's really weird to watch y'all get so reflexively unhinged.  

It would be like saying you were in on Shkreli's pharm schemes because you benefited from the pharmaceutical industry. That isn't how the phrase is used.  It means actively participating in the illegality. And that's what the tweet implied and what I was responding to, nothing else. You're the one getting unhinged by what should have been obvious.  It is quite sad. 

Edited by Dahobbs

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It would be like saying you were in on Shkreli's pharm schemes because you benefited from the pharmaceutical industry.

Maybe if I sat on a stage with Shkreli bobbing my head to Wutang beats and cashing the checks with his signature on them. Do you realize how objectively stupid the stuff you are posting sounds?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Maybe if I sat on a stage with Shkreli bobbing my head to Wutang beats and cashing the checks with his signature on them. Do you realize how objectively stupid the stuff you are posting sounds?

Yes, the stuff I quote from you sounds fucking stupid. That's why I'm calling it out. You can't even acknowledge what words and idioms actually mean. It is pathetic. 

19 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

It's not reflexive. It's anticipated because it's so predictable. And it's so predictable because it's been happening for virtually ever. The GQP successfully incentivizes influence peddling (Citizens United), then when Dems, to their own detriment, don't unilaterally abstain from a practice the GQP puts minimal effort at this point in even trying to hide, the "both sides" point is implied. 

I just want to be sure I’m reading this right. Are you implying that your team’s politicians have been drug against their will into the influence peddling game?

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Yes, the stuff I quote from you sounds fucking stupid. That's why I'm calling it out. You can't even acknowledge what words and idioms actually mean. It is pathetic. 

Maybe go back and read the tweet that you quoted.  Try graphing the sentence or something? I have confidence that you can break through the fog. 

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Maybe go back and read the tweet that you quoted.  Try graphing the sentence or something? I have confidence that you can break through the fog. 

What do the words "in on it" mean in relation to criminal activity? Is the barista in on "in on" the robbery when the thieves give her an extra large tip the next time they order coffee? Was Andrew Johnson "in on" the assassination of Lincoln because he got to be President afterwards? Or, in order to be "in on it" does one have to be aware of the criminal nature of the conduct and directly or indirectly participate in it? How do you think that phrase has been used over the last 100 years? I'm sure, with much study, you can decipher this mystery. 

1 hour ago, Humble Beast said:

An interesting theory that I’ve seen tossed around online is that Tether, and by connection FTX, are utilized for funding by intelligence ops. It would explain the secrecy surroundings these entities and Sam. It would also help explain why Tether hasn’t blown up yet despite years of red flags.

It’s pretty clear that cryptocurrency in general, and specifically Tether and FTX have been utilized for large scale money laundering. It wouldn’t surprise me learn that governments and intelligence services were participating. It’s something to follow. 

Not one full page back, you approvingly cited a Tweet noting that SBF and FTX were different from the ordinary con artist because they sought out the spotlight, thrust themselves into the global debate with the Clintons and WEF, openly donating to Democrats, photos onstage with Gisele not to mention buying the naming rights to the Miami Heat arena and so on.

Now he’s “secretive” and that’s cause to give credibility to the idea that he’s actually a creation of the shadowy spy world. 

You can’t keep your own bullshit straight for four posts in a row. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

What do the words "in on it" mean in relation to criminal activity? Is the barista in on "in on" the robbery when the thieves give her an extra large tip the next time they order coffee? Was Andrew Johnson "in on" the assassination of Lincoln because he got to be President afterwards? Or, in order to be "in on it" does one have to be aware of the criminal nature of the conduct and directly or indirectly participate in it? How do you think that phrase has been used over the last 100 years? I'm sure, with much study, you can decipher this mystery. 

You didn't graph the sentence did you?

14 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Not one full page back, you approvingly cited a Tweet noting that SBF and FTX were different from the ordinary con artist because they sought out the spotlight, thrust themselves into the global debate with the Clintons and WEF, openly donating to Democrats, photos onstage with Gisele not to mention buying the naming rights to the Miami Heat arena and so on.

Now he’s “secretive” and that’s cause to give credibility to the idea that he’s actually a creation of the shadowy spy world. 

You can’t keep your own bullshit straight for four posts in a row. 

He can be out in the open with influence peddling and philanthropy while also being secretive about internal finances. I realize you may not be aware of a lot of the background, but he emergence story is shady. His co-founder lack of any story is shady. Who he owes money to being sealed is shady, even if Dahobbs says it’s legally justified. Why has he not been arrested already? It’s a pretty smelly situation.  

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You know what will surely address this issue?

Investigations of Hunter Biden.

That's the world we live in, and Ana is just fine with it.

You know that deep down inside you are a little bit surprised that that chucklefuck does not appear to be on the take in this case. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ted Cruz is Going to Bat for Cryptocurrency in the U.S. Senate:

The crypto miners have found an ally in U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz.

Riot Blockchain is the operator of the largest bitcoin mining facility in the country, and it's right here in the Lone Star State. Its facility in Rockdale has a total power requirement of 750 megawatts. That’s small potatoes compared to a 1 gigawatt facility the company is building in Navarro County, just outside Corsicana. That’s enough to power 300,000 to 1 million U.S. homes. When it’s fully online, the Navarro County operation will be the big boy on the block, the largest bitcoin mining facility in the world.

Cruz recently toured Riot Blockchain’s Rockdale facility and posted about it on social media. “I am proud to lead the fight of the crypto industry in the Senate,” Cruz said in his post. “Texas will continue to be the center for crypto innovation.”

Meanwhile, as work continues on what will be the largest bitcoin mining facility in the world, Riot Blockchain is facing resistance from locals in Navarro County. One resident in the county, Jackie Sawicky, started a petition and Facebook page to oppose the new operation. Sawicky and others are concerned that another crypto mining facility could cause additional strain on the Texas power grid and local water supplies.

Riot Blockchain didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Cruz, crypto bros and the like have no doubt heard these concerns before. To them, though, they’re unfounded. The senator has become a leading advocate for the industry in the last year. According to a January financial disclosure report, Cruz bought between $15,001 and $50,000 worth of bitcoin, which he and others have claimed could actually help stabilize the grid.

Proponents of crypto, like Cruz, say that when things get unstable, these mining facilities can power down quickly to give the grid a boost.

“One of the things that excites me most about crypto mining in Texas is the ability to enhance resiliency of the electric grid because, in a severe weather emergency, mining can be turned off instantaneously,” Cruz said in an emailed statement to the Observer. “This in turn immediately frees up substantial power for Texans to use, essentially allowing the mining facility to serve as a massive battery for the grid.”

Last August, Cruz fought against tax rules for crypto traders and brokers that were outlined in a bipartisan Senate bill. In March, he also introduced legislation that would keep the Federal Reserve from issuing its own digital currency to individuals. Earlier that month, President Joe Biden signed an executive order asking the Treasury Department and other federal agencies to look into how cryptocurrency could affect the country’s financial stability and security. This includes the consideration for the U.S. to make its own digital currency.

In a press release about his bill that would prevent the feds from doing this, Cruz said a U.S. digital currency could be used to monitor people’s transactions.

“The federal government has the ability to encourage and nurture innovation in the cryptocurrency space, or to completely devastate it,” Cruz said in the press release. “This bill goes a long way in making sure big government doesn’t attempt to centralize and control cryptocurrency so that it can continue to thrive and prosper in the United States. We should be empowering entrepreneurs, enabling innovation, and increasing individual freedom — not stifling it.”

Cruz said in his statement to the Observer that he’s advocated for the crypto industry because he believes in it and doesn’t want U.S. regulation to send it overseas. “This is a new industry, and I fought in the Senate last year against a harmful provision in the infrastructure bill because I was concerned the provision was going to harm the crypto industry in Texas and drive it overseas, killing innovation,” Cruz said. “I’m continuing to learn more and more about this industry, and I’m excited about the ways that crypto miners are identifying new environmentally friendly ways to mine such as capturing and using otherwise vented or flared methane.”

But, opponents of crypto argue the way the industry operates now is harmful to the environment and puts an unnecessary strain on the grid and the water supply. Jackie Sawicky in Navarro County also worries what this increased demand for electricity and water could do to people’s bills.

“It is like Econ 101,” she said. “When you put a demand of 200,000–1 million homes on the grid and the water, that increases demand and it’s going to increase prices. It’s absolutely obvious.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Humble Beast said:

He can be out in the open with influence peddling and philanthropy while also being secretive about internal finances. I realize you may not be aware of a lot of the background, but he emergence story is shady. His co-founder lack of any story is shady. Who he owes money to being sealed is shady, even if Dahobbs says it’s legally justified. Why has he not been arrested already? It’s a pretty smelly situation.  

Tell me you don't know why people in bankruptcy are required to create creditor's lists without telling me you don't know. Hint: it doesn't exist to tell the world who is owed money. It exists so that the creditors get notified that they have rights to pursue claims against the debtor in bankruptcy. That's it. Sealing the names isn't shady. The judge has those names. The trustee's office has those names. And the creditors will get those names. That's what matters. Also, just to be clear, it isn't just not shady to redact the names, it is probably legally required under the GDPR. 

Oh, and who exactly do you think is controlling these filings? Hint: it isn't SBF. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Tell me you don't know why people in bankruptcy are required to create creditor's lists without telling me you don't know. Hint: it doesn't exist to tell the world who is owed money. It exists so that the creditors get notified that they have rights to pursue claims against the debtor in bankruptcy. That's it. Sealing the names isn't shady. The judge has those names. The trustee's office has those names. And the creditors will get those names. That's what matters. Also, just to be clear, it isn't just not shady to redact the names, it is probably legally required under the GDPR. 

Oh, and who exactly do you think is controlling these filings? Hint: it isn't SBF. 

Ok. So that’s normal. Got it. Everything else I listed was shady beyond it being a fraud.